I quite like this one for the brute.  Heals while you fight and revives you when you're knocked out with the enchantment added.  You have to get most of the way through Beast of Winter to get it, however, and you'll need to be fairly high level already, so that makes it a bit less tasty.  https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/The_Twin_Eels

Another good choice is https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Lord_Darryn%27s_Voulge which is much easier to get (pretty much from the moment you get the ship after Port Maje) and has some tasty options.

In my opinion the best weapon for Brute (especially if Devoted is involved) is The Willbreaker.

It has two damage types (no need to switch), it has awesome enchantments and most importantly: it has Body Blows as modal which lowers Fortitude by 25. That's not only awesome for Brute Force (target Fortitude with every attack roll if it's the lower defense) but also for Knockdown and Mule Kick (targets Fortitude).

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 3

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Crush only = inferior once Devoted is involved. Also inferior modal. And comes pretty late.

Not really in my opinion. With a rogue, you can get it pretty early, if you buy two death wardstones at the orlan peddler in neketaka. You can lure the mobs away with sparkcrackers and to be safe, get the leap boots. You can always use smoke veil to get out, if they see you. With 8 diplomatic you can be friends with nemnok.

The downside is, you miss out the blue items, because the enemies vanish i believe.

Crush only = inferior once Devoted is involved. Also inferior modal. And comes pretty late.

Not really in my opinion. With a rogue, you can get it pretty early, if you buy two death wardstones at the orlan peddler in neketaka. You can lure the mobs away with sparkcrackers and to be safe, get the leap boots. You can always use smoke veil to get out, if they see you. With 8 diplomatic you can be friends with nemnok.

The downside is, you miss out the blue items, because the enemies vanish i believe.

that merchant didn't sell any wardstone since 4.0

not sure if it was by design or luck or bug

No matter what you do, you still can get the Willbreaker earlier - and it's still the superior weapon. ;)

I mean sure: if you don't go Devoted then nothing is stopping you from using weapon A first and change to the staff later once you get it. For Devoted running around with a meh quarterstaff until you get Chromoprismatic Staff is suboptimal.

Edited by Boeroer

Chronoprismatic Quarterstaff. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every mofo in the dungeon, accept no substitutes.

Eh. Staves aren't really my thing.

In my opinion the best weapon for Brute (especially if Devoted is involved) is The Willbreaker.

It has two damage types (no need to switch), it has awesome enchantments and most importantly: it has Body Blows as modal which lowers Fortitude by 25. That's not only awesome for Brute Force (target Fortitude with every attack roll if it's the lower defense) but also for Knockdown and Mule Kick (targets Fortitude).

I'll consider Willbreaker. What's your opinion about the two-handed axes? They look pretty cool too.

Chronoprismatic Quarterstaff. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every mofo in the dungeon, accept no substitutes.

I'll consider Willbreaker. What's your opinion about the two-handed axes? They look pretty cool too.
Bleeding Cuts is very good with Blood Thirst. And both axes are nice. But they have the same problem: single damage type (slash) which is bad for a Devoted. If you are no Devoted then they are a good pick. And Amra you can get very early. Amra also allows to put Blood Frenzy onto enemies in an AoE since its Carnage-like ability can crit. You need 25 MIG though.

In a testing setup with a single class Barb + Retaliation (which omits recovery and thus favors battle axes with bleeding cuts) the Willbreaker was still equally good because you will hit/crit more often.

Seriously: I think there is no better weapon option (if you look at the whole playthrough from beginning to end) than Morning Star for a Brute - if you don't want to switch weapons. If you want to switch then of course there's always an optimal weapon for every encounter. And Chromoprismatic Staff is very potent.

If you have a Beckoner in the party and you are a Berserker then Grave Calling is also top notch. Of course it's not two handed. Just as an example for a weapon that is very good with the right "conditions".

Morning Star is always good and never bad for a Brute - that's why I think it's he best pick overall.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Bleeding Cuts is very good with Blood Thirst. And both axes are nice. But they have the same problem: single damage type (slash) which is bad for a Devoted. If you are no Devoted then they are a good pick. And Amra you can get very early. Amra also allows to put Blood Frenzy onto enemies in an AoE since its Carnage-like ability can crit. You need 25 MIG though.

In a testing setup with a single class Barb + Retaliation (which omits recovery and thus favors battle axes with bleeding cuts) the Willbreaker was still equally good because you will hit/crit more often.

Seriously: I think there is no better weapon option (if you look at the whole playthrough from beginning to end) than Morning Star for a Brute - if you don't want to switch weapons. If you want to switch then of course there's always an optimal weapon for every encounter. And Chromoprismatic Staff is very potent.

If you have a Beckoner in the party and you are a Berserker then Grave Calling is also top notch. Of course it's not two handed. Just as an example for a weapon that is very good with the right "conditions".

Morning Star is always good and never bad for a Brute - that's why I think it's he best pick overall.

I plan on doing Devoted/Berserker so I guess axes are out. I'll give Willbreaker a spin.

Great. Good combo, especially when wearing Devil of Caroc + Helm of the Falcon.

Great looks, great item synergy and no Confusion.

You can get Willbreaker from Crookspur pretty early if you have a good sneaker. Or just pick up Saru Sichr from Arkemyr's Manor until you are good enough for Crookspur - this can be done as soon as you get to Nekataka.

Edited by Boeroer

In case of Berserker I'd say Brute is pretty good because first of all less Power Level means less self damage and also the healings of the Fighter helps to counter the high self damage even more.

Single class Berserker is better on the higher levels when speaking about offense (in my opinion) but you have to get there and Devoted + Berserker (= insane PEN, higher crit damage, higher crit rate, Cleaving Stance, more resources from two pools etc.) is fun and great during the whole playthrough. I did a Berserker/Devoted as first MC and now have played several single class Barbs. I can recommend both. Maybe in your case I would stick to Brute. Just a feeling though.

Edited by Boeroer

I really like Karabörü. (for devoted beserker)

First of all i'd reccomend greatswords because their modal gives you 15% increased damage. With all the accuracy you get from conquerer stance and disciplined strikes you can afford to give up some accuracy.

You get improved crit damage and an aoe cone attack that triggers on crit straight of the bat.

To really use this weapon you need a chanter in your group though. You can get another 20% crit damage if you have 4 of your allies die in combat. This is usually kinda awkward to do but it counts summons so having your chanter summon skeletons just once will trigger the full buff.

I think this is they way to go if you want to hit as hard as you can. Hope it helps :)

Edited by eternalsins

The weapon is nice. It couldn't quite compete during testing sessions when you look at sustained damage but it's not bad.

The modal of Great Swords gives you +30% bonus damage I think, not +15%? And it means -10 accuracy? Since you want to crit as often as possible with Karabörü you wouldn't want to use the modal - which makes it rather pointless in my opinion.

However - the already high PEN of a Devoted/Berserker is enough to deal with the low base PEN of Great Swords, it has dual damage and it looks fantastic (for me that's important as well). It's also easy to get. So overall I think it's a nice alternative.

Also Sanguine Great Sword can be good because it heals you - which can be important on a Berserker. Twin Eels as well as somebody else proposed earlier.

Do not use Voidwheel! ;)

Another very strong weapon is Engoliero do Espirs - if it wouldn't come so late that would be my no. 1 despite the single damage type. The Harvest enhantment is so powerful...

You are right its 30%.

Berserker and disciplined strikes offer alot of hit to crit conversion so you can get away with lowering your accuracy a bit.

I think it affects you more in the beginning of the game since she modal takes off a flat 10 acc when you only have only 40 acc right at the start compared to 115 acc at the end of the game.

I also really like sanguine greatsword since it makes your mule kicks super accurate. Great fun to play pingpong with bosses.

Sanguine is kinda hard'ish to get though.

Edited by eternalsins

Another very strong weapon is Engoliero do Espirs - if it wouldn't come so late that would be my no. 1 despite the single damage type. The Harvest enhantment is so powerful...

The Eager Blade is a great early alternative. It's only slightly weaker. Though not nearly as cool, of course, and does not provide healing/raw lash.

There is also the Lord Darryn's Voulge which oozes flavor.

Edited by Haplok