Pachfinder Bugmaker: The Rekkoning

the_dog_days

Hey all you good folks, has any of you played the Tenebrous Depths DLC?

What I'm wondering is this: is it really just a series of rooms with monsters and unlocked treasure chests in them? I'm on level 4 now, and it appears that there is no narrative, nothing. If this is all there is, I'm not going to get any further, as it just doesn't look interesting. I mean, compared to this, Watcher's Keep in BG2 is Nobel class writing. (And looking at it any way at all, WK is pretty nice.)

Oh, I'm pretty sure there is, as it could hardly be otherwise. But I would be a lot more interested in the dungeon if there was at least an attempt at some kind of narrative. Or puzzles. Or something.

But in the first four levels, there was almost literally nothing. Just interconnected rooms with monsters and unlocked treasure chests in them, unlocked doors between rooms and sometimes the occasional unlocked secret door. Not very impressive.

Btw, was your comment written in the spirit of "I'm not going to spoil anything but you've got something good to look forward to", or was it simply a straightforward question?

As far as I've heard it's just a randomized place for people that love to dungeon dive. Supposedly dungeon depth is partially locked to your progress in the game if you play it as part of the campaign but I don't think there's any story to be found inside.

• Thanks 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

There's a subquest with Tenebrous Depths about killing some boss monsters in there, and there's some writing on items you can find there. But that's all there is, AFAIK. 

This is from playing it during the main campaign, completed 2nd tier. It's different if you just play it rogue-like, but I haven't tried.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, xzar_monty said:

Hey all you good folks, has any of you played the Tenebrous Depths DLC?

What I'm wondering is this: is it really just a series of rooms with monsters and unlocked treasure chests in them? I'm on level 4 now, and it appears that there is no narrative, nothing. If this is all there is, I'm not going to get any further, as it just doesn't look interesting. I mean, compared to this, Watcher's Keep in BG2 is Nobel class writing. (And looking at it any way at all, WK is pretty nice.)

I don't have any DLCs, but think I read somewhere that dungeon comes in two modes -- one is no story thing purely for crawling, another is related to story somehow, with companions having quips in there and stuff. 

13 hours ago, InsaneCommander said:

Finally started playing, but I'm having trouble advancing because I decided to create two mercenaries while their are cheap and there goes a few more hours in character creation. lol

I seem to have about 400 hours played, I'm sure about 200 of that is character creation.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, MrBrown said:

I seem to have about 400 hours played, I'm sure about 200 of that is character creation.

And 150 hours of loading screens. 🤣

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

6 hours ago, xzar_monty said:

Content? I mean, if you create a set of custom characters, you will miss out on an awful lot of written content.

This. I'll use the companions, but I still want to have a couple of mercenaries, just in case.

8 hours ago, MrBrown said:

It is even worse in PF, because I don't know the rules and subclasses.

• Thanks 1

sign.jpg

Everything works, optimization is not necessary. I think that's a good thing to keep in mind, if you're new to the rules.

I know that this a question that separates people on the basis of their temperament, and that's fine. For instance, my PnP role-playing group has a GM and three players. In the past twenty years (although it obviously took a lot less time than that), I have learned that it is extremely important for one of our players to calculate everything and figure out the optimum stats and approach for whichever character he happens to be playing. To me, it's not important, although I do not go out of my way to create bad characters. But since the point of the game is to have fun, I don't want to nitpick and spend extra amounts of time figuring out combinations that might, in the long run, improve my survival chances by, say, 3.75 per cent and produce, say, an average of 8.63 per cent more melee damage.

But I know that there are people for whom this is important, and, as I said, that's fine.

Edited by xzar_monty
  • Like 2

On 7/20/2019 at 1:45 PM, xzar_monty said:

Everything works, optimization is not necessary. I think that's a good thing to keep in mind, if you're new to the rules.

As long as you don't multiclass very stupidly, or distribute your ability scores badly for your class, yeah, I guess.

And you can always lower the difficulty.

When you use them they show up, stick around the throne room for a bit and eventually bug out. Or at least that's what happened when I played. It could work much better now. The item was still in my inventory - or rather, in the box, after using it. Not sure if everything worked as intended, game having had a rough launch and all.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Ok, I'll test them later and let you know. One of them gives +2 to Lore (Nature), which is significative in the beginning. And the other gives "emotional support" in saving throws, so I'm definitely giving it to Harrim. :)

Btw, they are making a survey:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScn2_tveYOMBaNprPIECqnwMTTVwy6BNBT6lYyz8CR4oHr6vg/viewform

sign.jpg

I never used the Panda, but often things with one charge have permanent buffs, but not sure - per above - maybe you just have to carry it?  I honestly don't remember if just carrying it gives the buff.

Edited by bringingyouthefuture

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy

• 5 weeks later...

So...I finished the game.  Took about 140 hours (which might be the longest game I've ever finished...).  I feel like the game is really let down by the last 1/3 or so.  I know a lot of people complain about the enemies at the end (and they do get a bit repetitive for me, but I didn't find them particularly difficult on normal) but for me it was mostly the fact that so much of the last part of the game is spent staring at the kingdom management screen.  I would finish the actual questing/exploring stuff in an in-game month or so, and then spend 8-9 months staring at the kingdom management screen, which might be fine if kingdom management was more interactive.  I want to go on these expeditions to clear out spiders, or invasions from another plane, not just read about random adventurers doing them.

Still planning on another playthrough at least (I want to see the "true" ending) with a bunch of mods (mainly Eldritch Arcana and Call of the Wild).  Overall, glad I kickstarted it, and I'll likely get the next game they're supposedly making, though I don't know that it'll be at full price.

I never finished this game.  I got all the way up to where I took over some bard's kingdom and then stopped playing.  It really was great, but after a while I got really tired of taking care of the kingdom.  I know I could put it on autopilot, but I set the game aside assuming I'd come back to it but never did.  I agree with you, Vaeliorin, about the kingdom management eating up time I could have spent questing.  I might get back to it, but time will be a premium in the coming months and I'm already in the middle of Divinity Original Sin 2.  I haven't actually finished a straight up RPG in years.  Halted on... Tyranny?  Whatever the game that Obsidian put out a while back.  I never got past the first five minutes of Deadfire.  I can't blame all that on the game, though.  I was basically unable to invest much time in gaming over the past couple of years until recently.

I *am* intrigued by Pathfinder and my wife and I are embroiled in a high level Pathfinder tabletop game with a bunch of folks.  I'm sure I'll eventually clear out all these games, assuming I live long enough.

The woodwork beckons.