Pachfinder Bugmaker: The Rekkoning

the_dog_days

New DLC comes out on Thursday but I think I will skip this one unless there's more to it than has been announced. I generally dislike having to play other characters in RPGs so having a whole chapter of that is pretty much a nonstarter even though I do think it's neat that those choices get imported into the main game.

Free games updated 3/4/21

Great. Now I can't even enter the huts in the village of the lizard people anymore. Time to reinstall.

And if that doesn't help, I'll just have to wait till I have the money for a new computer and try again from the start there.

Edit:

Wow, I had very little hope that it would work, but it did! Now I can play on.

Edited by LittleRose
  • Like 1

I have to admit, neither of the DLC's for this have jumped me with the "I need to pick these up" yet.  They're in that slightly "meh, I'll pick them up at some point when they're on sale" and get around to them rather than a "Wow, they look really interesting and add something to the experience."

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Man, everything from Ch. 6 onwards is such ****ing bull****. It's like they've taken a list of everything that was awful about the IE combat and just exacerbated them, just because, I don't know, it's a "hardcore experience" or something. I'm really close to just not bothering to complete this game.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Man, everything from Ch. 6 onwards is such ****ing bull****. It's like they've taken a list of everything that was awful about the IE combat and just exacerbated them, just because, I don't know, it's a "hardcore experience" or something. I'm really close to just not bothering to complete this game.

I just lowered the difficulty to "Story" for these chapters. It still took several hours to find the third key in the House at the Edge of Time.

And the last chapter is optional. I didn't know it on the 1st playthrough.

Here's a better DLC. It's also free ;)

https://www.nexusmods.com/pathfinderkingmaker/mods/79

That's an impressive mod!! I hope they do more of them.

I know how you feel, I am about to start Chptr 6, waiting for 7th Bald Hilltop and I am like, do I really want to go another 2 weeks in a slug fest ... taking a break, back to POE2 :) 

General question, I haven't searched the Owlcat forums ... I am pretty sure that Greater Bull Rush isn't working properly - "Whenever you Bull Rush an opponent, his movement provokes attacks of opportunity from all of your allies" is in the Greater Bull Rush description but I have yet to get any attacks of opportunity, need to test more ... kind of feeling like the combat abilities are somewhat difficult to use in combat, what are everyone's favorites that they get a lot of mileage - not talking about the passives, just the actives.

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy

Owlcat's forums is a dry desert with an occasional tumbleweed of some insubstantial post lazily tumbling past at infrequent intervals, and its wiki is a graveyard of abandoned stubs. It's telling when the most substantial information on the game can be found of Reddit of all places. :getlost:

That ability can be very well bugged because why not, a lot of other things are. My own most fun thing to use were Jubiliost's bombs, that guy was such a mean little murder machine. I loved bombs so much I'm thinking on building me a Grenadier. Will name him Guvnor and make him Lawful Evil because I really want to do mean things to everyone* and everything in the game. 

*(except Jubilost, he's alright)

• Like 1

Finally finished it. The House at the Edge of Time was such a slog that it basically killed any momentum the game had going into the final portion, and by itself took about two weeks to finish because I couldn't get myself to play it for more than a half-hour a day or something. It's got to be some of the worst design I've come across in an RPG of this 'calibre' so to speak, and whilst what came after with Chapter 7 wasn't as deeply insufferable (granted, I switched to story mode by then) I could no longer keep myself invested in the proceedings, and ultimately the epilogue with the party achievements and so on rang hollow to me (there's also potential bug-related stuff involved in these where some slides are incorrect relative to your decisions in the game and so on, but I'll let that slide).

Overall the game was very up-and-down. Some chapters were rich and enthralling, the likes of Season of Bloom or The Varnhold Vanishing; Sound of a Thousand Screams was, as mentioned above, utter bull**** and alone responsible for utterly derrailing my experience with the game; and the others were largely... Alright, though rather patchy here and there. There's a few set-pieces or dungeons here and there that either set up or pay off rather nicely an otherwise unremarkable and barebones story arc, the likes of the Rushlight Tournament or Armag's Tomb, whilst several aspects are left utterly unattended or rushed, proving very disappointing and detrimental to my experience. The Aldori-Surtova conflict, to which we had a pretty weighty introduction which involved speaking to all the representatives and so on, was never a real conflict in the game and seems to resolve itself almost as a throwaway addition whilst dealing with a completely different quest; meanwhile the capital and Pitax, two thriving, bustling cities which should have acted as hubs of a sort, are so utterly barren and devoid of worthwhile content it's mind-boggling. Christ, the four merchants in Pitax, who seem to be the only relevant characters in the map, don't even have a dialogue tree, that's how frustratingly barebones this city turns out to be! Instead we get superfluous arcs against hordes of trolls and barbarians, a stronghold management system that makes the best case thus far that maybe we should seriously start dialling back stronghold mechanics in RPGs, and fetch quests to the same five maps repeated ad nauseam in place of genuinely interesting side content. And what's the deal with recent isometric RPGs forgoing exterior maps for dungeon entrances? I feel the impact of several dungeons here is robbed when we have no visual aid about the place we're entering.

There's some promise and charm here though. The story is quite extensive and "epic" even if it doesn't amount to much of interest beyond your usual bit of escapism (nothing wrong with that though), the characters tend to be pretty colourful in their own ways and some are especially endearing (see Nok-Nok and, well, goblins in general), and some of the dungeon design and encounters are quite creative, even if others are in dire need of a rework or at least a few passes. Right now it is somewhat like Tyranny in that there's a decent skeleton to it but it feels rushed and unfinished, there's not enough meat to flesh out everything surrounding the critical chunk and add quite the detail and richness the better games of this sort usually have.

• Like 6

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

slides are incorrect relative to your decisions in the game and so on, but I'll let that slide.

:biggrin: I see what you slipped in here  :biggrin:

Anyway, I agree with most stuff you wrote, especially about cities -- for me is not a proper RPG without a city. Dungeons, eh, you saw one, you saw'em all, but cities are where's fun at. But yeah, the game has certain charm and me going for a replay despite of bland setting, bad to meh writing and assorted annoyances is a testament to that. 

Also, playing as a spellcaster is not much fun -- the setting seems to be inhabited by oddly willful (even the mangiest flea ridden wolf can dodge spells like a professional demilich :getlost:) but somewhat clumsy creatures so eventually all my casting was mostly mass freedom of movement and plop Webs everywhere. But guess what those suckers cannot dodge? Bombs.  8)  And what's better than a bomber in a party? Two bombers in a party!  :w00t:  So yeah, grenadier is fun and so is being Lawful Evil -- plus I got better town music and design, complete with the gibbet (empty so far, here's hoping to remedy that).

I don't think I'll finish the run proper though, different ending slides isn't worthy to suffer through the House again. And I can always go with my headcannon, where Charname and Jubilost clean out kingdom's treasury before leaving that swampy arse of the world to have adventures in more exciting places. 

• Like 3

I was curious about the Aldori-Surtova conflict.  Does anyone know if there is actually a story there?  Maybe if you take a different counselor?

I was curious about the Aldori-Surtova conflict.  Does anyone know if there is actually a story there?  Maybe if you take a different counselor?

You get different ending slides and depending on how your game goes taking one over the other might leave you without a Councillor for a while. :p

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

There's a story, but it is rather underwhelming. The background of their conflict in the second chapter was more interesting, than its resolution.

Spoilers for the 4th chapter:

It boils down to two dialogues after you repelled the barbarian invasion (only if you went to help Amiri first), where you can convince them to stay neutral. It requires you to be TN or N (not sure, was TN in both PTs). Also it's possible to side with one of them. Not sure, if you can just ignore both of them.

I'd like it to be the central part of the plot, instead of the kingdom-ruining fey.

• Like 1

It would make a decent post-campaign DLC but I don't know if we'll get any. I think next and last up is the random dungeon DLC or something similar.

I sided with the Aldori in my first two games and kept neutral in my third. The only difference was a few convos and the post-game slides IIRC.

• Like 1

Strange, I thought

the Surtova's would be the masterminds behind Pitax, or at least aligned with them when I got to the Kingdom wars.  I thought Pitax would be a little more involved too, maybe some major confrontations - kind of like the Season of Bloom!  I guess in a perfect world if you had aligned with Surtova - you could fight Restov and conquer, and if you aligned with the Aldori you would conquer Pitax and force Surtova to concede the thrown ... that was one chapter that seemed somewhat incomplete.

Edited by bringingyouthefuture
  • Like 1

Any decent agile fighter build around but which use normal sized weapons (long sword, bastart sword)?

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

For fun I was thinking Aldori Defender 8 / Duelist 7 / Sword Saint 5 ... that way you get a huge bonus for fighting defensively I think it is +7 AC (+3 dodge w/3 mobility ranks normally + 2 steel net from Aldori Defender + 2 elaborate defense from Duelist) with only a -2 penalty to attack from the Steel Net bonus.  I don't know, I went more ranks into alchemist which was fun too!! But in general if you go Sword Saint and Duelist you get a huge AC bonus because each uses Canny Defense and the dodge bonus stacks.

There's no such thing as too much magic!

This free DLC adds the following new spells to the game:
Create Pit
Spiked Pit
Acid Pit
Hungry Pit
Rift of Ruin
Battering Blast

An arcane scroll merchant will appear in your capital. The quantity and caster level of available scrolls depends on how high your "Arcane" kingdom stat is.
Furthermore, if you like turning into giant dragons as much as we do, you'll definitely enjoy the fresh, improved models for chromatic and metallic types of these formidable creatures.

Finally, on a more serious note, the last part of this DLC is a new pet. One of our players and our friend, known to the community as Stratagemini, lost his beloved cat Tiger just weeks before the launch of our game. Stratagemini has been with us since the earliest days of development, supporting us every step of the way, providing extensive and enlightening feedback in the alpha, and helping to shape this community into what it is today. As a token of our eternal gratitude, we've recreated Tiger in the game so that he may roam with his human friend once more - if only in the Stolen Lands.
Edited by ShadySands

...you can have pets? I mean, other than classes like druid or ranger can have? 

Not that I would equip an owlbear even if I had one. Really don't get Owlcat's fascination with them -- they're just so goofy looking, it's impossible to take them seriously as a monster. I mean, just look at this derp face:

7Y82SRT.png

Edited by bugarup