Pachfinder Bugmaker: The Rekkoning

the_dog_days

8 hours ago, majestic said:

Jubilost got all the tough kills.

Force bombs should be relabeled "cheat weapon"

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Nowadays I reckon that if I were to play the game again, I'd just lower the difficulty to as close to story mode as possible. Story isn't fantastic, but there's enough of interest in the game for it to scratch that fantasy power trip itch, and there's certainly moments and characters I love. Give me all of that without the hassle of having to deal with its godawful combat.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

42 minutes ago, Wormerine said:

Anyway. I ended up tinkering with the difficulty option as "challenging" difficulty was boosting enemy stats even further. With that brought down, I actually had a chance to land a hit and with a lot of touching from Harrim she died. Restoring all my companions sucked out all my remaigning funds 😭. Sorry villages, you shall have to remain barren for a wee bit longer. Next step - DLC dungeon to resture some of the funds. 

What are you using for defensive prebuffs for that encounter?

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

1 hour ago, algroth said:

Nowadays I reckon that if I were to play the game again, I'd just lower the difficulty to as close to story mode as possible. Story isn't fantastic, but there's enough of interest in the game for it to scratch that fantasy power trip itch, and there's certainly moments and characters I love. Give me all of that without the hassle of having to deal with its godawful combat.

Yeah that's how I play it too. Though I would say it's not the combat mechanics or system that's the problem but rather how encounters and enemies are balanced.

1 hour ago, uuuhhii said:

just adjust difficulty to lowest

why wasting time read all the tiny text description of spells and feats for hours when one can read all those slightly larger wacky dialogue text instead

Well, I kinda did. The problem is, that in general I don' find the game too difficult. And I generally like to engage with combat. After initial difficult wall, as game throws permanent ATT drain, I thought I had things under control enough to complete it all on "challenging". 

I didn't find story too engaging, outside of individual sequences everyonce in a while, and considering how combat heavy the game is I really don't see a point of playing it for anything other then combat. It's very IcewindDale'y in that regard.

1 hour ago, Achilles said:

What are you using for defensive prebuffs for that encounter?

So yeah, this is kinda where I run into problems, as I ended up with only a Priest in my party and no other spellcaster. Valerie as main tank, Amiri for smacking people, and my PC, ranger (because Deadfire fooled me into thinking rangers can be fun🤣). Harrim, and then sidequests leftover Nok-Nok, Kalikke.

That's clearly not great, but other quests were so easy up to this point, and enemies I enocuntered on my path we so disposable, I made a mistake of pushing through it before swapping companions (I really like -2 to strength Nok Nok makes with every hit, and I have been working on Kalikke to continue.... ekhm... with the other branch of her romance so to speak. My character is a Tiefling too, so... you know. Triple Tiefling sandwitch). 

Bless, then prayer once battle starts. I tried the unbreakable heart in case it would have an effect on sister's "stare" but I didn't notice an improvement so skipped it. Had plenty of potion so buffed stats - DEX and CON for characters who will get in melee range with driad - one for extra AC if possible and other for Fort save against her touch effect. also STR, WIS and DEX for attack/spell attack. Also attacks boost spells for my ranger (there is one which increases chances to hit, and another for sneak attack).

Greater Dispel to make driad as hittable as possible. I tried other stuff like bane, but I never managed to land it. In later attempt, as the goal was to land as many "bad touches" as possible I focused on that after greater dispel.

Whatever protections potions/scrolls I had (blur, dispacement, aid, shield of faith), though as driad casts couple dispells I don't think those survive until I can secure safety of Tristian. Thinking now, I probably should have saved them and drink them during engagemenet - after driad casts her dispells. 

Then one res in case I need it (priest was the one to fall anyway once he started to touch the driad with negative energy spells), and true strike to combo with slay living for immediate decent/great damage. As priest was the most reliable source of damage once her defences were dispelledhe was stacked with negative energy spells. 

I tried death ward but it didn't work on her attack. I greatly felt the last of slow and haste, but what can you do. 

42 minutes ago, Wormerine said:

I have been working on Kalikke to continue.... ekhm... with the other branch of her romance so to speak. My character is a Tiefling too, so... you know. Triple Tiefling sandwitch

Spoilered because even though this doesn't really matter as it's romance related but will give away a few possible outcomes.

Spoiler

I got a weird harem (not Harrim) ending where I ended up with Nyrissa and both sisters.

Like most things in this game I'm not sure if it just glitched or was an intentional outcome.

Edited by ShadySands
  • Thanks 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

I played the game with a party of 4 Rogues (+support spellcasters). With how the game handles flanking, at about level 9-11 (forgot when) they start doing 10+ (sneak) attacks per round each. Most encounters last only a few rounds, even bosses.

Not sure if it's the easiest way to play the game, but it certainly works for 99% of the enemies.

I assume turn-based probably makes this a bit harder, but not necessarily that much. Less attacks by you, but also less from enemies.

31 minutes ago, Wormerine said:

So yeah, this is kinda where I run into problems, as I ended up with only a Priest in my party and no other spellcaster. Valerie as main tank, Amiri for smacking people, and my PC, ranger (because Deadfire fooled me into thinking rangers can be fun🤣). Harrim, and then sidequests leftover Nok-Nok, Kalikke.

I realize that the way that I play isn't necessarily how everyone should or would even want to play, but...

Never leave home without Linzi. Pure bard (no multiclass or even dip levels), spell book emphasis on buffs and summons, UMD focus for scrolls and wands. She's quite possibly the most important caster in the game.

Also, a lot of people pass on the Blind Fight feats because they aren't sexy, but if you think about how many enemies have concealment (a ****ing lot of them for those who haven't noticed) AND that it makes the character immune to gaze attacks (bread and butter of the Sisters, Wild Hunt, etc), it's sorta clutch.

That encounter is tough but I think part of the issue is a lack of defensive casters in your party.

My 2 cents :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShadySands said:

You guys are making me want to reinstall it.

I still have the DLCs to try. Owlcat included them in my backer version even though the tier didn't specify anything about getting any DLCs for free. Was a nice move.

Something to look forward to once I get myself a better PC. With my current setup the loading times are so atrocious that I really don't want to play the waiting game again.

2 minutes ago, Achilles said:

Never leave home without Linzi. Pure bard (no multiclass or even dip levels), spell book emphasis on buffs and summons, UMD focus for scrolls and wands. She's quite possibly the most important caster in the game.

I did that, and then...

You have to play the entire endgame without her. Yay, I was so happy. Joy!

Edited by majestic
  • Like 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

3 minutes ago, majestic said:

I did that, and then...

Hide contents

You have to play the entire endgame without her. Yay, I was so happy. Joy!

Yeah. Let's just say that Jubilost can be leveraged to make that a little easier, making him ever more of a rockstar in the last act :)

• Like 1

I agree about Linzi's value. Generally I found the female companions to be both more useful and more to my personal liking as party mates than the male companions. Only Jubilost was someone I liked having in my party among the males.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Achilles said:

Yeah, she rarely leaves my party. 

Great tip about blind fighting... I haven't thought of that. Though in that particular fight, sister didn't blind my characters - just such out attributes on failed save throw. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kanisatha said:

I agree about Linzi's value. Generally I found the female companions to be both more useful and more to my personal liking as party mates than the male companions. Only Jubilost was someone I liked having in my party among the males.

I think all the party members are fairly badass in their respective roles. Ekun is probably my favorite companion, especially in Acts 2 and 3 where he really shines.

2 hours ago, Wormerine said:

Great tip about blind fighting... I haven't thought of that. Though in that particular fight, sister didn't blind my characters - just such out attributes on failed save throw. 

I may be misremembering, but I thought she throws out a brutal gaze attack. "Baleful Gaze" or something like that. I said it above but I'll repeat it here; Blind Fight will make the character immune to this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Achilles said:

I think all the party members are fairly badass in their respective roles. Ekun is probably my favorite companion, especially in Acts 2 and 3 where he really shines.

I may be misremembering, but I thought she throws out a brutal gaze attack. "Baleful Gaze" or something like that. I said it above but I'll repeat it here; Blind Fight will make the character immune to this.

Now I feel even more irritated. I glanced at BF description online and there is nothing about it. Honestly, if every skill description came with listed counteres it would make life much easier (as well as search button for inventory). As those type of enemies seem to appear constantly I might pick it up on next lvl up. 

Unfortunately I missed Ekun. I explored the area before Troll Troubles triggered when clearing the way to the ambush at the start of chapter 2. Didn't stop the 2nd time on my way south.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wormerine said:

As those type of enemies seem to appear constantly I might pick it up on next lvl up. 

You will definitely thank yourself for doing that later ;)

• Thanks 1

My half-orc keneticist arrived at Oleg's and beat the first round of bandits. Probably won't be able to play it more until Monday. Since I'm a goody two tusks I have Linzi, Amiri, and Valerie in my party.

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 3

Free games updated 3/4/21

4 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

Since I'm a goody two tusks I have Linzi, Amiri, and Valerie in my party.

That sounds like a winning team :)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, kanisatha said:

I would have much preferred Tristian over Harrim, but the human is a total squishy and there aren't a lot of good front line characters.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

So it's weird to go back to this after getting used to Pathfinder 2e, but I'm looking forward to the official turn based mode. For anyone playing the beta, how does it feel?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

42 minutes ago, rjshae said:

I would have much preferred Tristian over Harrim, but the human is a total squishy and there aren't a lot of good front line characters.

Valerie is the obvious candidate for the front line. My PC is also a fighter and the two of them make up the front line. Linzi is there for support and summons. Tristian for the heal-bot (until later levels where he becomes AOE damage caster). Last two spots are on a rotation, but are typically Ekun (damage dealer with his wolf as another front line NPC) and Jubilost (also for damage).

Everyone else comes out only for their side quest stuff, typically.

That's what works for me anyway

Edited by Achilles
  • Like 1

Ekun and that caster elf lady were only character i could stand in my group, rest was custom made because I was too irritated by rest of them

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

8 hours ago, Achilles said:

I used Ekun extensively in my playthrough and wondered for a while why he's killing it so hard. At some point he was mowing down enemy hordes like Legolas. Scores of trolls died before they even reached Valerie.

Turns out that was a bug too, the damage bonus of his bow kept stacking through reloads.

Still not as bad as Pillar's bug where you would lose all your bonus stats from your equipment if you double clicked on it instead of equipping it the normal way.

• Haha 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

7 minutes ago, majestic said:

I used Ekun extensively in my playthrough and wondered for a while why he's killing it so hard. At some point he was mowing down enemy hordes like Legolas. Scores of trolls died before they even reached Valerie.

Turns out that was a bug too, the damage bonus of his bow kept stacking through reloads.

Still not as bad as Pillar's bug where you would lose all your bonus stats from your equipment if you double clicked on it instead of equipping it the normal way.

ekun and nok nok are very overpowered

might be to balance out how late they join the party