Pachfinder Bugmaker: The Rekkoning

the_dog_days

I pun therefore I am.

Old thread: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/104002-pathfinder-kingmaker-is-bigger-then-deadfire/page-01?do=findComment&comment=2123571

ShadySands:

Step by step work around that works, for me it never failed so far to get the DLC working:

STEP 1:Create a new game or load an old playthrough doesn't mater and make a new clean save, the point is to make sure tha save is the newest one.

STEP2: exit the game and start it again

STEP 3: DO NOT CLICK THE NEW GAMES BUTTON or the LOAD GAME BUTTON if you do, the DLC will fail to activate

STEP 4: click the CONTINUE button and NOTHING ELSE, not even setting

STEP5: wait for your game to load, and miracle the DLC is active, now you can go back to the main menu, you will notice your screen is much darker, and now you are allowed to click the new game button and the new race and class will be available

Would anyone say that the game is in a stable enough state that I can now play it without running into progression stopping bugs every few hours?

Edited by the_dog_days
  • Like 2

Great pun, though. :broad grin:

Anyhow, I don't know if the game's super stable, but I haven't seen a lot of glaring errors lately. Some of the writing makes me scratch my head, but overall they convey the ideas very well. Trying to decipher why they did this or that or why any particular statement or action is good or evil requires a good background in obscure divination.

Anyhow, I have a warning to any poor bastard who's going to pick up the game to go online and read guides about kingdom building. Some things are irritating, such as having my treasury raided in very close proximity. Having a negative balance in your treasury really tanks your stability. Once your stability gets into the riot zone, you're probably in a downward spiral and best pray you have cash and people to do things like hold feasts and plead with mobs of angry peasants. It's ****ing like a birthday with my extended family when I was a kid. Someone's going to get hurt.

• Like 1

χαίρετε

Can someone tell me why I can't rank up my minister? I can rank up all 9 other advisors, but I can't improve my minister past 2. Everyone else is 3 or higher at this point, with a few being 5. Stupid kingdom building mechanics. It's all clear as mud.

EDIT: So I did this quest for Irlene and I found this halfling villager's dead husband. Following the Lawful Good option, I promised to support her and her kids now that the husband's gone. 1 BP a turn?! lol How much can the little runt and her brood eat?! Sometimes it hurts being the good guy. So I guess that's another kingdom expense. A BP, though? Good Lord, you could probably feed and house the entire village for one BP a week. Maybe not build it. That would take probably 20 BPs startup, more or less. To keep it functioning? 1 to 3 BPs for the lot of 'em!

Edited by Epaminondas
  • Like 2

χαίρετε

Aw, Manveru, don't you know the argument? "The devil says you can't save them all so don't save any?" :polishing halo with a smirk: To be serious, though, the alignment system is stupid in conception, but it's so central to any DnDesque game there's no dumping it. ...And it can be fun, even if it's irritating. I used to loathe it. I mean, seriously, I used to write pages of screeds against the alignment system, but I just don't have the stamina to care about it much these days. In my alignment system, I'd call the decision to use public funds to support the widow of a man who died trying to circumvent the law misguided malfeasance. I can see personally trying to help her, but that would probably be to get her in touch with charities that help people in dire straights. The first one that comes to mind is Joseph's Storehouse just down the road, but there are others.

Anyhow, I finally got into Pitax and I'll just say that there are some *sweet* magic items for sale there. I hope I don't lose access to the goodies because I have a very strong suspicion my relationship with Irovetti will not age like fine wine.

• Like 1

χαίρετε

I pun therefore I am.

Old thread: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/104002-pathfinder-kingmaker-is-bigger-then-deadfire/page-01?do=findComment&comment=2123571

ShadySands:

Step by step work around that works, for me it never failed so far to get the DLC working:

STEP 1:Create a new game or load an old playthrough doesn't mater and make a new clean save, the point is to make sure tha save is the newest one.

STEP 3: DO NOT CLICK THE NEW GAMES BUTTON or the LOAD GAME BUTTON if you do, the DLC will fail to activate

STEP5: wait for your game to load, and miracle the DLC is active, now you can go back to the main menu, you will notice your screen is much darker, and now you are allowed to click the new game button and the new race and class will be available

Would anyone say that the game is in a stable enough state that I can now play it without running into progression stopping bugs every few hours?

It should be fine up to the 5th chapter. I'm on my 2nd PT and some of the bugs I've encounter on the 1st PT have been fixed. Some were added, though.

On an unrelated note, why there are rolls in non-combat skill checks? Unless it's the Iron Man mode, nothing stops the player from reloading until they succeed.

I pun therefore I am.

ShadySands:

It should be fine up to the 5th chapter. I'm on my 2nd PT and some of the bugs I've encounter on the 1st PT have been fixed. Some were added, though.

On an unrelated note, why there are rolls in non-combat skill checks? Unless it's the Iron Man mode, nothing stops the player from reloading until they succeed.

I suspect they simply made rolling one system - for everything. If you remove it from non-combat skills, it will be removed for combat as well.

Budget, you understand. ;)

heh. My mage won the brawling tournament in Pitax. I buffed the hell out of everyone when I went in and before each phase. So my mage had blur, displace, mirror image, greater heroism, haste, and some other spell. Anyhow, I ran away and let folks attack each other and then took on the last guy and won. lol The overall tournament was actually pretty fun.

EDIT: I'm finally done with the tournament in Pitax and now I have no idea how to end Linzi's dialogue with Eobald.

Edited by Epaminondas
  • Like 1

χαίρετε

First things first, the writing is uneven, but they did a great job with the NPC end dialogue. In fact, I enjoyed Tristan's quest so much that I redid the end to explore dialogue choices. The first time, I chose my own (Neutral Good) option since there wasn't one for Lawful Good. It was well done. Then I decided I didn't need a swing to Good, so I chose (Neutral) and had Tristan convince the dude himself. It was beautifully done. It honest to goodness sounded sincere, as real as begging someone to come back from the brink of self-destruction. Linzi's statement to Eobald about humans being animals that enjoyed stories reminded me of something I often say to my wife: "In your world, the animals talk to you. In mine, the people bite you." I think the game shines best with the NPCs. Even Amiri was well done. She sounds like an idiot when she talks, but her hangdog dejection when she begs for your help is absolutely in character and actually shows some development. Great job.

Now, for something funny. Playing on normal is great for running roughshod over everything in sight. I found this Lair of the Ilthuliak or some such. I saw it and buffed the hell out of my party and we got it first try. I was surprised by the little bastards coming out the woodwork to hinder my party and they actually packed a punch. Before the battle, I was considering whom I would protect from arrows because I only had one at the ready. I decided on Octavia. lol I debated putting it on Tristan, but Octavia usually draws more heat. Well, due to laziness, I don't micromanage fights like I used to do. So a couple of my guys got knocked out of the fight (and worse, both ended up at death's door). Still, not that bad of a fight all things considered and a lot of cool swag.

EDIT: How sad is this? I caught the goblin who stole my throne. I succeeded in my persuasion check which made him raise his price from 100g to 200g. I then succeeded in my intimidate check. Then I felt guilty, reloaded, succeeded in my persuasion check, and paid the little runt 200g because I felt bad for him. He was so happy to get some cash for the first time, I just shrugged and wrote it off as charity. I don't begrudge the coin, but I was a bit wistful for the experience. I'm an XP whore. Still, it was worth it.

Edited by Epaminondas
  • Like 1

χαίρετε

So if someone steals from you, you find it acceptable to buy it back from that person because you feel bad about them? Your character is such a nice guy. Mine would gut the pig.

EDIT: I wanted to do that with Linzi too (I really despise stealing and have no patience for it), but I didn't want to miss out on her quest :/

Edited by Manveru123
  • Like 1

Manveru, you glorious bastard! I'm almost positive you pointed me toward making Octavia an arcane trickster. That's been great.

Okay, I actually feel more sympathy for the goblin than Linzi. Linzi betrayed me. Like you, I didn't send her packing because I wanted to see her companion quests, but my instinct was to send her away as a traitor. She literally betrayed my trust rather than asking from me something I would have given in the first place. I tell you now, brother, after that I never trusted the little cheat again. ...And her dialogue is mostly uninspired also.

• Like 1

χαίρετε

I actually regret having to kill Jaethal. I had hoped to redeem her, but it wasn't meant to be. I'm sure there's some trick to it, but I'll take my lumps on this run. She really wasn't a bad companion for being undead and evil. My evil companions general act out their evil dispositions with some exceptions and my good companions act good with some exceptions. They really managed to do good and evil right with this game.

Anyhow, found this door in the middle of nowhere, literally. I went in and did my buff thing and walk around until I met this guy and talked to him. I helped him out, which took hours, only to end up in combat with a good chunk of my buffs gone. lol I did my usual point at the enemy and yell charge and then sat back to have a sip of coffee only to realize that there were three waves of these people. I could probably have finished the fight, but I reloaded and then played out the fight. I think it was definitely tougher than the Ilthuliwhatzits dragon, but only because of the waves. I had a devil of a time convincing these freaks to leave the road to perdition, and they didn't really leave the road so much as get buried under it. I never loot non-evil places, but there was so much stuff I did poke around, which is probably also no lawful good. There was one chest that had some sweet swag in it. : sigh: Aw well, next time I'll play chaotic good. There's more leeway to convince myself I'm not so bad if I filch an item or two.

EDIT: I also have to admit I laughed out loud at your comment, dog days.

Edited by Epaminondas
  • Like 1

χαίρετε

After having a long break, I finally managed to find some time to play Kingmaker and see what this new Wildcards DLC is all about. I even managed to get the damn thing to work without much issue. Must be Christmas.

So I've been hanging with our new companion for a while, and I have to say - I am really impressed with her so far.

Pretty much everything involving her is a spoiler territory, so I'll just say that she's a really creative idea for a companion, both in terms of story and mechanics. And to top things off, she's extremely likeable

especially her "good" part, Kalikke

and is pretty seamlessly integrated into a main story experience. And I understand now why she's (I'm going to call her "she" for the sake of convienience) a DLC companion and not in a main companion roster. There must have been insane amount of resources and time spent on her in order to make her work.

You essentially get two companions in a bundle that you can swap out at will. Something like Aloth/Iselmyr situation drawn the the most literal and logical conclusion.

Both have their own story and romance arcs, seperate banters, different subclassess and abilities and serve different functions in the kingdom. Imagine trying to program all that.

I was a bit sceptical for a DLC that includes "just" a companion, but Owlcat really made her worth the money. So, yeah - she's a fun addition to the game, I guess.

Edited by aksrasjel
  • Like 1