Best weapons in PoE 2

Speaking of—doesn't the community patch address that (i.e. add proficiency to weapons that don't have any)?

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

What's the 1H weapon that does the most damage per hit (not DPS, per hit)?

I'm currently thinking it's Grave Calling, because it's a Saber with a Freeze lash. But I don't know where to begin accounting for alternatives that might scale with stacks or Skills...

I'm asking because I'm trying to theorycraft an Eder build that focuses on Riposte.

Edited by Ascaloth

Afaik it's Concelhaut's Draining Touch (at least the base damage is the highest). It's also very good with Riposting because of draining. Requires a wizard of course. 

I guess Grave Calling is one of the tops as well. Also its enchantments like the paralyze after certain stacks are pretty powerful for Riposting.

Modwyr will be good as well. 

Edited by Boeroer
  • Thanks 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

3 hours ago, Ascaloth said:

What's the 1H weapon that does the most damage per hit (not DPS, per hit)?

I'm currently thinking it's Grave Calling, because it's a Saber with a Freeze lash. But I don't know where to begin accounting for alternatives that might scale with stacks or Skills...

I'm asking because I'm trying to theorycraft an Eder build that focuses on Riposte.

The weapon with the highest damage per hit is Stalker's Patience. Upgraded it does 15% dmg per tick (3 times with 10int). The dot doesn't stack with itself, but for riposte it doesn't matter.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Boeroer said:

Afaik it's Concelhaut's Draining Touch (at least the base damage is the highest). It's also very good with Riposting because of draining. Requires a wizard of course. 

I guess Grave Calling is one of the tops as well. Also its enchantments like the paralyze after certain stacks are pretty powerful for Riposting.

Modwyr will be good as well. 

Well, Eder isn't a Wizard, so I guess that's out.

I know Modwyr had the 20% Burn/Freeze lash, but how does that stack up against the higher base damage + lash of Grave Calling?

29 minutes ago, Kaylon said:

The weapon with the highest damage per hit is Stalker's Patience. Upgraded it does 15% dmg per tick (3 times with 10int). The dot doesn't stack with itself, but for riposte it doesn't matter.

Good to know, thanks! How does it stack up against Mohora Tanga with the +% melee damage that scales with Survival, that being the Skill I'm likely going to pump on Eder anyway?

For that matter, which other 1H weapons have similar damage per hit? Is there somewhere I can read about it?

Edited by Ascaloth

Grave Calling doesn't have higher base damage than Modwyr. It just has a +20% additive bonus from "sharp". 

All heavy one handed weapons have the same base damage. 

I would value Modwyr over Stalker's Patience and Grave Calling because of dual damage. Spears are pierce-only and sabres slash-only. If you like to switch weapons that's no big deal though.

Additive dmg bonuses like sharp or Mohora Taga are less potent than lashes (be it Modwyr, Grave Calling or Stalker's Patience which has a raw DoT lash). Because those are multiplicative.

Also good Riposte weapons are Battle Axes. Bleeding Cuts works kind of similar to Stalker's Patience but the DoT does stack. They usually pay for this with +50% recovery but this doesn't matter for Riposte. Plus is that every Battle Axe has this and you don't have to pick up a unique first. Same thing as with spears and sabres: only one dmg type.

A great Riposte weapon although it hasn't particularly high dmg per hit: Kapana Taga.

Used it several times on Swashbuckler Edér with Cadhu Scalth, Reckless Brigandine, Mob Stance and Entonia Signet as well as White Which Mask.

4 hours ago, Boeroer said:

Grave Calling doesn't have higher base damage than Modwyr. It just has a +20% additive bonus from "sharp". 

All heavy one handed weapons have the same base damage. 

I would value Modwyr over Stalker's Patience and Grave Calling because of dual damage. Spears are pierce-only and sabres slash-only. If you like to switch weapons that's no big deal though.

Additive dmg bonuses like sharp or Mohora Taga are less potent than lashes (be it Modwyr, Grave Calling or Stalker's Patience which has a raw DoT lash). Because those are multiplicative.

Also good Riposte weapons are Battle Axes. Bleeding Cuts works kind of similar to Stalker's Patience but the DoT does stack. They usually pay for this with +50% recovery but this doesn't matter for Riposte. Plus is that every Battle Axe has this and you don't have to pick up a unique first. Same thing as with spears and sabres: only one dmg type.

A great Riposte weapon although it hasn't particularly high dmg per hit: Kapana Taga.

Used it several times on Swashbuckler Edér with Cadhu Scalth, Reckless Brigandine, Mob Stance and Entonia Signet as well as White Which Mask.

Ok, but Grave Calling has the additive bonus plus the stacking Freeze lash that can go up to 20% or 30% depending on which upgrade you take, wouldn't that give it an edge over other 1H weapons in terms of damage/hit?

On another note, how does Wintertide Bulwark stack up against Cadhu Scath? Fully upgraded it comes with a Riposte-like effect, and I think it may give more Deflection than the latter. Not sure how to compare both though, and it doesn't come with the damage reduction for one.

Of course the +20% dmg bonus from sharp is an advantage - it's just not higher base damage. 

Keep in mind that you have to hit several times to build up the 20-30% lash of Grave Calling while a weapon like Modwyr will have its lash from the first hit on. If you have long fights with a lot of hits then Grave Calling will have the higher average lash - in shorter fights the average lash will be lower.

With Stalker's Link we shouldn't forget the +5 ACC. 

Magran's Favor has Bleeding Cuts and a 15% burning lash and good burn DoT on crit. Against non-slash resistant foes it may be the weapon with the highest dmg per hit? Bleeding Cuts stacking and all... Can it beat Stalker's Patience, @Kaylon? The raw lash DoT of Stalker's Patience it pretty strong...

All in all I guess the differences in Riposte dmg output are marginal on average (considering resistances/immunities). 

Also keep in mind which weapon can be obtained when.

And one can use all of those and pick the right one based on the enemy you are facing.

I value Cadhu Scalth over Wintertide Bulwark because the DR - like underpenetration or grazes - is a very potent factor for survival (since damage reduction effects go through double inversion most of times) and the Deflection bonus can be higher than the Bulwark's (not only on average - Bulwark has to build up it's bonus in every fight - but absolutely, too).

But mostly the setup I described above (Reckless Brigandine etc.) looks nice with Cadhu Scalth but horrible with the Bulwark. Bulwark kind of forces you to use the other frost items - optically I mean. ;)

Edited by Boeroer

• 3 weeks later...

I still feel Lord Darynns Voulge is one of if not thé strongest weapon in the game. Even with just the superb upgrade. Does insane damage in a ginormous AoE that stacks with added lashes (monks plus chanters for instance.). Gather mobs of much high level than you in a group. Attack the one with the lowest deflection and do 300-500 dmg to everything with 1 hit covering the entire screen. Works only with Monk/Fighter of course and if you can reliably crit, which is not an issue late game. I've not seen anything else do this much damage in 1 second. Sometimes even wipe the enemy group before my wizard can cast Infuse with Vital Essence.

Edited by AeonsLegend

• 6 months later...
On 2/24/2020 at 12:16 AM, Boeroer said:

I value Cadhu Scalth over Wintertide Bulwark because the DR - like underpenetration or grazes - is a very potent factor for survival...

(since damage reduction effects go through double inversion most of times) <---- THIS

...and the Deflection bonus can be higher than the Bulwark's (not only on average - Bulwark has to build up it's bonus in every fight - but absolutely, too).

Hi @Boeroer,

If you don't mind, could you explain what "double inversion" means and, if you're feeling generous, maybe a give a quick example of how it would matter in a build, combat scenario, or whatever you think would give me some context? I've done a fair amount of theorycrafting in other games, and I don't think I've ever run across this term, so I'm lost. I'm loving PoE2, so if you could bring me up to speed on "double inversion" I'd appreciate it a ton.

Thanks!

Edited by Virtual_Swayy

5 hours ago, Virtual_Swayy said:

Hi @Boeroer,

If you don't mind, could you explain what "double inversion" means and, if you're feeling generous, maybe a give a quick example of how it would matter in a build, combat scenario, or whatever you think would give me some context? I've done a fair amount of theorycrafting in other games, and I don't think I've ever run across this term, so I'm lost. I'm loving PoE2, so if you could bring me up to speed on "double inversion" I'd appreciate it a ton.

Thanks!

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc/227477-pillars-of-eternity-ii-deadfire/faqs/76599/inversions

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1