Hi  all! I am currently running a complete playthrough, base game + All DLC on POTD as a battlemage (Tactician + Bloodmage). Could you guys advise me on what sorts of weapons would be good choices for such a character?

I'm currently using Modwyr + Rannig's Wrath (For action speed, helping out with both attacking and casting spells). I do have Citzal's, but I would prefer to dual-wield for penetrating strike. My playstyle is mostly prebuffing, before entering combat / casting CC & Damage spells (Think Ninaguth's grimoire + Zandethus' Draconic Fury). I would prefer to play with mainly one weapon set, as switching is a bit of a hassle in my opinion. I am still open to the idea, however. 

Thanks in advance!

Being immune to Flank is essential for Tactician imo. As far as I know, there are 2 weapons and 1 armor, obtainable early through midgame, granting immunity to Flank. Rapier, Club and Light Armor. The Rapier has Legendary PEN, cool tricks and can be bought out of Port Maje. The Club is not bad, due to modal and another in-game club. The Amor is also not bad. I'd decide on one of these, then decide the other hand. For lots of casting shield could be considered.   

• The raper is Squid's Grasp which is bought out of Dunnage.  Be ready to spend an Adra Ban to get rid of Calmo's Curse though.

The club is Kapana Taga which is looted off of Fyrgist who sails around the Black Isle.  Make sure you sink him with cannons.  Boarding is bugged with him and doesn't drop the weapon.

The armor is Gipon Prudenesco and is acquired through the Principi Vengeance ship fight.  Make sure you have no more than one positive rep with the Principi before you drop your rep with them.  Wipe out the Undercroft and/or kill Talfor who is part of Degnos' quest.  Or use the mod on the forum to spawn the ship.

• Like 1

Depends on where you plan on standing and what you want your character to do.  All advice is assuming you're running with a full party.

• Weapon lashes don't apply to spells.  There is Deltro's Cage Helm but that's a discussion for another time.
  • If you want to boost spell damage, you have a choice between Griffin's Blade, Magran's Favor, or Sun and Moon.  Each of these weapons either gives a flat boost to spell damage or boosts elemental PL.  Chromoprismatic Quarterstaff can give +1 to all element PLs if you want pure choice.
  • If you want to stand at the back and just shoot, Scordeo's Trophy is an interesting choice as you can upgrade it to reduce recovery time with each hit.  Won't make the pistol shoot faster but it will help with spells.  Other good options are The Red Hand, Spearcaster, and so on.
  • Blunderbusses are a good option if you want to really abuse Combusting Wounds.  See Kitchen Stove and Xefa's.
  • If you want to tank, I'd get Bronlar's Phalanx or the ice shield from BoW.
  • With a Tactician/Blood Mage I'd probably favor something outside of harms way and would either use dual pistols (Scordeo's/Thundercrack) or mix in something like Kitchen Stove so you can keep Thunderous Report on standby.  That or use the spell damage boosting items that were mentioned.  
  • A lot of this comes down to preference.  I like dual pistols because I like two pistols.  There's a lot that works so use something that will make you happy.
Edited by guildwriter

The goal .. of Tactician is to get Brilliant. That is the whole point of the class. It gets interesting when looking for Brilliant as a battlefield is dynamic, there are environmental elements, buffs, dampeners, and lots of bodies. The question every Tactician should ask imo what am I gonna do with Brilliant?

To the point. With a good setup - gear, abilities, party - I would think Tactician Battlemage can be played very aggressively since resource hungry Fighter and Wizard can be satisfied by Brilliant. To get most out of Tactician heavy micro is required 1. find Brilliant 2. use refreshed resources. This leaves out tank imo, who is more likely static and passive. Either be a heavy caster, the number of spells one can cast under constant Brilliant is game crashing or, using the awesome Fighter passives and abilities, become a dynamic melee damage dealer. 

Unless you're playing solo it's usually not worth it to force Brilliant as you won't even need the resources to begin with.  In the cases where you will need it it's pretty easy to force it (boss fights or specific Survivor fights that have a low amount of enemies).  So I wouldn't worry too much or at all about the setup.

Edited by guildwriter

Weapon lashes don't apply to spells.  There is Deltro's Cage Helm but that's a discussion for another time.

I’ve been out of the loop for quite some time, but hel beckoning and grave calling, the two weapons specifically asked about, used to benefit spells and in fact stack with each other. Sasha’s singing scimitar’s lightning lash upgrade also benefits spells. I think those are the only ones that do, though, barring some new DLC weapons.