I really want to do a 2H axe build but I usually play casters of varying sorts so I am a bit out of the loop when it comes to melee builds so does anyone have a good suggestion for a nice 2H axe melee build that is both effective and fun? Many thanks for advice and suggestions.

Some ideas I have had are Holy Slayer (Streetfighter/Steel Garotte), Brute (Devoted/Fury Shaper?), Out of Ideas? Anyway, I don't know anything about melee builds... so please enlighten me with emphasis on 2H axe!

So, there are two 2h axes, Amra and Oathbreaker's End.

Amra gives you Frenzy and has synergy with crit, so... a non-Barbarian martial multiclass with crit, seems like Fighter/something to me. You also need 25 Might for this, so a Might inspiration (Barbarian or Monk) or you need a Priest or something casting buffs on you. Fighter/Monk would be my first idea.

Oathbreaker also has crit synergy and really wants you to nuke single targets, so perhaps a more dps option, like Barbarian. Brute would work fantastically, Marauder and Ravager would also be good.

The thing with melee builds is that you pick your favorites out of the martial pool with how much damage or defense you want. It's all very comparable, just on the different place on the damage to toughness scale.

• Like 1

I did a run with an Assassin/Blackjacket built around Amra.  Dwarf + BB + GoM + items >= 25 MIG with no real issue (early on I used one of the +MIG pets to help get there).

I mean you could instantly get 25 might within minutes of starting the game; Dwarf or Amaua+Berath's Blessings+Livings Lands 23 Might, then special merchant for Gauntlets of Might for 25. That is not really the issue, more the classes. I was thinking Devoted+ something else, just not sure though.

I did a run with an Assassin/Blackjacket built around Amra.  Dwarf + BB + GoM + items >= 25 MIG with no real issue (early on I used one of the +MIG pets to help get there).

I mean you could instantly get 25 might within minutes of starting the game; Dwarf or Amaua+Berath's Blessings+Livings Lands 23 Might, then special merchant for Gauntlets of Might for 25. That is not really the issue, more the classes. I was thinking Devoted+ something else, just not sure though.

I did Rauatai for RP reasons, but yep the 25 might isn't hard (was mostly responding to a previous post suggesting it needed Barb or Priest).

I chose Blackjacket just for the weapon flexibility (Amra as primary, dual BB for mass afflictions, morning star for Fort debuff) and 0 downtime switch (once you take quick switch), but Devoted seems like a good choice as well for the extra Pen.

As for what to pair it with, probably all depends on what you want to do.  I styled mine somewhat after this build -- https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/104954-build-the-queens-executioner/?hl=woedica (which by the way is an Oathbreaker build).

Amra (the other 2h axe we've been discussing) is purchased at Dunnage.  Depending on what BB you have/use you can get that immediately upon leaving the first island.  Even for a brand new player with no such access it doesn't take too long to get the gold (it's 15-20K IIRC).

The proficiency for the 2H axes is just Axe (so it works with both 1H and 2H).

• Like 1

For someone who didnt play the beast from the winter, how you can get 2h axe on the early game ?

There is proficiant on it (devoted can choose 2h axe?)

Its only in the expantions?

Amra, Radiant Court, Ramaso. You can pick it up right after you leave for Neketaka, just sail to Dunnage.

• Like 1

Well if you solo on PoTD you can go for devoted/goldpack knight.

I start new, race aumaua for 21 str on the start, +2 str from BB + 2 str from gauntlets.

For stats i choose:

Str max (21)

Per 16 - because we got fighter stances + disciplined barrage + acc zeal from paladin + ring of fire (+10 acc to FoD)

Res 8

Con 10

All other points in int / dex.

I think you will crit alot with FoD and be tanking as well.

About the Amra Axe i think its good and look very cool, not sure about the upgrade, the 12% to get frenzy is good on bosses and AoE to but -10 deflection is alot.. what you think guys?

Edited by Brom105

I didn't have the impressing that OP was searching for a solo build.

Another nice thing with battle axes + bleeding cuts in general is Barbaric Retaliation - because attack speed doesn't matter at all. So so single Barb is an option as well. Also because of HoF of course. Plus you'll do double Carnage. I think the Amra Carnage can crit (?) and will thus work with Blood Frenzy in an AoE. If not: double chance for Staggering with Spirit Frenzy is nice as well.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Single barb build is neat idea, maybe you can post some tips Boerer. Wonder if there're a solo build that works.

I suppose the devoted / goldpact is better for solo potd due to survivability? Throw on some heavy plate or DoC for resources? There was a "pirate paladin" build not to long ago along these lines if I remember correctly, need to go look it up. Race-wise giving up Pale Elf (+4 frost / fire armor) to Get the might bonus seems perhaps a tough trade... Have to think about how to get to 25 might with items I suppose.

A single class Barb with good self healing (high MIG and INT), crazy high AR and Frenzy, Bloodlust and Blood Thirst + Brute Force + Morning Star is usually a very solid build. Same with Battle Axes because HoF with Bleeding Cuts and later Retaliation is bonkers.

Barbaric Retaliation comes rather late but is awesome in the DLCs where enemies will crit you a lot (again: get every point of AR and % of damage reduction you can AND use Daze's -4 PEN from Leap to avoid getting penetrated) and you will dish out enormous retaliation damage with your Bleeding Cuts + fat armor (which don't care for recovery penalty in this case and also you don't care for attacks be cause you don't get penetrated). Add Blood Storm to it and the DoTs will tick.

• Like 1

A single class Barb with good self healing (high MIG and INT), crazy high AR and Frenzy, Bloodlust and Blood Thirst + Brute Force + Morning Star is usually a very solid build. Same with Battle Axes because HoF with Bleeding Cuts and later Retaliation is bonkers.

Barbaric Retaliation comes rather late but is awesome in the DLCs where enemies will crit you a lot (again: get every point of AR and % of damage reduction you can AND use Daze's -4 PEN from Leap to avoid getting penetrated) and you will dish out enormous retaliation damage with your Bleeding Cuts + fat armor (which don't care for recovery penalty in this case and also you don't care for attacks be cause you don't get penetrated). Add Blood Storm to it and the DoTs will tick.

You know what Lord of All of POE Mechanics, I think you sold me on the single class Barbarian; never tried it before so it might be worth a go. Would it matter which subclass? The new one seems intriguing but I was originally looking for a a multiclass build. What would you recommend if I went that route?

Most fun I had with Berserker/Nalpasca because the wounds fly in so quickly (Dance of Death + stoned Nalpasca + self damage). But that's squishy of course - because of the scaling self damage. Savage Defiance helps. If you have a good healer then that would be my pick I guess. Berserker/Helwalker ist just too crazy with the self damage.

Interestingly in this case Iron Wheel was really good because the max health gain is substantial. But of course the bigger AoEs through Turning Wheel is still more appealing.

I never tried Barb/Rogue but that would be one of the things I'd like to try next. For example Furyshaper/Trickster seems to be real nice. Or Furyshaper/Streetfighter for maximum attack speed.

Is Brute Force even worth it on PotD? Foes usually have asinine levels of Fortitude.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I don't have screen caps of every boss I've fought on PotD Upscaled but I don't think that holds up.  You're looking at a -35 reduction of fortitude so far.  Here are some examples from bosses:

BOH7X3f.jpg

tHatvEm.jpg

ClZBSsO.jpg

In all cases debuffing Fortitude still comes behind the base Deflection and not even by a little bit.  If you're looking to amass crits, you're probably better off using Confounding Blind.  That being said for your average trash fight against groups of kith that might hold up better.  But even in a lot of DLC fights I don't think it holds all that true.  In other words I think on PotD upscaled it's good against fights you would have won anyways but otherwise doesn't do much of anything in harder fights.

Edited by guildwriter
  • Like 1

I just tried a single-class Barb build against Jadaferlas (magma dragon) on upscaled solo POTD (@ lvl 20), and he killed me every single time.  Using a morning star (fort debuff) didn't really seem to do much.  I even tried to spam consumables (moonwell scolls, spirit shield potions, healing potions, adra potions to remove his injuries at 2+ injuries).  Rev's Scortched Cloak, + fire AR items, etc.   The build just didn't have the sustain (at least in my hands) to whittle him down while being hammered on by all the oozes he seems to summon.  It could be a L2P (learn-2-play) situation, but at least to me it showed where the build can break down - vs. being very good versus lots of lower-hp mobs (with HoF).

By the way, once you've enabled the console, F11 lets you pick areas to teleport to.  I can't believe I only figured this out recently.

EDIT:  by comparison I geared up and tested a Pally/Streetfighter (Pale Elf) through simliar mobs last night (Hasongon, Ashen Maw).  it performed a lot better -- much better on the "normal" mobs and even did take down Jadaferlas, though that was still quite tough.  The magma dragon was made tougher by having insanely high armor something like 17-21 in most types, while my Pen with Amra (2H axe) was stuck at 15 or so (13+2 from hot razor skewers) and my backup weapon was Stalker's Patience with max'd stealth (even lower pen).  Deathbows and crits did much of the work, but I had to stay alive long enough for them to kick in (Stalker's Patience will trigger with 0 recover on crits).  On the flip side, with Gilded Enmity and Pale Elf racials and the same +Fire-AR gear as before, I was at like 21 Fire AR which really helped (except this time I didn't use Revku's cloak).  Only afterwards did I figure out I should have used the Animancer's Energy Blade, so i went back and tried it again and it was a bit faster.   Mode was basically run in with Amra and try to get the Frenzy/buffs to trigger, with Pally chant on +acc ... switch to shield/spear at ~50% and kick in the pally heal aura and Lay on Hands.  You can get Flanked really easily at the start, especially using Escape to port in the middle of mobs.   Riposte isn't bad on the build because with high Int you can get 5+ seconds on the +50 deflection after an Escape.  It's a fun build.  I think the Devoted/Golpact variant would feel less risky, for sure, with Refreshing Def, Unbending Trunk, etc. but I don't think the extra pen would make up for the -acc on non-devoted weaps and the damage you'd lose without deathblows/persistent distraction/cheap damage spams (Crippling Strike).

Edited by brasilgringo