As the topic asks. Right now the one that looks the most interesting to me at least is Priest, but I dunno how well they'll go together depending on how much focus either class needs to stay competitive. I was thinking Kind Wayfarers, Hylea, and moon godlike and being a AOE healing tank. Problem is it kinda needs 4 stats to be good. Might for damage/healing, some con to tank damage, Int to help AOE, and Resolve for tanking. Which I'm not sure spreading out the attribute points into 4 stats like that will work effectively. 

What other multiclasses have you guys liked with Paladin? And some Build advice too, anything I should avoid while leveling? Maybe some weapon proficiency picks too. 

Con is not the most important stat for a tank. I have never had base con higher than 10 on my tank.

Paladin can be multiclassed almost with any class.

If you want support/heal the best choices are:

1. Chanter/Troubadour you are able to tank and summon a meat shield. Very effective Tank tactic.

2. Druid/Lifegiver, have a lot of nice healing spells.

3. Priest, but I'm not sure if he is the best multiclass at this point, as multiclassed priest looses a lot of nice spells. Also Druid generally seems to be a better healer, Priest is more about emergency healing.

• Like 2

Most of the Paladin's important abilities are in the early power levels, making it multiclass well with just about everything. The only ones I am skeptical of at this point are paladin/druid and paladin/priest; I haven't seen how to get enough synergy in those combos to make them powerful instead of middling, if flexible, supports.

So it really is a question of what you want to play. Paladin/Chanter has very strong synergy as a support tank with a lot of good options. If that is the style you are after I would recommend it strongly.

• Like 3

Paladin / Chanter is great for support.

But also consider:

Paladin / Rogue is great (either Trickster for max tankyness or Streetfighter for max carnage)

Paladin / Soulblade Cipher

Paladin / Wizard

Paladin combines really well with most classes.

• Like 2

Almost everything?

Paladin/Fighter is an extremely tanky and solid melee unit with really no weaknesses.

Paladin/Barbarian is like the above, but trades defense for offense. Paladin's defenses makes your frenzied Fanatic still as tanky as a regular Fighter, how crazy is that?

Paladin/Monk is yet another good martial combo, Monk adds a ton to any martial class.

Paladin/Rogue is very strong, Trickster for being unhittable and Streetfighter for a tanky dps machine.

Paladin/Chanter is the ever popular and powerful Herald, tank with summons and aoe buffs, every party likes one.

Paladin/Wizard is immortal with Wizard buffs on, and Citzal's Spirit Lance gives you aoe FoDs, very nice.

Paladin/Cipher gives you Cipher a lot of extra tankiness and a great, early spammable attack for Focus.

Paladin/Druid (Lifegiver) is a super healer I've heard about many times on the forums, though I've never personally rolled one.

The only classes I don't really like with Paladin are Ranger and Priest. While you can make a Paladin/Stalker, I can't help but to think that any other martial combo would be better. And I just don't like multiclassed Priest with a generic martial.

• Like 4

Paladin/Arcane Archer is good as well. FoD shots don't get the ACC malus and Watershaper's Focus with Ring of Focused Flames, Blast, Driving Flight and FoD gives you 3 AoE jumps with +20 ACC which will most likely trigger Ondra's Wave. And once Zeal is null you can continue firing Imbue: Fireball which will also trigger thrice. Deactivate Blast for that. ACC with this one is even better. Also heal your Animal Companion with Lay on Hands and so on.

Paladin/Assassin with Ring of Focused Flame and Dragon's Dowry or Chromoprismatic Staff most likely crits and one-shots many enemies from stealth/invisibility with his +45 ACC bonus.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 3

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I like dual pistol/blunderbuss kind wayfarer/ranger as a character. It has flexible positioning to maximize the auras and apply LoH / exhortations, and spams heals through FoD dual attacks. Plus driving flight with mortars is a lot of fun.

Fair enough, that sounds effective and fun. It just skipped my mind since I hate guns and never use them.

As the topic asks. Right now the one that looks the most interesting to me at least is Priest, but I dunno how well they'll go together depending on how much focus either class needs to stay competitive. I was thinking Kind Wayfarers, Hylea, and moon godlike and being a AOE healing tank. Problem is it kinda needs 4 stats to be good. Might for damage/healing, some con to tank damage, Int to help AOE, and Resolve for tanking. Which I'm not sure spreading out the attribute points into 4 stats like that will work effectively. 

What other multiclasses have you guys liked with Paladin? And some Build advice too, anything I should avoid while leveling? Maybe some weapon proficiency picks too. 

What is the most important role for your paladin? We can better advise you based on that info.

• Like 2

What is the most important role for your paladin? We can better advise you based on that info.

is the most relevant question.  am not sure what you want your paladin+ ________ to do, so am not able to advise. 

a votary for example, can be the ace ventura o' tanks

"quit hitting yourself," might as well be the official motto o' the tank votary.  is near invulnerable and foes end up killing themselves by attacking you.  however, is extreme low maintenance.  with minor ai tweaks, you drop votary into combat and then ignore until battle is over.  can be a bit tedious.  if you want high damage output and great support qualities, the tank votary ain't ideal.  is a good build if you want an invulnerable tank, but...

so channel you inner danny elfman and answer the question

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Almost everything?

Paladin/Fighter is an extremely tanky and solid melee unit with really no weaknesses.

Paladin/Barbarian is like the above, but trades defense for offense. Paladin's defenses makes your frenzied Fanatic still as tanky as a regular Fighter, how crazy is that?

Paladin/Monk is yet another good martial combo, Monk adds a ton to any martial class.

Paladin/Rogue is very strong, Trickster for being unhittable and Streetfighter for a tanky dps machine.

Paladin/Chanter is the ever popular and powerful Herald, tank with summons and aoe buffs, every party likes one.

Paladin/Wizard is immortal with Wizard buffs on, and Citzal's Spirit Lance gives you aoe FoDs, very nice.

Paladin/Cipher gives you Cipher a lot of extra tankiness and a great, early spammable attack for Focus.

Paladin/Druid (Lifegiver) is a super healer I've heard about many times on the forums, though I've never personally rolled one.

The only classes I don't really like with Paladin are Ranger and Priest. While you can make a Paladin/Stalker, I can't help but to think that any other martial combo would be better. And I just don't like multiclassed Priest with a generic martial.

I'm still trying to settle on a multiclass for my Bleak Walker.

Crusader? Basically unkillable.

Fanatic? Better offensive, fits in more with the BW aggressive style RP, but lacks engagements other than the one you get from Barbarian passive.

Decisions, decisions....

Probably primary healing, and tank secondary. I'm not a tactical master at PoE, so unless a character is doing something *really* stupid I let them do as they please. But I've noticed leaving the Xoti as a CPU controlled priest leaves a bit to be desired in the healing aspects. Plus I've always been a fan of healing in MMOs and DnD. 

is the most relevant question.  am not sure what you want your paladin+ ________ to do, so am not able to advise. 

a votary for example, can be the ace ventura o' tanks

"quit hitting yourself," might as well be the official motto o' the tank votary.  is near invulnerable and foes end up killing themselves by attacking you.  however, is extreme low maintenance.  with minor ai tweaks, you drop votary into combat and then ignore until battle is over.  can be a bit tedious.  if you want high damage output and great support qualities, the tank votary ain't ideal.  is a good build if you want an invulnerable tank, but...

so channel you inner danny elfman and answer the question

HA! Good Fun!

What do you mean when you ask, what do I want my Paladin to do exactly. Is it something beyond wanting him to be a healy/tanky frontliner?

Probably primary healing, and tank secondary. I'm not a tactical master at PoE, so unless a character is doing something *really* stupid I let them do as they please. But I've noticed leaving the Xoti as a CPU controlled priest leaves a bit to be desired in the healing aspects. Plus I've always been a fan of healing in MMOs and DnD. 

For lots of healing you don't even need a multiclass. A Kind Wayfarer spamming White Flames with dual weapons provides a lot of healing. Add the healing aura and occasional Lay on Hands and he's multiclass can focus on other functions. Many good suggestions were already provided. I'd avoid a Paladin/Fighter, as it's defensive overkill IMO.

In that case I'd recommend to multi with chanter (troubadour). You can stack +healing gear for a decent amount of passive healing through your paladin aura and chants.

Alternatively you can multi with druid (lifegiver), which has more healing and DPS potential but less (passive) support skills.

Either will work fine, druid is probably a more busy/micro and impactful one.

• Like 1

given the genesis poster's stated playstyle and goals for the character, am gonna second the observation regarding appropriateness o' chanter/paladin (herald.)  priest is a good healer and a great buffer, but requires micromanagement to be anything near optimal.  there is a right time to cast salvation o' time and a right time to use holy radiance and computer, regardless o' customizable ai, gets it wrong as often as right.  druid is beast healer... no pun intended.  strong heals.  not so much for buffs.  am not certain how concerned the genesis poster is 'bout buffs, but as one increases difficulty o' the game, buffs and debuffs become more significant.  regardless, druids is a bit less quirky with the ai when it comes to heals, but still not great.

heralds are fantastic on auto-pilot, as long as the bugs is ironed out.  pallegina, as a herald, frequent defaults to (A) chant no matter what we do... and then she will stop chanting altogether.  tried nuking the first chant, but problem came back at some point.  am not certain if is pallegina-centric issue or not, but is annoying and reduces efficacy considerable.  however, when a herald is functioning as designed, is a nice hands-off healer.  the paladin's healing aura alone can be strong, but when coupled with chanter phrase heals, the health begins to flow in force.  the herald healing, other than the lay on hands line, requires no player input to make effective. 

as for tanky aspect, you should be able to achieve such with any paladin+ __________ build.  paladin is inherent tanky-- tough to mess it up. however, lack o' any battlefield mobility abilities hurts a herald compared to other multiclass builds insofar as tank is concerned. no charge or flagellants path.  no into the fray.  a herald is also a weak interrupter for much o' the game.  even so, the thick grew their tongues phrase makes other party member interrupts more effective, so....

herald sounds like a good match given what the genesis poster want the paladin + _______ to do.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Thanks for all the advice guys, seems Herald is the way to go. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place, but which is the healing chant for the Chanter? Is it the one that deals damage, and then part of that is converted into healing?

It's Ancient Memory. On a troubadour with high Int you can run it simultaneously with "Mercy and kindness followed where'er she walked".

I'm actually unsure how efficient "Old Siec" is, anyone else got an opinion on that?

Edited by Flucas