Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

TURN BASED combat in Deadfire?!

• Please log in to reply
329 replies to this topic

house2fly

house2fly

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1165 posts
If I had made a list of things I expected to be patched into the game eight months after release, a turn-based mode wouldn't have even been on it. It seems completely insane- to make it work even passably well you'd need to basically design a new set of mechanics from the ground up and design every ability, item and enemy to use the new mechanics in a way that makes sense. I'm wondering if it's something experimental they were trying and had no plans to put it in the game until they were sure it worked. The UI looks more detailed than you'd think for a placeholder though
  • Daled and Wormerine like this

gkathellar

gkathellar

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2007 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

If I had made a list of things I expected to be patched into the game eight months after release, a turn-based mode wouldn't have even been on it. It seems completely insane- to make it work even passably well you'd need to basically design a new set of mechanics from the ground up and design every ability, item and enemy to use the new mechanics in a way that makes sense. I'm wondering if it's something experimental they were trying and had no plans to put it in the game until they were sure it worked. The UI looks more detailed than you'd think for a placeholder though

They were talking about a tabletop version, right? Maybe it's implementing those mechanics.

kanisatha

kanisatha

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 349 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Since I will never play this game TB this has no relevance for me.

What intrigues me, though, is the number of RTwP preferring folks in this thread who are so very supportive of Obsidian creating this option for those who prefer TB. I contrast this with the pro-TB totalitarians in the inXile and Larian forums who attack and ridicule anyone who even suggests a RTwP option for a TB game. Seems like accommodating others' preferences is a one-way street for a lot of people.

• AndreaColombo, glennjones130486, InsaneCommander and 2 others like this

house2fly

house2fly

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1165 posts
I wonder how easy it is to convert one system to the other from either end?

hilfazer

hilfazer

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 683 posts

What intrigues me, though, is the number of RTwP preferring folks in this thread who are so very supportive of Obsidian creating this option for those who prefer TB

This is a kind of information Obsidian wanted to gather.

That "accidental" release of TB mode was done to probe us. They want to know if they should bother with adding TB to the game.

• MaxQuest likes this

juanval

juanval

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 244 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
In my case, I wouldn't play an IE style game in turn based combat, but if TB makes the game more popular enough to develop more PoE games, I will be happy with that.
  • kanisatha, InsaneCommander, Mirandel and 2 others like this

Titus_Draconius

Titus_Draconius

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 17 posts

This would be an amazing development. 

kanisatha

kanisatha

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 349 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

In my case, I wouldn't play an IE style game in turn based combat, but if TB makes the game more popular enough to develop more PoE games, I will be happy with that.

Indeed, and one could also hope it sets a precedent for devs like Larian and inXile to go the other way.

• AndreaColombo, InsaneCommander and MaxQuest like this

Blutwurstritter

Blutwurstritter

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 111 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

PoE II has much more active abilities and shorter duration's on spells than the old I.E. games. Generally it requires much more attention and input than the old games causing me to pause it so often that feels already pretty much like a turn based game. Reading all the afflictions buffs and duration and then figuring out if my next spell will still into the time frame of some buff/debuff, for examples, can be quite exhausting and tiresome. I know that you don't have to play like this but i think anyone who tries to optimize his actions during combat can relate to this.

Turn based mode would certainly make it more enjoyable for me since it should become much easier to time actions of multiple characters. In turn based mode it is much easier to plan ahead and to execute tactics. A turn based mode would be a nice addition. 

Wormerine

Wormerine

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3066 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Since I will never play this game TB this has no relevance for me.

What intrigues me, though, is the number of RTwP preferring folks in this thread who are so very supportive of Obsidian creating this option for those who prefer TB. I contrast this with the pro-TB totalitarians in the inXile and Larian forums who attack and ridicule anyone who even suggests a RTwP option for a TB game. Seems like accommodating others' preferences is a one-way street for a lot of people.

Yes? I would be less positive about it, if it was made for launch - my philosophy is: pick want you want to do and so it well, rather than half-ass many things. However, now when games is well out I don't see it as anything less than positive. I would prefer redesign of ship combat though... Though the ship encounter UI looks nifty.

I am curious who is responsible for it, and why it was made. Did someone wanted PoE to be turned based? Did low sales pushed higher ups to add turn based combat hoping to attract wider audience?

I wouldnt riot, however, if PoE were turned based in the first place. I do like my RPG real time but I feel this is more of my nostalgia working. There is no decent way of playing PoE (or IE games) without heavy pausing so I do believe that high reliance on stats and hit chances mean that this system is not the most intuitive with real-time combat. So while I prefer real time I curious how well Deadfire will play as turn based.
  • the_dog_days and Lamppost in Winter like this

padovani

padovani

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 4 posts

That "accidental" release of TB mode was done to probe us. They want to know if they should bother with adding TB to the game.

The turn-based update is motivated by the console releases 100%. It eases so much of the jank of playing a game like this with a controller. 

• Mirandel likes this

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

Apex of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5576 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Josh has revealed that he prefers turn-based, and he really dig Battle Brothers, and he backed Realms Beyond really generously, so I hope that he's behind this and that he gets to be the mastermind behind the system tweaks needed for this mode. I love both turn-based and RTwP - actually, the quality of the game decides whether it's good, mediocre or bad. Just this being worked and then hopefully later included will probably encourage me to play the game all the way through a third time. :)

Edited by IndiraLightfoot, 21 December 2018 - 02:51 PM.

• Daled, InsaneCommander and Wormerine like this

Purudaya

Purudaya

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 462 posts

I loathe turn-based crpgs not because the mechanics are necessarily bad, but because it just kills immersion for me. People do not take turns in combat, they act simultaneously - and while you can kind of imagine that all of the turns are playing out at the same time, the presentation in, say, D:OS looks more like a miniatures board game than a battlefield. it's the same reason I could never get into a single final fantasy title. 

I think it's cool that Obsidian is creating the option for those who prefer turn-based, though. Would be nice if turn-based game developers would make a similar accommodation.

• kanisatha, Mirandel and Murp like this

Manveru123

Manveru123

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 841 posts

The turn-based update is motivated by the console releases 100%. It eases so much of the jank of playing a game like this with a controller. 

Good observation! Imagine they're making turn-based as console exclusive game mode. I can already taste the salt :D

I loathe turn-based crpgs not because the mechanics are necessarily bad, but because it just kills immersion for me. People do not take turns in combat, they act simultaneously - and while you can kind of imagine that all of the turns are playing out at the same time, the presentation in, say, D:OS looks more like a miniatures board game than a battlefield. it's the same reason I could never get into a single final fantasy title. 

I think it's cool that Obsidian is creating the option for those who prefer turn-based, though. Would be nice if turn-based game developers would make a similar accommodation.

Recent Final Fantasy titles are all aRPGs, or a mix.

• Purudaya likes this

Clerith

Clerith

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 346 posts

GOTY release with turn-based combat option? Marketed well? Considering how well DOS2 sold... honestly, I think it'd be a smart attempt.

I'd definitely try one playthrough, though I wonder how much enemy health will have to be lowered to make the big encounters anywhere near fast enough.

Murp

Murp

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I'm really happy that they're doing this when they really didn't have too. It'd be quite nice for future replayability.

I am generally really annoyed by turn based combat and am kind of worried that this might make an affect on future titles if it goes over well,

but I trust Obsidian will do right by us RTwP lovers.

• AndreaColombo, glennjones130486, kanisatha and 4 others like this

Purudaya

Purudaya

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 462 posts

Ah. That actually might be a better fit for the franchise. I just have distinct memories seeing my friend play FF7 on his playstation and watching his character run 20 yards up to an enemy, hit him with a sword the size of a dinner table, and run back - only to have the enemy do the exact same thing. I remember thinking that it was one of the dumbest things I'd ever seen, because even at 12 I somehow innately understood the immersion-crushing wrongness of presenting a combat encounter that way.

Edited by Purudaya, 21 December 2018 - 08:05 PM.

draego

draego

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 894 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Ah. That actually might be a better fit for the franchise. I just have distinct memories seeing my friend play FF7 on his playstation and watching his character run 20 yards up to an enemy, hit him with a sword the size of a dinner table, and run back - only to have the enemy do the exact same thing. I remember thinking that it was one of the dumbest things I'd ever seen, because even at 12 I somehow innately understood the immersion-crushing wrongness of presenting a combat encounter that way.

how dare you sir LOL 

• Purudaya and daven like this

Purudaya

Purudaya

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 462 posts

how dare you sir LOL 

FF: Card Game

D:OS: Board Game

PoE: Computer Game. For Adults.

;) 

• draego likes this

protopersona

protopersona

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 214 posts

If Deadfire gets a big enough sales boost from this though, all it's going to do is further reinforce the idea that turn based sells better than RTWP. Thus providing even less incentive for turn based games to add an optional real time mode.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users