is the nvidia 1080 gtx 'future proof'?

Katphood

I was thinking of building myself a new pc and my goal is to be able to play 80% of the current games on the market at 4K 60fps.

I also want it to be strong enough for modding and such. This is what I have in mind:

Is the gtx 1080 8mb a good card for the above tasks?! or should I wait for any upcoming gpu?

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

1) No GPU is future proof, even though people might get longer out of the Pacsal (10xx) series because the Turing (20xx) aren't faster for rasterization they're also 2 years old.

2) The 2070 has been released and is as fast as the 1080 so it's worth checking the prices of each.

3) The 1080 will not have advanced features of the Turing series but you can't run them at 4k 60fps in most cases.

4) I own a 1080 and 4k fps is possible in a lot of current games, probably not 80% of the AAA, definitely not for next years games.

It's reasonable to still buy the 1080 if it's cheaper than the 2070 but if you're targetting 4k 60fps then more powerful cards will allow that more.

Edited by AwesomeOcelot
  • Like 1

4k/60fps is more 1080Ti/ RTX 2080/Ti territory if you want it consistently. But the top end RTX cards are overpriced for their conventional performance with there being very few titles using RTX as well, and the 1080Ti is discontinued. There isn't really an alternative though unless you're willing to drop the settings a bit.

I don't think it's a great time to be buying a graphics card to be honest. Better than when the mining craze was at its height to be sure, but RTX is immature, the best AMD card is around 1080 level so there's no top level competition and there should be 7nm cards available next year from AMD and probably from nVidia- and the RTX tech will presumably mature and get better adoption in games when they go 7nm as well. But there's always limited point in waiting, as there will inevitably be another new release to wait for.

• Like 1

It's difficult to recommend a 2080Ti to someone looking at a 1080 since the cost discrepancy is so massive* even though it is the fastest. He'd be looking at roughly the same cost to buy a 2080Ti as to build an entire 1080 based system.

*OK, it's Boxing Day sales, but I could literally buy 2.9 1080s for the price of the cheapest 2080Ti at the moment...

Turing is faster at rasterization than Pascal, I know since I have a pc with 2080ti and a pc with 1080ti, and 2080ti more fps in pretty much all the games

When they were both available the 1080 Ti was cheaper than the 2080 let alone the 2080 Ti. Nvidia can slap whatever label and branding they want on these cards, the 2080 Ti is $500 more than the 1080 Ti was at launch.

It's difficult to recommend a 2080Ti to someone looking at a 1080 since the cost discrepancy is so massive* even though it is the fastest. He'd be looking at roughly the same cost to buy a 2080Ti as to build an entire 1080 based system.

*OK, it's Boxing Day sales, but I could literally buy 2.9 1080s for the price of the cheapest 2080Ti at the moment...

Makes me wonder how a rig with 2x 1080 would work compared to a rig equipped with a single 2080Ti.

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Probably not that well since 'classic' SLI is deprecated as the new cards use NVLink, and it's always been a bit variable in terms of support/ stability and practical benefit. Would be an option if there was also more DX12/ Vulkan support, but there isn't. At that level of cost the Turing cards would be the best option, though they're not great value in an absolute sense.

• Like 1

My 1080ti is still doing rather well, I've been able to run games fluidly at 4k - people told me it wouldn't be possible and yet I've uploaded a few videos to showcase how smoothly it performs on both my 4k television and 4k monitor. Seems like it will last me a long time but I think it more or less depends on where devs want gaming development to go. What new engines will arrive and will they focus on utitlizing different software and hardware features? Only time will tell.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...