So, I started my 'true' playthrough of the game with all the DLC out. I decided to rock inquisitor with ascended as my cipher subclass, but I am getting brutally stuck in character creation paralysis and having trouble pushing forward in the game without the niggling doubt in the back of my mind going "Your character isn't mean enough to beat the megabosses" and for this playthrough I intend to do a complete 100 percent PotD run. I'll be rocking the characters this game gives me, but no created ones.

So, I guess i am looking for some of you terrible wonderful powerbuilding masters to reassure my fears and paranoias about this game XD

As long as you do not intend to solo the mega bosses you will be fine. Plus, you can always retrain your abilities at any shop.

I always like to have a build that COULD solo a megaboss. I'm not sure inquisitior has that build, and I stared at Herald for literally 2 hours. But Cypher just means a lot more in the game than chanters do. They just have more on the roleplaying side and my char import was a cipher (Sadly not my backlash cypher as I did not finish that game before Obsidian nerfed it)

As long as you do not intend to solo the mega bosses you will be fine. Plus, you can always retrain your abilities at any shop.

I always like to have a build that COULD solo a megaboss. I'm not sure inquisitior has that build, and I stared at Herald for literally 2 hours. But Cypher just means a lot more in the game than chanters do. They just have more on the roleplaying side and my char import was a cipher (Sadly not my backlash cypher as I did not finish that game before Obsidian nerfed it)

As far as i know, Inquisitor can not solo all mega bosses, but Herald can. Belranga is pretty easy with him. The Ooze is probably the hardest one.

The main issue with the cipher is his dependency on the duration of his afflictions. Enemies with high resolve and high defenses (like mega bosses) greatly cripple the effectiveness of a spell oriented cipher. Also the ascendant should be played as a ranged caster (to use as many spells as possible while "ascended") which means he's not a tank and he's not suited to solo the bosses. Soulblades are better for a tank role and for solo. I think the inquisitor soulblade is also able to deal with all mega bosses (Dorudugan might be the hardest one however).

The main issue with the cipher is his dependency on the duration of his afflictions. Enemies with high resolve and high defenses (like mega bosses) greatly cripple the effectiveness of a spell oriented cipher. Also the ascendant should be played as a ranged caster (to use as many spells as possible while "ascended") which means he's not a tank and he's not suited to solo the bosses. Soulblades are better for a tank role and for solo. I think the inquisitor soulblade is also able to deal with all mega bosses (Dorudugan might be the hardest one however).

Funnily my last two runs were soulblades, one monk and one fighter. But they just nerfed soulblade and, like, flames seems to spike higher damage even after it, too got nerfed. I might go back to soulblade if that's really a thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Heralds (Paladin/Chanter).  They can solo the mega bosses.  

In my next playthrough, I will build my entire party to be chanters and tanks.  

This is wrong for Dorudugan. Even a highly min maxed herald will die to Dordugan in a solo melee fight. You can cheese it by distracting him with skeleton summon chant while you poke him at range for 28 minutes straight. But no you can't go toe to toe meleeing Dorudugan. 

This is wrong for Dorudugan. Even a highly min maxed herald will die to Dordugan in a solo melee fight. You can cheese it by distracting him with skeleton summon chant while you poke him at range for 28 minutes straight. But no you can't go toe to toe meleeing Dorudugan. 

The herald can tank Dorudugan with the right build, however most of his fireballs will land near and heal him - that's why it's better to stay at range.

Edited by Kaylon
  • Like 1

The herald can tank Dorudugan with the right build, however most of his fireballs will land near and heal him - that's why it's better to stay at range.

Wait, have you tested this? I would love to know that build actually! Also, I just realized you are the guy on youtube I watched fight Dorudugan. Wow! haha 

Also will that tank herald build be able to kill Dorudugan or is it just a case of not dying but unable to kill Dorudugan either? 

On a not-quite-megaboss topic, I'm taking my solo POTD Tactician/Bloodmage thru Forgotten Sanctum and I've really hit a roadblock on the first Oracle fight.  The Oracle itself is immune to flank so I keep running out of resources since I can't get Brilliant. I'm blowing all my spells basically taking down the helper mobs and then it's hard to stay alive 1v1 vs the Oracle boss.  My melee attacks on him basically do nothing (with sun-n-moon).

I've tried loading up on 10 heal pots, but I chug thru them. I've tried Plague of Insect scrolls but they don't seem to interrupt him.  Dampner seems to do nothing on him.  Nor does Crushing Doom from what I can see.  Should I be using other scrolls / spells?  His beam attacks just start wearing me down, and the one that makes your heath bar disappear is really tough.

Tips appreciated!

EDIT:  So as confirmed with VictorCreed/RavenDarkhome and tested myself, you can use a scroll of withdrawal after killing the helper mobs and reset the fight so it's only you vs the Oracle.  At that point, with a stack of heal pots, you can cast Conc Crushing Doom on him repeatedly (using Blood Mage to reset the spell slot, and heal pots to keep from dying from the damage and Oracle's damage....) ... throwing in things like combusting wounds, scrolls of plague of insects / earth's embrace, and maybe using Concelhaut pet for extra Doom PL level.  It takes a bit of luck but you can get it down. 

Pro-tip:  having concelhaut and nemnok in your packs makes for some fun dialog choices in FS.

Thx

Edited by brasilgringo

Really.  Consider the Herald.  The strongest extended-fight character in the game.  

I've tried out the herald and min maxed it to hell. I know what works and what doesn't work as I've sinked alot of hours searching the forums and wiki and in-game testing to develop an optimal build. In a melee fight, the herald dies.

So I'm waiting for Kaylon now who apparently knows a build that can facetank Dordugan solo without killing Dordugan. I'm skeptical but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. 

Wait, have you tested this? I would love to know that build actually! Also, I just realized you are the guy on youtube I watched fight Dorudugan. Wow! haha 

Also will that tank herald build be able to kill Dorudugan or is it just a case of not dying but unable to kill Dorudugan either? 

The build is nearly the same as the one from the Sigilmaster video, but using Rekvu's Casque & Cloak instead. The only tricky part is to get all your melee resists high enough (without relying on potions) - maybe I will post a little video to show how it works.

PS. In the FS expansion I think there's also a new pet giving +1 armor which would make things even easier. 

The build is nearly the same as the one from the Sigilmaster video, but using Rekvu's Casque & Cloak instead. The only tricky part is to get all your melee resists high enough (without relying on potions) - maybe I will post a little video to show how it works.

PS. In the FS expansion I think there's also a new pet giving +1 armor which would make things even easier. 

Nope, it won't work. Don't say stuff when you haven't even tried it yet. You could have said you know a build that MIGHT work. Not a build that works. Now you just look stupid. 

Because I can tell you now, I've done that and it's impossible to do it solo. The herald can't tank Dorudugan even with your "right" build. However with a duo healer, it's doable. 

What about a Paladin/Blood mage, I think with infinite spell resource it is possible to tank Dorudugan.

You were in my highest deflection post when I recommended Nalpazca/Blood mage as the closest. The problem is his cleave. You will need at least 240 Deflection for that to reliably miss you. 

• Like 1

Nope, it won't work. Don't say stuff when you haven't even tried it yet. You could have said you know a build that MIGHT work. Not a build that works. Now you just look stupid. 

Because I can tell you now, I've done that and it's impossible to do it solo. The herald can't tank Dorudugan even with your "right" build. However with a duo healer, it's doable. 

I never make such statements without testing. When I'm not sure or I don't test I would say "I think" or 'it might work". If you were smart you would have found by yourself by now with the clues I have given and instead of posting crap you would have said "I wasn't able to find a way" instead "you can't do it". But after I will show how it's done it's you who will look even more stupid.

On a not-quite-megaboss topic, I'm taking my solo POTD Tactician/Bloodmage thru Forgotten Sanctum and I've really hit a roadblock on the first Oracle fight.  The Oracle itself is immune to flank so I keep running out of resources since I can't get Brilliant. I'm blowing all my spells basically taking down the helper mobs and then it's hard to stay alive 1v1 vs the Oracle boss.  My melee attacks on him basically do nothing (with sun-n-moon).

I've tried loading up on 10 heal pots, but I chug thru them. I've tried Plague of Insect scrolls but they don't seem to interrupt him.  Dampner seems to do nothing on him.  Nor does Crushing Doom from what I can see.  Should I be using other scrolls / spells?  His beam attacks just start wearing me down, and the one that makes your heath bar disappear is really tough.

Tips appreciated!

EDIT:  So as confirmed with VictorCreed/RavenDarkhome and tested myself, you can use a scroll of withdrawal after killing the helper mobs and reset the fight so it's only you vs the Oracle.  At that point, with a stack of heal pots, you can cast Conc Crushing Doom on him repeatedly (using Blood Mage to reset the spell slot, and heal pots to keep from dying from the damage and Oracle's damage....) ... throwing in things like combusting wounds, scrolls of plague of insects / earth's embrace, and maybe using Concelhaut pet for extra Doom PL level.  It takes a bit of luck but you can get it down. 

Pro-tip:  having concelhaut and nemnok in your packs makes for some fun dialog choices in FS.

Thx

If you cant get brilliant its very easy to just spam the blood mage ability and the concelhaut draining missilies. They heal like crazy and have huge range. I used this on Belranga for example as well.

If you cant get brilliant its very easy to just spam the blood mage ability and the concelhaut draining missilies. They heal like crazy and have huge range. I used this on Belranga for example as well.

What was the rest of your Belranga strategy?  I figure I will stack Dex affliction resistance items (Gywin's Bridal, Engwithian Bracers, Fighter talent) and try to keep some spiders between her and my toon.  But after that?

What was the rest of your Belranga strategy?  I figure I will stack Dex affliction resistance items (Gywin's Bridal, Engwithian Bracers, Fighter talent) and try to keep some spiders between her and my toon.  But after that?

1) Have dex afliction immunity item, this is critical - there are boots from the DLC boat, i used those.

2) I possitioned myself at the entrance, the small spiders got in between the boss and me, i let those alive whole fight to ensure i couldnt be melee hit by the boss

3) buff myself, and keep draining wall up, make sure it hits as many targets as possible (this way you will have all the buffs forever), make sure you have unbending, with unending duration it will stack and stac kand it will heal for 200+hp per tick

4) kill about 100 of the small spiders to get 100 debuffs on the boss, just make sure you dont touch those infront of the boss. I used draining missiles and sometimes chillfog

5) after i had the stacks i used the draining missiles to kill the boss. I didnt bother with other spells and played it safe. Use only Draining missiles and draining wawe to keep it up. The missiles have huge range, so you are safe from the boss. You cant use the beam spells, because you would hit the small spiders. Freezing pillar has too short range and it would probably hit the spiders too. 

Edited by Bhall
  • Like 2

1) Have dex afliction immunity item, this is critical - there are boots from the DLC boat, i used those.

2) I possitioned myself at the entrance, the small spiders got in between the boss and me, i let those alive whole fight to ensure i couldnt be melee hit by the boss

3) buff myself, and keep draining wall up, make sure it hits as many targets as possible (this way you will have all the buffs forever), make sure you have undying, with unending duration it will stack and stac kand it will heal for 200+hp per tick

4) kill about 100 of the small spiders to get 100 debuffs on the boss, just make sure you dont touch those infront of the boss. I used draining missiles and sometimes chillfog

5) after i had the stacks i used the draining missiles to kill the boss. I didnt bother with other spells and played it safe. Use only Draining missiles and draining wawe to keep it up. The missiles have huge range, so you are safe from the boss. You cant use the beam spells, because you would hit the small spiders. Freezing pillar has too short range and it would probably hit the spiders too. 

Man, what an *amazing* strategy!  Thanks!!! Nailed it on first try.  The "Wall of Draining" plus Unbending/Safeguard is amazing.  I didn't know that.  I also played it safe but stood close enough to throw in some beams. 

Album showing the amazing stats you get from wall of draining, on Llengrath's Safeguard and Unbending:  https://imgur.com/a/ZYpn6mN

Thanks again!