So I have had the game since release but haven't had a chance to play much.  I am having to start over due to a computer malfunction.  Anyways I am looking at character creation and how my character interacts with the other characters in my group.  I know there are (4) story characters.  Is it best to create a character that goes with those (4) folks or does it matter?  Do people change out characters all the time?

I change up my party pretty often with the sidekicks, trying different party compositions- some compositions are better for some encounters than others.

Some sidekicks have some interesting conversation trees and interjections (Rekke and Ydwin in general, Konstanten in Seeker, Slayer, Survivor and Fassina in Forgotten Sanctum). You can very easily get through each companion's and sidekick's content in one playthrough. 

Mechanically- With multiclassing (or I guess just in general), you can build each character very differently from one-another.

So I have had the game since release but haven't had a chance to play much.  I am having to start over due to a computer malfunction.  Anyways I am looking at character creation and how my character interacts with the other characters in my group.  I know there are (4) story characters.  Is it best to create a character that goes with those (4) folks or does it matter?  Do people change out characters all the time?

am uncertain of the question posed.

the following link does include spoiley material, so be warned.

https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Companions_(Deadfire)

in any event, there are seven deadfire companions. am not certain what "story characters" means.  there are four main factions in the game, and there are four companions who are each representative of and aligned with one o' those four factions. the four factions represent the primary political and economic powers currently active in the deadfire region.  never personal felt the need to have all four such companions in our party at any one time, though it did happen from time to time.

am suspecting some folks who have played deafire tried to maintain party continuity throughout the game.  on the other hand, folks such as Gromnir switched companions frequently in an attempt to maximize game content.  still other people ditched the whole companion concept and created mercenaries to fill party slots.  still other players enjoyed the game as a solo experience, foregoing mercs, sidekicks and companions.  

the game does include a quest log feature which will help you identify the companions most relevant to the resolution of tasks and quests.  however, is few quests for which any companion will be essential. 

deadfire is a game.  even though it is a game designed so all players eventual win, we have difficulty distancing our self from real world game logic.  we never complete lose the admitted misguided focus 'pon winning.  as such, Gromnir always builds his deadfire party with companions who fill a few basic roles... 'cause we wanna win a game designed to be beatable by any bab00n-brained yutz with a bit o' free time? whatever.  regardless, we need 1 tank and quite possibly an off-tank.  we need one healer.  we need a buffer.  we need a debuffer.  we need a couple damage dealers.  and for deadfire specific, we need at least one dependable interrupter... preferable a ranged interrupter.  now with a total o' five members in a party, it stands to reason at least one or two o' our companions is gonna be fulfilling multiple roles, no?  such is not particular difficult to achieve in deadfire, particular with multiclassing.  maia, for example, is a dependable damage dealer and a fantastic interrupter in most o' our party configurations.  eder is typical our tank, but what happens if our main character is a tank?  is eder useless and forgotten?  nope.  is easy to level eder so as to fill multiple roles including aforementioned tank, off-tank, interrupter and damage dealer.  

am doubting your question has been answered, but am thinking the essential point is the aspect most likely overlooked.  try not to think o' deadfire as a game in which you need a winning strategy and mad skillz.  even if you do everything "wrong" based on the input o' various deadfire pundits, on normal difficulty you are still likely gonna win.  so don't get overinvested in winning deadfire.  choose companions who are intriguing or funny or choose simple 'cause you like the model aesthetic.  whatever.  you will like deadfire more if you do not become overly concerned with doing things the right way.

proviso: beware of multiclassing.

one way you could accidental make deadfire unwinnable is through multiclassing companions and/or the pc.  certain class combinations do not synergize well, or at all.  that said, am only gonna make one specific companion suggestion and it direct relates to multiclassing-- do not multiclass xoti unless your pc is a dedicated healer/buffer.  deadfire priests ain't as op as poe priests, but a single-class priest in a deadfire party will make up for more than a few rookie mistakes.  'til you get your deadfire sealegs, so to speak, use xoti as a single-class priest.  

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"in any event, there are seven deadfire companions. am not certain what "story characters" means."

I suspect what the OP is referring to is the case when you start a new game a new popup is presented asking you if you'd like to chose from a list of pre-made characters or create a custom character. Not sure when this feature was introduced...