TURN BASED combat in Deadfire?!

Apparently from the 24th of January we'll be able to play turn based mode.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/pillars-of-eternity-2/pillars-of-eternity-2-turn-based

Edit: A quote from the article

It has involved an extraordinary amount of work, rebuilding the UI, finding a neat way to display turn order, rebalancing encounters throughout the game

Edited by Daled
  • Like 3

Hmm. It's sort of interesting, but it also makes me wonder why they're doing it.

In addition, it makes me wonder what percentage of players actually play these games multiple times (seeing as turn-based is sort of presented as a reason for a replay). I can't see Deadfire having any replay value and I don't see myself doing more than one playthrough (my only game with more than one playthrough is still BG2), but I also have no idea whether this is a minority or a majority approach.

Hmm. It's sort of interesting, but it also makes me wonder why they're doing it.

In addition, it makes me wonder what percentage of players actually play these games multiple times (seeing as turn-based is sort of presented as a reason for a replay). I can't see Deadfire having any replay value and I don't see myself doing more than one playthrough (my only game with more than one playthrough is still BG2), but I also have no idea whether this is a minority or a majority approach.

It's absolutely a minority approach. People replay games all the time. Like all the time.

Yes! We have no bananas.

It's absolutely a minority approach. People replay games all the time. Like all the time.

According to forums, yes. But the forums themselves are very very much a minority thing. And, according to telemetry, most players didn't/haven't play/played Deadfire to the end even once.

Now, in saying this, I'm not saying you're wrong.

Edited by xzar_monty

jesus mary and joseph, this is actually happening. regardless of whether or not it works out, im proper looking forward to this.

im glad for josh as he seems quite hyped.

ill try to use this to push the game onto my friends. perhaps theyll find turnbased a little more accessible than the controlled chaos of rtwp.

speaking of combat, my complete runs just finished SSS. im digging the much harder combat of the dlcs. i might actually have a crack at path of the damned.

• Like 1

I AM A RENISANCE MAN

I was wondering that too. Im surprised they didnt put this in beta first for players to hit it.

With the overall scale of the changes, I'm not sure how much good a public beta would do.  To get any proper feedback, you need to do entire play-throughs to test the various encounters and mechanics.  That's the sort of task in-house QA can do pretty efficiently.

Turn-based isn't something that is toggled on or off.  It is a permanent choice made at the beginning of the game.  While players might be able to comment on UI or basic things, it seems unlikely that many beta testers will push through the game over the course of a weekend to see how turn-based affects the balance of late-game encounters.

---

Edit: Later articles make it clear that *everyone* is getting this as a testable addition to the game.  It isn't just going to a self-selected pool of beta participants.  

Edited by Ethics Gradient

Man this is so cool. So encouraging to see Obsidian thought putting this much effort into Deadfire was worth doing. The game is tremendous and if this gets it in the hands of a more mainstream audience then that’s fantastic. Looking forward to my turn based playthrough!

• Like 2

I really like the idea of this. I was initially resistant even though I liked Original Sin a lot but thinking about it more it makes sense to do turn based. For me, I pause a lot as it is. I do it so much that even RTWP essentially becomes nearly turn based for me.

So why not slow that down further?

I think this will make for more enjoyable gameplay for me because I will be more likely to actually use all of my abilities in combat and pay closer attention to the penetration system. With RTWP I get lazy and sometimes there's so many buttons to push that I forget to do stuff. 

Turn based will be a huge win I think. Really looking forward to it.

I don't know if I'll play in turn-based, but it is really nice to offer this option to players. If it doesn't make the game longer and if it works well with my party builds for a game, I'll give it a try.

But I' still plan replays based on other things like different character personality/dispositions and trying fun multiclass combinations.

sign.jpg

Wow, turn based mode will attract lots of players who don't like RTwP combat.

I'm happy because deadfire is great and, watching the enormous size of people who adquired DOS2, deadfire will be known by much much more people now ;D

I'm not interested in turn based mode but I desire a big success to obsidian because they deserve it.

Keno San Pablo and Mitch Loidolt also helped us out with the new UI elements.

I hope everybody enjoys the new mode starting on Thursday!

Thanks again for your work on this new feature.  I bet it was a unique blend of fun and absolute madness grafting it into the game.   :)

Edited by Ethics Gradient
  • Like 3