Sanity is a prison. Let madness release you.

103u1yt.jpg

=====================================

Tormentor of Mind and Body

It's excellent crowd controller and debuffer.

Difficulty = PotD v. 4.0

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Solo: untested

Class: Illusionist

Race: Pale Elf

Background: The White that Wends - Merchant

Base stats (without Berath's Blessings):

MIG: 8

CON: 10

DEX: 19

PER: 20

INT: 18

RES: 3

Skills: I picked Arcana and Bluff

Abilities (! - important, r - recommended)

Thanks to grimoires it's often better to pick some defensive talents rather than spells.

Bull's Will ®

Combat Focus ®

Spell Shaping (!)

Two Weapon Style

Farcasting (!)

Rapid Casting (!)

Uncanny Luck

Improved Critical

Spell Resistance

Accurate Empower (!)

Lasting Empower (!)

Prestige (!)

Spells (! - important, r - recommended)

Arkemyr's Dazzling Lights (!) - powerful debuff (-5 Might, -4 Penetration -10 Will), excellent vs damage dealers with low Will defense. Be sure to not hit your party or you know... NO PEN!

Chill Fog (!) - long lasting debuff which blinds enemies and deal cold damage periodically. Blind is one of the most powerful status effect. This spell is targeting Fortitude.

Miasma of Dull-Mindedness (!) - long lasting debuff which will lower Perception, Intellect and Resolve of enemies by 10. It's nice because it means -10 Accuracy, shorter time of beneficial effects and longer time for your debuffs and overall worse Reflex and Will defense. It's grat for removing mind inspirations.

Curse of Blackened Sight (!) - very long lasting blind debuff affecting only foes. It's better than Chill Fog against enemies with lower Will defense.

Ryngrim's Repulsive Visage (!) - it's one of the most powerful defensive-crowd controll spell in the game. It will last over 20 sec and trigger every 3 sec causing Sickened and Terrified afflictions. Most of the time it will prevent all surrounding oponents from attacking you. It will leave them vulnerable and allow you escape without provoking disengagement attacks.

Llengrath's Displaced Image ® - I used it rarely, only when I was being hit by ranged attacks.

Arcane Dampener ® - it suspends beneficial effects on your foes. Useful from time to time.

Pull of Eora (!) - too bad it isn't illusion spell. It's one of the most useful CC spell, especially combined with Wall of Many Colors or Call of Rymrgand (double pulling effect won't allow anyone escape). It served as my opener spell in most fights.

Confuse ® - not so good as D&D version of this spell, but can serve for removing Intellect inspiration and causing friendly fire from hostile casters.

Ryngrim's Enervating Terror (!) - it will put Weakened and Terrified afflictions on your enemies for quite long time. Excellent CC spell but it has rather small radius (Spell Shaping comes handy with this one). Fear effects in this game are great because even if they won't blocke harmful actions of your oponents they will for sure lock use of active abilities.

Arkemyr's Wondrous Torment ® - it lowers Perception, Intellect and Resolve of the target by 10 and when it expires it will jump two times causing half of this debuff to another foe. It's nice because it means -10 Accuracy, shorter time of beneficial effects and longer time for your debuffs and overall worse Reflex and Will defense. It's grat for removing mind inspirations.

Gaze of the Adragan (!) - another powerful illusion spell. Huge radius and paralyze for about 15 sec. It will give you enough time for cast some buffs, use consumables or destroy your oponents.

Concelhaut's Crushing Doom ® - great illusion spell but it requires certain grimoire (I prefer Grimoire of Vaporous Wizardy for additional spell use of every power level that's why I only recommend this spell). Nice damage over time, knocks target prone and lower its deflection. Because Illusionist can't cast Wall of Draining, Concelhatu's Crushing Doom is probably the best 7th level spell for that subclass. Most of the time I used Delayed Fireball if damages were needed.

Wall of Many Colors (!) - it's one of the best illusion spells. It may not seems like it, but trust me. The wall is loooooong and it will petrify, paralyze, dominate and damage all targets in the area of effect. It is so good. It is great in combination with Pull of Eora. Just cast Wall of Many Colors to hit the center of singularity. Pull of Eora will... pull enemies toward the wall and catch them. If they resist paralyze, petrification, then they will be dominated and switch side, constantly taking damage from the wall. It's very good for defense too. Just cast the wall on enemies surrounding you or your most injured party member. Be careful though to not step into the wall. I know it's shiny, but don't.

Kalakoth's Freezing Rake ® - you know this is illusion spell? Very good damage. It will cause Weakened and Hobbled afflictions. Sometimes it's hard to target enemies precisly. Overall from 8th level spells I prefer Wall of Many Color.

Minoletta's Missile Salvo ® - best single target damage (or small squeezed group). Good if you need kill someone very quick and in most boss fights.

Arcane Cleanse ® - I used it only once. Very situational but good. It sucks that there is no illusion spell from power level 9 (similar to level 7 with exception of Concelhaut's Crushing Doom). I would like to have an option from D&D, to memorize lower level spell in higher level slot.

Weapon proficiency: Scepter, Wand, Rod, Dagger, Arbalet, Quarterstaff, Small Shield, Unarmed (doesn't really matters)

Items (! - important, r - recommended)

The Eye of Wael (!) - (upgrade: The Hundred Visions, Lidless Gaze) & A Whale of a Wand (!) (upgrade of personal choice, I picked: Tall Tales, Woven Waves)

Whitewitch Mask (!) or Helm of the White Void ®

Protective Eothasian Charm ® or Tears of Saint Makawo ®

Aloth's Leather Armor ® - (upgrade: Elementally Stable, Known Casuality, Casually Fixed) or Robes of the Weyc soulbound ®

Ring of Overseering ® & Chameleon's Touch ®

Boots of the White ® -> Vithrack Silk Slippers ®

Cloak of Greater Protection ® -> Nemnok's Cloak (!) or Shroud of the Phantasm ® 

Grimoire of Vaporous Wizardy (!) & Iron-Clasped Grimoire ®

Firethrowers Gloves ®

Upright Captain's Belt ®

Pet: personal choice really. I used +5 dmg AoE (Watcher) +5% AoE radius (party), then +1 History/Metaphysics (Watcher) +5 Acc with spells (party)

About items:

The Eye of Wael is simple: +2 All Illusions Power Level, Lidless Gaze has almost instant cast time, huge area of effect and both Petryfied & Terrified afflictions are hard crowd control statuses. Additionaly 5% chance for random Illusion spell on target on scoring hit and 10% chance for invisibility for 8 sec after critical hit may seems little, but it will occure from time to time.

A Whale of a Wand: it's one of the best items for offensive casters thanks to 5% chance for Charm the target (all those AoE ticking spells like Pull of Eora, Wall of Many Colors and other AoE spells in general can trigger those). Additionally 5% chance to cast Form of the Helpless Beast is always nice to have.

Grimoire of Vaporous Wizardy: it grants one additional use of spell from all power levels. It comes with Confusion, Gaze of Adragan and Kalakoth's Freezing Rake (all illusion spells).

Necklace & Rings: there are many interesting choices, depends on party composition and roles. I prefer to maximize Perception and some additional defense measures.

Firethrowers Gloves: this item can be helpfull for scrolls and Minoletta's Missile Salvo.

Quick items

- Scrolls of Withdraw (I like this spell, it can be very helpfull in some fights)

- Scrolls of Plague of Insects

- Potions of Major Healing (or similar)

- Potion of Spirit Shield or Iron Skin (because Illusionist can't cast Enchanting spells)

Maybe I will upload some videos with that build and my party from last playthrough. I have one but it isn't as good as most of the actions.

Edited by Silvaren
  • Like 2

giphy.gif

Sanity is a prison. Let madness release you.

103u1yt.jpg

Tormentor of Mind and Body
It's excellent crowd controller and debuffer.
Difficulty = PotD v. 4.0
Solo: untested
Class: Illusionist
Race: Pale Elf
Background: The White that Wends - Merchant
Base stats (without Berath's Blessings):

MIG: 8
CON: 10
DEX: 19
PER: 20
INT: 18
RES: 3
Skills: I picked Arcana and Bluff
Abilities (! - important, r - recommended)

Thanks to grimoires it's often better to pick some defensive talents rather than spells.

Bull's Will ®
Combat Focus ®
Spell Shaping (!)
Two Weapon Style
Farcasting (!)
Rapid Casting (!)
Uncanny Luck
Improved Critical
Spell Resistance
Accurate Empower (!)
Lasting Empower (!)
Prestige (!)

Spells (! - important, r - recommended)

Arkemyr's Dazzling Lights (!) - powerful debuff (-5 Might, -4 Penetration -10 Will), excellent vs damage dealers with low Will defense. Be sure to not hit your party or you know... NO PEN!

Chill Fog (!) - long lasting debuff which blinds enemies and deal cold damage periodically. Blind is one of the most powerful status effect. This spell is targeting Fortitude.

Miasma of Dull-Mindedness (!) - long lasting debuff which will lower Perception, Intellect and Resolve of enemies by 10. It's nice because it means -10 Accuracy, shorter time of beneficial effects and longer time for your debuffs and overall worse Reflex and Will defense. It's grat for removing mind inspirations.

Curse of Blackened Sight (!) - very long lasting blind debuff affecting only foes. It's better than Chill Fog against enemies with lower Will defense.

Ryngrim's Repulsive Visage (!) - it's one of the most powerful defensive-crowd controll spell in the game. It will last over 20 sec and trigger every 3 sec causing Sickened and Terrified afflictions. Most of the time it will prevent all surrounding oponents from attacking you. It will leave them vulnerable and allow you escape without provoking disengagement attacks.

Llengrath's Displaced Image ® - I used it rarely, only when I was being hit by ranged attacks.

Arcane Dampener ® - it suspends beneficial effects on your foes. Useful from time to time.

Pull of Eora (!) - too bad it isn't illusion spell. It's one of the most useful CC spell, especially combined with Wall of Many Colors or Call of Rymrgand (double pulling effect won't allow anyone escape). It served as my opener spell in most fights.

Confuse ® - not so good as D&D version of this spell, but can serve for removing Intellect inspiration and causing friendly fire from hostile casters.

Ryngrim's Enervating Terror (!) - it will put Weakened and Terrified afflictions on your enemies for quite long time. Excellent CC spell but it has rather small radius (Spell Shaping comes handy with this one). Fear effects in this game are great because even if they won't blocke harmful actions of your oponents they will for sure lock use of active abilities.

Arkemyr's Wondrous Torment ® - it lowers Perception, Intellect and Resolve of the target by 10 and when it expires it will jump two times causing half of this debuff to another foe. It's nice because it means -10 Accuracy, shorter time of beneficial effects and longer time for your debuffs and overall worse Reflex and Will defense. It's grat for removing mind inspirations.

Gaze of the Adragan (!) - another powerful illusion spell. Huge radius and paralyze for about 15 sec. It will give you enough time for cast some buffs, use consumables or destroy your oponents.

Concelhaut's Crushing Doom ® - great illusion spell but it requires certain grimoire (I prefer Grimoire of Vaporous Wizardy for additional spell use of every power level that's why I only recommend this spell). Nice damage over time, knocks target prone and lower its deflection. Because Illusionist can't cast Wall of Draining, Concelhatu's Crushing Doom is probably the best 7th level spell for that subclass. Most of the time I used Delayed Fireball if damages were needed.

Wall of Many Colors (!) - it's one of the best illusion spells. It may not seems like it, but trust me. The wall is loooooong and it will petrify, paralyze, dominate and damage all targets in the area of effect. It is so good. It is great in combination with Pull of Eora. Just cast Wall of Many Colors to hit the center of singularity. Pull of Eora will... pull enemies toward the wall and catch them. If they resist paralyze, petrification, then they will be dominated and switch side, constantly taking damage from the wall. It's very good for defense too. Just cast the wall on enemies surrounding you or your most injured party member. Be careful though to not step into the wall. I know it's shiny, but don't.

Kalakoth's Freezing Rake ® - you know this is illusion spell? Very good damage. It will cause Weakened and Hobbled afflictions. Sometimes it's hard to target enemies precisly. Overall from 8th level spells I prefer Wall of Many Color.

Minoletta's Missile Salvo ® - best single target damage (or small squeezed group). Good if you need kill someone very quick and in most boss fights.

Arcane Cleanse ® - I used it only once. Very situational but good. It sucks that there is no illusion spell from power level 9 (similar to level 7 with exception of Concelhaut's Crushing Doom). I would like to have an option from D&D, to memorize lower level spell in higher level slot.

Weapon proficiency: Scepter, Wand, Rod, Dagger, Arbalet, Quarterstaff, Small Shield, Unarmed (doesn't really matters)

Items (! - important, r - recommended)

The Eye of Wael (!) - (upgrade: The Hundred Visions, Lidless Gaze) & A Whale of a Wand (!) (upgrade of personal choice, I picked: Tall Tales, Woven Waves)
Whitewitch Mask (!) or Helm of the White Void ®
Protective Eothasian Charm ® or Tears of Saint Makawo ®
Aloth's Leather Armor ® - (upgrade: Elementally Stable, Known Casuality, Casually Fixed) or Robes of the Weyc soulbound ®
Ring of Overseering ® & Chameleon's Touch ®
Boots of the White ® -> Vithrack Silk Slippers ®
Cloak of Greater Protection ® -> Nemnok's Cloak (!) or Shroud of the Phantasm ® 
Grimoire of Vaporous Wizardy (!) & Iron-Clasped Grimoire ®
Firethrowers Gloves ®
Upright Captain's Belt ®
Pet: personal choice really. I used +5 dmg AoE (Watcher) +5% AoE radius (party), then +1 History/Metaphysics (Watcher) +5 Acc with spells (party)

About items:
The Eye of Wael is simple: +2 All Illusions Power Level, Lidless Gaze has almost instant cast time, huge area of effect and both Petryfied & Terrified afflictions are hard crowd control statuses. Additionaly 5% chance for random Illusion spell on target on scoring hit and 10% chance for invisibility for 8 sec after critical hit may seems little, but it will occure from time to time.

A Whale of a Wand: it's one of the best items for offensive casters thanks to 5% chance for Charm the target (all those AoE ticking spells like Pull of Eora, Wall of Many Colors and other AoE spells in general can trigger those). Additionally 5% chance to cast Form of the Helpless Beast is always nice to have.

Grimoire of Vaporous Wizardy: it grants one additional use of spell from all power levels. It comes with Confusion, Gaze of Adragan and Kalakoth's Freezing Rake (all illusion spells).

Necklace & Rings: there are many interesting choices, depends on party composition and roles. I prefer to maximize Perception and some additional defense measures.

Firethrowers Gloves: this item can be helpfull for scrolls and Minoletta's Missile Salvo.

Quick items
- Scrolls of Withdraw (I like this spell, it can be very helpfull in some fights)
- Scrolls of Plague of Insects
- Potions of Major Healing (or similar)
- Potion of Spirit Shield or Iron Skin (because Illusionist can't cast Enchanting spells)

Maybe I will upload some videos with that build and my party from last playthrough. I have one but it isn't as good as most of the actions.

Problem with the Grimoire of Vaporous Wizardry is that it has a malus that causes you to get staggered and lose your spell every time you cast one; imho not worth it.

Problem with the Grimoire of Vaporous Wizardry is that it has a malus that causes you to get staggered and lose your spell every time you cast one; imho not worth it.

I assume he's in the backline and trying to avoid getting hit/interrupted, especially with all the crowd-control spells?  Problem with illusionist is they really are just there to debuff/CC, very few material damage spells (as he mentioned).  For a party, could be OK.

I assume he's in the backline and trying to avoid getting hit/interrupted, especially with all the crowd-control spells?  Problem with illusionist is they really are just there to debuff/CC, very few material damage spells (as he mentioned).  For a party, could be OK.

Yes. Stay in the backline. With Rymgrind's Repulsive Visage you are almost untouchable in melee.  High action speed and short recovery make casting time incredibly fast. Most of the time enemies will be locked down by CC spells to do anything. I used 3 melee characters (Eder as fighter/rogue tank, Pallegina paladin/fighter and Mirke as monk) and all of them had abilities to quickly teleport themself if help was necessery.

Only 3 fights during entire game was difficult. Splintered Reef - enterance to the vault without distraction from Copperhead. Second was Maura/Weyc and the third one was Oracle.

• Like 1

giphy.gif

• 3 years later...
On 12/23/2018 at 2:17 PM, ArnoldRimmer said:

I chose to multi class as there are barely any good top power level illusion spells

Kalakoth+Wall of Many Colors are both insane spells, then theres Wilwing Wind+Meteor Shower+Minoletta Missile Salvo. and worth mentioning Petrification for low <25% health perma petrify.

• 3 weeks later...

I meant there were no good 8/9th level illusion spells, not that there are no great spells.

Missile Salvo, meteor shower, and wilting wind are not illusion spells. From my play throughs freezing rake never does much, the wall is great but it is the only 8th level spell worth using that is keyworded with illusion - none at 9th have the illusion keyword

Kalakoth's Freezing Rake and Wall of Many Colors are PL8 and Illusion spells. And they are both very good imo.

Freezing Rake interrupts on hit, targets Reflex and its high base damage (average of 88) makes it attractive because it's possible to raise Illusion PLs via subclass and items (2 Illusionist, +2 Eye of Wael, +1 White Witch Mask). That's 22 additional dmg from the Illusion PLs alone. And then of course more ACC and PEN.

On PL9 there is indeed none and it's a bit of a shame. I would have liked another Ryngrim escalation. Like Ryngrim's Waking Nightmare. Or another Miasma spell... Miasma of Apathy or so. ;) 

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods