Hello community!

I am a huge PoE fan and played the original game multiple times on PotD. Now I wanted to replay it one last time and import the character into my first PoE2:DF run. But I can't decide for a class...

I'd love my main PC to be a melee class with good enough dps for PotD that is viable as a single class. I was interested in a dual wielding Barbarian or Paladin but read that I'd lack behind in damage if I single-classed these in PotD... is there a solution for my very specific wishes or will I be even weaker than the companions? (Immersion horror!)

Thank you very much! :)

• Like 1

the single class melee classes are strong.

paladin is technical a support class with tanking attributes and from our pov, its desirability does kinda peters out after initial power tiers. even so, deadfire is flexible enough such that paladins may reliable dps, but is not actual how they is designed.  barbarian, monk, rogue and, surprising, ranger makes good melee, though we prefer our melee rangers to be multiclass.

our main reason for multiclassing ain't so much 'bout needed power, but 'cause am greedy and we like stretching the rule system to come up with quirky builds.  'cause deadfire is a game, am thinking folks spend far too much effort trying to build winning characters in deadfire when is a whole bunch o' unique builds which is nevertheless powerful in a potd run w/o necessarily being exploitive. deadfire is designed so any yutz with a couple firing neurons will be able to win, even in potd-- waste effort trying to find winning builds is kinda silly.  

with single class, is actual gonna be difficult to fail.  is only multiclass combos which makes it possible to create a character incapable o' handling a potd run.  

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Single Barbarian is solid and you can't really go wrong with it damage wise.  Single Paladin is an issue if you want to do damage as past PL3 or so your offensive talents grow thinner and thinner.  

really no point to single paladin

immolation are too weak and can even be access by multi paladin

Edited by uuuhhii

The DLC Seeker Slayer Survivor needs well thought out builds but the base game doesn't.  

Monks and chanters are really all you need, even for the DLCs.  If you're going single class melee, go monk.  The reason is because unlike the other melee classes monks NEVER RUN OUT OF RESOURCES.  

For example, once the rogue, barbarian, or fighter is out of their power resource, they're effectively useless.  The monk on the other hand is NEVER useless because he gets his resources from getting damaged.  

The DLC Seeker Slayer Survivor needs well thought out builds but the base game doesn't.  

Yeah I can't agree with that.  If you have a deep understanding of the game then that might seem true.  But I've cleared SSS using an Assassin/Skaen solo which is pretty far from powergaming.  There are all sorts of tricks and cheeses you can do to clear these fights that work for a lot of classes.

Edited by guildwriter
  • Like 1

Look, if you intend to abuse stealth and DOT mechanics, nothing beats a holy slayer.  I quit halfway because it was so boring.  At least with heralds you get to watch the futility of the enemies attacking you, which is entertaining.  

Edited by Marigoldran

Single class Monk and single class Barbarian are actually the best options for both classes in my experience. At least for the higher levels (which you reach quickly). Because the abilities from Power Level 8 and 9 are very, very good.

In addition to that you get access to some key abilities a lot earlier which also makes them more powerful. Look at Stunning Surge or Enduring Dance or Turning Wheel etc.

Let me post the gif of my single class Monk once more:

Hyleon_rocks.gif?dl=1

There's a similar one with Serafen as a single class Barb using Barbaric Retaliation with dual battle axes + Bleeding Cuts + Blood Storm + Patinated Plate (Juggernaut). Gets attacked by 20 tigers and retaliates them to death in 30 seconds or so. I somehow can't find it.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Pure class arcane archer seems also tempting by the way.

Double Death Ring per attack with driving flight, with good range, foe-only damages and sometimes insta-death seems a pretty fast and powerful way to deal AoE damages.

With Watershaper's Focus or Fire in the Hole you can even get 3 Death Rings (Driving Flight + additional jump from weapon) which kills many mobs right on the spot (also because of the triple weapon AoE and the "destroy" feature of Death Ring). One of the few things that can pulverize a pack of CRE_Dummies with one single attack.

Not really melee though - I just realize that dual mortars are also not melee. ;)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Depends. Getting some key abilities a lot earlier is an advantage. Higher Power Level is an advantage, too. Having less resources is a disadvantage.

Combining two classes which are front-loaded (like Rogue, Paladin or Ranger) is usually good. Other classes work quite well as single class throughout the whole game.

Edited by Boeroer