Lowering Difficulty Level?

Can you not do this in the current area? I have found Seeker, Slayer, Survivor to be completely unenjoyable at Veteran level, enough so that I might just not continue the game. However, when I try to set it to Classic it tells me that 'Difficulty changes will take effect on any map you have not yet visited.' I've already completed the first Rite challenge and found that I'm no longer having fun with the game. Can't I switch difficulty now? I'm looking for a more casual experience. I don't wish to have to slow down combat, micromanage each character, and spend an hour getting through part of the fight only to get destroyed later on. That's not recreation to me.

Every battle in the arena from now on will be at Classic if you switch to Classic. If you really want to keep it casual you may be best switching to Storytime, the DLC fights are pretty gnarly

But what about the current battle? Can I lower the difficulty on that?

Once you have entered a screen, you cannot change the difficulty for that screen. As previously suggested, go back to a previous autosave and lower difficulty. You don't have to go back to the beginning of the DLC, just the save before your current fight. As a hint, always do a quicksave before you select the arena battle.

Alternately you could go back to a previous save (perhaps even before entering the DLC) and carry on with the rest of the game coming back later if you choose - or not.

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

Actually, I've left the game at Veteran, but I've disabled level scaling. Even though the DLCs may be aimed at higher level players turning off scaling actually made it much more comparable to the base game difficulty-wise. The fights can still be unpredictable, but they're not completely overwhelming and time-consuming.

Actually, I've left the game at Veteran, but I've disabled level scaling. Even though the DLCs may be aimed at higher level players turning off scaling actually made it much more comparable to the base game difficulty-wise. The fights can still be unpredictable, but they're not completely overwhelming and time-consuming.

:-D. Yes, because base game suffers from the problem of you being overleveled for the content no matter what difficulty you play on. 

Difficulties differ by enemy composition and stats. While I could see high level buffs getting dropped (game doesn't support it currently so it might take some programing time) it sounds troublesome to have enemies spawn in/out when changing difficulty. Therefore difficulty changes take place between maps.