(Forgotten Sanctum) Can we, or can we not join the Circle of Archmagi ?

Hi,

Sorry for my bad english, i'm french.

First, i really love you Obsidian. You make incredible games, and Pillars of Eternity II is the best old school rpg I've ever played.

A question though. I redid a new character to do additional content and I chose a wizard because I really wanted to join the circle of archmages.

I had several dialogue options for my character to say he wanted to join them. However I finished the extension (I think, in any case I have no more quests and I chose to use the body of wael against eotas). And I told Llengrath at the end that I wanted to join the circle, she told me that I would make a good candidate but nothing else.

So is this possible or not?

If this is not possible I find it very unfortunate especially that you let us believe that it is possible ...

I didn't play as Wizard, but I would've surprised if you could join the circle, full-stop. They make it clear it takes a long time, so I would expect a complete quest chain to make "circle application" happen. In addition, you didn't really anything which would impress wizards I think (you don't research magic nor create new spells). Making you part of the circle would mean introducing player to bunch of circle secrets. You could of course just give player a "circle member" perk with minor buff, but I feel that would be more disappointing than not being able to join circle.

• Like 2

You can bring up the issue during the DLC. Llengrath said she'd be happy to sponsor your membership, but there are entry requirements. Requirements being doing research (like writing your dissertation for a doctorate), creating your own spell and then facing all of the other archmages in magical combat in a row. So no, you can't join the circle in PoE2, but you can tell Llengrath at the end that it's something you want to try after dealing with the whole Eothas situation.

• Like 2

you can't join the circle in PoE2, but you can tell Llengrath at the end that it's something you want to try after dealing with the whole Eothas situation.

This.

Wizard DLC when?!?

I want int/knowledge checks to defend my thesis.

Edited by Clerith
  • Like 8

If this is not possible I find it very unfortunate especially that you let us believe that it is possible ...

It is not possible to join the Circle within the Forgotten Sanctum DLC.

We tried to balance "The player, especially if they're a wizard, should be able to ask about joining" against "There's no way we can actually support that in the development time we have." It's possible we didn't balance it as well as we could have.

(I do really like that a non-Wizard player can ask Llengrath about joining and she's like "uh... you're not a mage, much less an archmage.")

• Like 11

Yeah it's one of those things that as a wizard I like being able to ask about but as a game with 10 other classes it's not really reasonable to expect much content in that direction. I like to think I transcend some stuffy old wizards' circle anyway by having the ears of the gods themselves

• Like 3

It is not possible to join the Circle within the Forgotten Sanctum DLC.

We tried to balance "The player, especially if they're a wizard, should be able to ask about joining" against "There's no way we can actually support that in the development time we have." It's possible we didn't balance it as well as we could have.

(I do really like that a non-Wizard player can ask Llengrath about joining and she's like "uh... you're not a mage, much less an archmage.")

Okay, thank you for the answer.

I find it a shame but obviously you are forced to respect deadlines and constraints that are real and not magical. Too bad, when I finish this part I would imagine very strongly that my character has become a powerful archmage.

Edited by Atherelm
  • Like 1

Simple: make the Circle one of the factions in PoE3. Players could side with them and if they are a Wizard, join (or backstab) the Archmages.

As for FS, Llengrath is lucky my Assassin didn't multiclass with Wizard. Or she would share her predecessor's fate.

I think the main problem with joining the circle would be that player would have to create their own spell and it should still be in balance :p

“Watcher’s Balanced and Completely Unremarkable Missile”

Or "Watchers Completely Invisible and Undetectable Sphere of Nothingness". ;)

• Like 2

sign.jpg

I think it was well done. You can ask about joining the circle and you won't be rejected by that idea.

Only problem I have with Forgotten Sanctum is that archmages are aware about Concelhaut being defeated by player but they don't react to Arkemyr's death.

I wished I could met Rymgrim, Minoletta and Kalakoth though ;<

I'm going to Forgotten Sanctum with my third party and I plan to kill Llengrath and Tayn at the start this time xD

• Like 1

giphy.gif

Only problem I have with Forgotten Sanctum is that archmages are aware about Concelhaut being defeated by player but they don't react to Arkemyr's death.

Most of the Arkemyr reactivity comes from the imps. 

With bonus reactivity for people actually wearing his robes when first meeting them.  :fdevil:

• Like 3

I wish we could reply with "You're pretending to be the Avengers, but you aren't either."

Most of the Arkemyr reactivity comes from the imps. 

With bonus reactivity for people actually wearing his robes when first meeting them.  :fdevil:

I had it in inventory but I forgot about them! Damn. I have to try this next time. 

I liked Fassina before Forgotten Sanctum. Now she's even better.  Everything she says in the DLC is "fassinating" :D

• Like 5

giphy.gif

Wonder what happens if I kill Llengrath in PoE1.

Get a new body?

Two screenshots from my review:

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-oNzQWKJhlFw/XCOS6BVMm3I/AAAAAAAADuI/544Vv8IJDRUbhK23pygax9KMmCBf91B1wCLcBGAs/s1600/forgotten-sanctum-llengrath.jpg

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-l4mrTf1uNr0/XCOTCMgLK0I/AAAAAAAADuM/o9UPyHvyK1A0nQlouxAtg-RjqpQFJcACgCLcBGAs/s1600/forgotten-sanctum-llengrath-2.jpg

And there is third one Llengrath you can discover and his portrait.

Edited by Silvaren

giphy.gif

I didn't play PoE 1, but at the end of Forgotten Sanctum you can support either Tayn or Llengrath, and unlike most of the PoE 2 choices, this one seems like you may want some prior knowledge about those characters.  Tayn is portrayed as kind of bumbling though goodhearted and Llengrath is portrayed as more serious but also good.  But then I saw that killing Llengrath in PoE 1 was pretty common.  Is she good/trustworthy?

I didn't play PoE 1, but at the end of Forgotten Sanctum you can support either Tayn or Llengrath, and unlike most of the PoE 2 choices, this one seems like you may want some prior knowledge about those characters.  Tayn is portrayed as kind of bumbling though goodhearted and Llengrath is portrayed as more serious but also good.  But then I saw that killing Llengrath in PoE 1 was pretty common.  Is she good/trustworthy?

The PoE1 Llengrath had to be convinced not to attack the Watcher. I actually don't remember very well, but I think you need to pass skill checks to avoid the battle. Is she good? Maybe she believes she is, but the Watcher will have a different opinion. ;)

Btw, I didn't support any of them in FS.

Edit: actually

I supported the original Llengrath.

Edited by InsaneCommander
  • Like 2

sign.jpg

I personally don't find the good/evil dichotomy very useful, but I do think that Llengrath tends to be pretty forthright with her objectives, ambitions, and desires (moreso than Tayn), even if you have to push her a bit on occasion to admit what those are.

Generally speaking, Llengrath is on team Long Term Stability, Tayn is on team Shake Things Up, and Arkemyr is on team Status Quo.

Maura is on team Rightfully Pissed Off.

• Like 7