Sorry for the bump, though I guess this wasnt too long ago...!

I am trying to use the two handed axes just for flavour on my Fanatic. Will have a morningstar as his secondary...

Not sure how to quote on my phone, but an earlier poster asked if anyone knows how Amra's frenzy works/affects the Berserkers frenzy. Are they seperate conditions? Does one become the other?

Saving up to buy it at the mo on POTD... and still need to get my strength up. But has anyone tested this??

i love lord darryn much better (for my personal taste). but sadly obsidian design is so bad that i'm forced on morningstar because i wanted a devoted and i can't play optimally.

also, i can't decide on the stat attribute distribution. anyone any idea?

Edited by Archaven

:lol:

I meant:

I remember seeing a post somewhere that the Voulge stuff actually triggered off of everything, not just weapon attacks...

Because everything that goes through attack resolution (ACC vs. defense roll) is considered to be an attack.

Static Charge only gets applied by melee attacks afaik. But maybe the triggering on crit that releases the charges can be done with all kinds of attack rolls? Didn't use it for a while...

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

:lol:

I meant:

I remember seeing a post somewhere that the Voulge stuff actually triggered off of everything, not just weapon attacks...

Because everything that goes through attack resolution (ACC vs. defense roll) is considered to be an attack.

Static Charge only gets applied by melee attacks afaik. But maybe the triggering on crit that releases the charges can be done with all kinds of attack rolls? Didn't use it for a while...

On Wiki it says on Hit, period.  It has a seperate chance on hit with weapons to activate lightning strikes, but if the Wiki is right, Static Charge is just on hit/on crit generically. Which makes sense given that you can bind it to Druid and get +3 storm power levels.

Why don't you test it in-game and report? Then you know for sure and don't need to say "period" when just speculating. ;)

... What speculation? On the Wiki it does say that. I'm not speculating about what the Wiki says, nor am I claiming the Wiki is correct. I'm just saying that's what it is. The 'period' wasn't there for emphasis, but for clarity, as the question at hand was between two similar phrases. On Hit versus On Hit With Weapons. Just clarity, not speculation or certainty or anything.

For a two handed devoted I would pick morningstars from a powergaming perspective. Good uniques, high pen (important for devoted when you can't just swap to a high pen set), the best dual damage combo, crazy good modal that works well with Brute Force.

I like the voulge as well, and being able to swap between it and Wahai for big cleave is appealing tactically. Not being able to upgrade the voulge past superb hurts though. I use it a lot on non-devoted where you can swap it out late, but being locked in? Eeeh. Devoted / Berserker is the one to do it though.

Greatswords would be ideal thematically, and have a lot of cool uniques to play with. Willbreaker is really good though and I don't think any greatsword can outperform it consistently - the weak modal and greatsword tax is too great.

• Like 1

I'm playing a Sage on my current run, not a brute, but just want to chime in with the morningstar love. I don't even have Willbreaker yet, but Saru-Sichr has been proving to be quite effective on anything with higher slash armor than pierce/bludgeon. For a non-devoted, you can pair it with something like Whispers of the Endless Path for AoE fun, or just a strong slash option like Karaboru or Sanguine Greatsword.

For a Sage Morning Star is also a great pick. Force of Anguish targets fortitude as well.

Even on a melee Geomancer it's great because Takedown Combo targets fortitude and works very well with high dmg single target spells like Killing Bolt etc.

Why? Lord Darryn's Voulge also has two damage types and works very well with Barb/Devoted.

but it's missing out the fort debuffs. now i have to pick a no subclass fighter. i feel that the penalty of devoted outweighs the benefits. anyway regarding stats, is a 10 CON fine?

Edited by Archaven

Why? Lord Darryn's Voulge also has two damage types and works very well with Barb/Devoted.

but it's missing out the fort debuffs. now i have to pick a no subclass fighter. i feel that the penalty of devoted outweighs the benefits. anyway regarding stats, is a 10 CON fine?
You need to bear in mind that many enemies have extremely high Fortitude saves, and thus debuffing their Fort as a method of attacking them with Brute Force isn't as optimal as you might think. The Morningstar modal also comes with a hefty damage penalty, so it's not for 'free'.

Brute Force is definitely nice, but isn't the end of the world if you choose to go for a Devoted instead. I've made that very same decision with my next Watcher.

As for the Voulge, it's a nice weapon but in my opinion it is better served on a hybrid caster-fighter such as Fate Testarossa.

Edited by Yosharian

Not to derail but this makes me want to run a Tempest (Barb/Druid) with the voulge. Storms, frenzy, carnage....one woman wrecking crew.

I have been running just such a build (Fury/Fury Shaper) modeled somewhat on this build -- https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/102529-class-build-the-fate-testarossa/?hl=fate -- and I can say that it is quite a lot of fun.

You need to bear in mind that many enemies have extremely high Fortitude saves, and thus debuffing their Fort as a method of attacking them with Brute Force isn't as optimal as you might think. The Morningstar modal also comes with a hefty damage penalty, so it's not for 'free'.

Brute Force is definitely nice, but isn't the end of the world if you choose to go for a Devoted instead. I've made that very same decision with my next Watcher.

As for the Voulge, it's a nice weapon but in my opinion it is better served on a hybrid caster-fighter such as Fate Testarossa.

It's minus 25 fort which in most cases lowers fort below deflection. In the cases where it's not you automatically will attack deflection.

But besides Brute Force (which comes late and is a nice plus): it makes landing Mule Kicks a lot easier (which has +10 ACC). Thus means you will attack with Mule Kicks with the equivalent of +35 ACC. And that's what makes it so good. Combine it with Staggered (e.g. Spirit Frenzy) and we are already talking about -35 fortitude (eq. of +45 ACC with Mule Kicks). All done sort of "passively" while simply swinging your weapon. It's pretty awesome and totally worth the -25% dmg. Also helps your spellcasters a lot who want to land those nasty spells that target Fortitude (Combusting Wounds etcpp.).

Edited by Boeroer

It's minus 25 fort which in most cases lowers fort below deflection. In the cases where it's not you automatically will attack deflection.

But besides Brute Force (which comes late and is a nice plus): it makes landing Mule Kicks a lot easier (which has +10 ACC). Thus means you will attack with Mule Kicks with the equivalent of +35 ACC. And that's what makes it so good. Combine it with Staggered (e.g. Spirit Frenzy) and we are already talking about -35 fortitude (eq. of +45 ACC with Mule Kicks). All done sort of "passively" while simply swinging your weapon. It's pretty awesome and totally worth the -25% dmg. Also helps your spallcasters a lot who want to land those nasty spells that target Fortitude (Combusting Wounds etcpp.).

Deflection can be debuffed as well, no?

Sure.

The Brute though? Not. Pikes only lower deflection by 10 - I don't think you want to pick Pikes over Morning Star...

Besides that I don't know any modal or ability that automatically lowers deflection by 25 (or 35 with Spirit Frenzy), let alone without the use of resources.

Lowering Deflection (with the use of resources) also does nothing for your Mule Kicks and also doesn't help your party members to land fortitude spells which are often the most effective ones.

And besides all that: who said that debuffig deflection and debuffing fortitude is mutually exclusive?

You as a Brute have the Morning Star to lower Fort for yourself and Fort (and Will) for your buddies. Let the other guys take care of Reflex & Deflection (and Will). Maybe they can even add some CON afflictions to lower Fort by -45...

Edited by Boeroer