Pillars of Eternity 2 Deadfire won the Golden Cube Awards

Well would you look at that! Deadfire didn't just win the best desktop/console game for Unity, it even won the Golden Cube award! I say this is definitely well-deserved considering the fact that Deadfire is a criminally underrated gem. It even managed to beat Cuphead which makes it even more impressive. Congrats to Obsidian for this amazing milestone. With Microsoft's funding I can only see good things coming out from the talented developer over the coming years.

(Link provided below)

https://awards.unity.com/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=community_global_generalpromo_2018-12-27_awards&utm_content=winnersannounced_static-image

Edited by Sanjid099
  • Like 15

Congrats to the team!

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I must say I am pleasantly surprised by how much praise Deadfire has been gathering recently. I wonder if a strong reveal of Outer Worlds drew eyeballs toward Obsidian's earlier title. My impression on Deadfire's release was that it came out undetected. Reviewers like it alright, but not much attention afterwards. 

• Like 2

Maybe because the game is in a much better/more complete state as well.

It's definitely in a much better state now with all the DLC available. Good move on Obsidian's part to get that content out the door before the end of the year.

• Like 2

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Maybe because the game is in a much better/more complete state as well.

It's definitely in a much better state now with all the DLC available. Good move on Obsidian's part to get that content out the door before the end of the year.

Also, essentially almost a crime to release a game in a state that requires so much polishing for things to become seriously likeable. Perhaps this is one of the main reasons for the game bombing commercially? After all, PoE was released unfinished as well, and perhaps that is why the vast majority of buyers didn't stick around for Deadfire.

Unfinished? I don't think so, maybe unpolished, yes. Basically every game out since 2000 is supported by a pletora of patches and hotfixes, thats due to the complexity of games in most cases, and bad programming (pathfinder for example).

Obsidian has improved the game other than fixed various bug, but nothing game breaking. When it comes to like something its a matter of personal preferences, its pointless to discuss.

Edited by Lord Brunitius

You're right (regarding games released since 2000), but I'm inclined to think certain titles/series have failed because the initial release has been too unpolished, to the point of being unfinished. Obviously I cannot prove this.

I would have to have substantially more inside knowledge to be able to make a claim on whether the patching culture has led to complacency among game developers; i.e. a culture where it's okay to say something along the lines of, "Ahh, screw that for now, we'll fix it in a patch." I cannot say for certain whether this happens, but if I had to make a guess, it would be a resounding yes.

Unfinished? I don't think so, maybe unpolished, yes. Basically every game out since 2000 is supported by a pletora of patches and hotfixes, thats due to the complexity of games in most cases, and bad programming (pathfinder for example).

Deadfire looked smooth at launch, but it had couple bugs which really impacted the game in a bad way - saves didn’t import properly, dispositions and reputations were gained way to fast resulting in all partymembers hitting on PC pretty much as soon as they joined, the balance was ridiculously out of place. Oddly enough all those issues were addressed really quickly. I found the disposition issue to be especially damaging as it messed with companion system, giving a very poor first impression. While some issues are unavoidable, what confuses me the most is that those big issues didn’t seem hard to fix, and I have no idea how those issues flew under Obsidian’s radar, unless they got unintentionally broke right before release.

• Like 1

Deadfire looked smooth at launch, but it had couple bugs which really impacted the game in a bad way - saves didn’t import properly, dispositions and reputations were gained way to fast resulting in all partymembers hitting on PC pretty much as soon as they joined, the balance was ridiculously out of place. Oddly enough all those issues were addressed really quickly. I found the disposition issue to be especially damaging as it messed with companion system, giving a very poor first impression. While some issues are unavoidable, what confuses me the most is that those big issues didn’t seem hard to fix, and I have no idea how those issues flew under Obsidian’s radar, unless they got unintentionally broke right before release.

Precisely. And it's not the first time a game has, upon release, contained problems that are so blatantly obvious and serious that it's impossible to think the developer could have missed them. This kind of thing does not build trust. And trust is important.

Deadfire is great right now, don't get me wrong. But upon release -- well, I wouldn't be surprised if some people just threw it away and forgot about it.

• Like 1

Like a final boss that wasn't showing up, or when it did, it was invisible and no fight commenced. I lost trust in Obs after that.

Edited by Verde

You're right (regarding games released since 2000), but I'm inclined to think certain titles/series have failed because the initial release has been too unpolished, to the point of being unfinished. Obviously I cannot prove this.

I would have to have substantially more inside knowledge to be able to make a claim on whether the patching culture has led to complacency among game developers; i.e. a culture where it's okay to say something along the lines of, "Ahh, screw that for now, we'll fix it in a patch." I cannot say for certain whether this happens, but if I had to make a guess, it would be a resounding yes.

"Perfect is the enemy of the good."

It's not complacency; it's a business decision. As a business your incentive is to get the game out the door once it's in a playable condition, rather than racking up red ink to polish every little flaw. You may have some gamer grousing about it, but at least you're still solvent and able to produce more games.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."