Have you noticed this with traps? Cursor bug, I presume.

I believe a new bug has been introduced in one of the patches. Has anyone else seen this?

When you're in a dungeon with a trap in it, if you happen to move your cursor over the trap, your cursor will change into the "disable trap" thing EVEN IF THE TRAP HASN'T BEEN DETECTED YET. That's mightily strange, I would say.

I've got the can't actually pick locks bug, on a brand new character as well as older ones (the one I checked had it too anyway) and the only mod I'm using ups the level cap to 33 so I don't see that getting in the way of lock picking. I haven't seen anyone report it in the bug forums though, and since I was running a mod I didn't know whether to look there or at PoE since I would have assumed if it was common (picking locks ad infinitum without the items opening) that people would be talking about it.

It does seem like it's only a couple containers, but all doors basically I have had to find a key. Of course I have the mechanic focused character for traps, but she's rubbish at locks.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe a new bug has been introduced in one of the patches. Has anyone else seen this?

When you're in a dungeon with a trap in it, if you happen to move your cursor over the trap, your cursor will change into the "disable trap" thing EVEN IF THE TRAP HASN'T BEEN DETECTED YET. That's mightily strange, I would say.

Yes, I started having the same issue. It breaks immersion unfortunately.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Being able to disable trap without detecting it doesn’t seem like a bad idea - they are all built into the environment in a visible way, so if player can’t spot it, why not be able to disable it as well? As such perception check acts as a nice bonus but isn’t required to disable a trap while being very useful to have.

Being able to disable trap without detecting it doesn’t seem like a bad idea - they are all built into the environment in a visible way, so if player can’t spot it, why not be able to disable it as well? As such perception check acts as a nice bonus but isn’t required to disable a trap while being very useful to have.

How does one disable a trap that one can't detect? By triggering it of course. :wacko:

How does one disable a trap that one can't detect? By triggering it of course. :wacko:

From a roleplaying reason - sure. Your party didnt detect it, and therefore doesn't know that it is there.

However, traps are already designed in a way, that the player can't spot them and avoid them, even if the party cannot. So there is a break in "immersion" or: there is already discrepancy between what characters know, and what the player knows. Traps could only appear visually on the map, if they were detected. As such, I can see a benefit of allowing the player to disable those traps as well rewarding player interaction with the level (aka. spotting the trap "manually"). Counter argument that as RPG traps should be detectable and disableable by player if charcters can't see them is valid, and I won't argue with that, but if that is the design then traps should also be concealed from the player if not detected. 

Plus there is foreknowledge when you know that a trap is there because you've already played the game. 

But when all is said and done there is the notion that a CRPG should take into account the character's skill instead of a player's ability to play a game. It's a lot easier to stick to that principle when you're playing pen and paper RPGs and everything hangs on the roll of a die. In a videogame you often have the option to make up for a character's shortcomings with your own skill. Take Fallout New Vegas for instance, a character's skill is almost irrelevant compared to the player's ability to play a first person shooter which is why I like Alpha Protocol since the character's skill will severely impact your ability to aim. 

Of course even when playing pen and paper you can get clues that do not come from the game. So in a computer game you can as the player notice something odd and suspect the presence of a trap but in a pen and paper game you may notice that the game master is spending a little more time than usual looking at his or her notes or that there is some die rolling happening on the other side of the screen. ;)

• Like 1

Plus there is foreknowledge when you know that a trap is there because you've already played the game. 

This is metagaming and has nothing to do with whether the trap display mechanics in the game works or not. I'm arguing it doesn't, for reasons presented above.

The first play-through is the closest you're going to come to a PnP experience with this game, so players like me who waited for all the DLC will want to enjoy that experience. That's why I'm having to hold off until this is fixed.

The first play-through is the closest you're going to come to a PnP experience with this game, so players like me who waited for all the DLC will want to enjoy that experience. That's why I'm having to hold off until this is fixed.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but you may have to resign to the fact that not every bug will be fixed in the end. So you have to make the compromise and ask "is this bug worth waiting for EOL for?"

• Like 1

Nerf Troubadour!

I don't want to rain on your parade, but you may have to resign to the fact that not every bug will be fixed in the end. So you have to make the compromise and ask "is this bug worth waiting for EOL for?"

Well thanks for pointing that out, or I might never have known. :facepalm: