So How Do You Kill a herald with 19 armor and 160+ Deflection?

Priests don't help because they run out of spells.  The herald regens, btw.  

Cipher won't help because for a cipher to build focus, they need to do damage and there's no way a cipher can consistently damage this herald to get the focus for disintegrates.  I can kill everything else in the fight but the herald regens faster than I can do damage to it.  

Edited by Marigoldran

Then use the other enemies to gain focus and then cast Disintegrate on the herald?

160 deflection and 120 else is not really stellar defenses. Also 16 AR is not crazy high. Regenerating is the same as very high health pool. If you could kill the Dracolich for example you should def. be able to kill that herald.

Cast Blessing, Devotions and all your peeps will have +15 ACC, attack him with Body Blows, land a weakening ability and then cast Disintegrate and use attacks that target fortitude. That should be it.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Then use the other enemies to gain focus and then cast Disintegrate on the herald?

160 deflection and 120 else is not really steallar defenses. Also 16 AR is not crazy high.

Cast Blessing, Devotions and all your peeps will have +15 ACC, attack him with Body Blows, land a weakening ability and then cast Disintegrate and use attacks that target fortitude. That should be it.

I thought the correct answer was to stack more Heralds.

• Like 1

160 deflection and 120 else is not really stellar defenses. Also 16 AR is not crazy high. Regenerating is the same as very high health pool. If you could kill the Dracolich for example you should def. be able to kill that herald.

Sure, but it's permanent defenses without any buffing.  And no, regenerating is NOT very high health pool.  Potentially, it's INFINITE health pool.  

Edited by Marigoldran

1.  She can't be flanked.

2.  It's 19 AR with Stoic Steel.

3.  Shield cracks has to hit her, as do the follow up attacks to maintain it, which is impossible when the deflection is a permanent 160+.

It might just come down to the stripping option.  

Edited by Marigoldran

Sure, but it's permanent defenses without any buffing. And no, regenerating is NOT very high health pool. Potentially, it's INFINITE health pool.

Dude, that's what the weaking is for. Then you'll definitely do more damage than he can regenerate and then it's quite finite.

You can try the stuff or not. But don't abuse a (or multiple) "help" thread to praise the awesomeness of heralds. It slowly gets boring.

Your stats are nothing op and can be overcome quite easily - depends on your party comp. and if you are willing to change it. Or go the easy route and strip or even retrain before entering the arena.

• Like 1

No, I agree it can be optimized.  But the effectiveness to effort ratio of this character (and heralds in general) is the highest in the game.  All the other "powerful" builds requires some "trick" or that you go out any hunt out some important item.   Heralds don't need any trick.  Any noob can do it, and it works from the very beginning of the game. Just give them the best heavy armor and large shield you can find and they steamroll through almost everything.  Turn game on to fast speed and watch them slowly "autobot" through everything.  

Also, all of this marketing has worked.  As you said yourself: heralds have become ubiquitous.  They weren't as ubiquitous until I started posting.  

Edited by Marigoldran

Lots of players (over)stated that Herald are very strong in the beta phase of Deadfire. Including me. And they are still top notch.

Stacking Mith Fyr + Shared Flames for boosting party's dps, giving party-wide passive healing via Ancient Memory + Exalted Endurance while stacking AR and being tsnkyas heck. It's easy to build and easy to play.

Look at the oldest builds in the build list and you will see Heralds.

That's not new and nothing that became obvious just because you dropped the term "herald" in every of your last 10 posts. I mean if you want to promote Heralds because you think they are not recognized enough then please go ahead - I just don't think it's necessary.

• Like 4

But now everyone knows how awesome heralds are.  So now it's time to praise monks.  

Besides, why not both? My party comp at this point is monks and heralds.  

The monks aren't even optimized- like I forgot to get the "do raw damage to yourself and get wounds ability" for Xoti and she's still destroying things with her bare fists.  

This is an example of a top-of-the-line class.  Like you can be a noob or braindead with this class and still be OP, just like Heralds.  

Just spam "Whispers of the Wind" and get healing from the Heralds and everything just dies around her.  

Edited by Marigoldran

But now everyone knows how awesome heralds are.  So now it's time to praise monks.  

Besides, why not both? My party comp at this point is monks and heralds.  

The monks aren't even optimized- like I forgot to get the "do raw damage to yourself and get wounds ability" for Xoti and she's still destroying things with her bare fists.  

This is an example of a top-of-the-line class.  Like you can be a noob or braindead with this class and still be OP, just like Heralds.  

Just spam "Whispers of the Wind" and get healing from the Heralds and everything just dies around her.  

that ability was not very useful

wizard aoe always hit monk anyway

But now everyone knows how awesome heralds are. So now it's time to praise monks.

Maybe - where it fits. Not in every thread that has no hook to come up with that stuff. It's spamming.

Besides that, discovering Heralds and Whispers of the Wind now is like discovering the dessert on a table a year after the meal's over and everybody's at home watching Matlock. You wouldn't run through town, waving the old dessert around, ring everybody's doorbell and scream "I just discovered dessert and man it's sooo good! Did you know? Did you? Did you?". Well I hope you wouldn't...

• Like 3

Yes, but no one is reading any of those old posts anyways, which is why you constantly have to refresh ideas discovered in the past so people new to the forums will know what's going on.  

You're assuming everyone reading this is as jaded as you.  That's a bad assumption.  

Reminding people about good stuff is ok.

If you'd make a (honest) dedicated thread about something you like or recommend stuff where it's fitting then nobody would have asked how the ignore list works - or would have begged you to not express your excitement about X or Y in every thread. And that wasn't me.

Instead:

Thread about healing --> Use Whispers of the Wind!

2 (!) "Help" threads about how to kill a tanky herald are an excuse for bragging about same herald.

Thread that's for theorycrafting about the new subclasses --> single class vanilla monk rules (aka Whispers of the Wind is awesome)!

You see the pattern.

You're assuming that the people here like to read about your new found stuff in every thread. And that is a bad assumption.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 3