When do companions permanently leave the party?

Many companions belong to a faction and if you side with another one they may leave.

For example in my first playthrough I had Maia in my party, I joined the Huana and she left when I get the quest to blow up the brass citadel. Suddenly I had no high perception char in the party which is bad when dealing with traps and hidden things.

- Is there a list when each companion will leave the party?

I want to be an evil char who sides with the valiens, supports slavery and kills people in his way. I want Pellegina and Eder in my party, not sure which other chars will stay with me.

- Will companions leave when they do not like each other?

For example can I keep Pellegina and Xoti in my party?

I might be off but here is how I understand it:

Politically uninvolved party members:
-Eder, Xoti, Aloth. Maybe its possible for them to leave if you really dislike what you do, but all I got was serious talk with eder. 

-Pallegina - she is a strong supporter of Valians and will be upset if you do anything against Valians. She will leave you if you mess up quests involving feud of prominent Valian families

it is possible to kill both families by organizing parley but failing to make peace, but if player sides with either of the families, which could happen unintantionally due to timed nature of the quest, Pal will get upset with you.

. If you side with Huana she will leave, and if you pin sabotage of Rauataian powder house on VTC director she will leave you as well. Side note: I remember Josh tweating that if Pallegina is having "disgraced" background she will accept nothing less than siding with Valians. However, this claim has been contested by several players.

-Serafen - not so much interested in politics, but if you agree to support slavers he will leave.

-Takehu - he will leave if you side with RDC - as their plan is fairly anti-huana

Maia - she will leave when you agree to target RDC: so siding with Valians or Huana. 

I'm not sure if it's possible for companions to leave due to differences, but even if it is, those can be easily resolved. I did finish game with Pal and Xoti in the party for example. In addition all the leaving has been buggy throughout the games release - for example on my first playthrough no one left, and there are reports of companions not leaving if they are not present during the event. However, those are bugs and they might have been patched by now. 

Edited by Wormerine
  • Like 1

Interestingly enough I've found that if you reject the Hazanui's request to assassinate the Queen, Maia doesn't leave if you subsequently butcher everyone in the Brass Citadel who goes hostile (which is practically everyone).   

May or may not have something to do with high romance levels with her.

Edited by guildwriter

Thank you.

I will try a party with me (assassin/wizard), Eder (fighter/rogue), Aloth (pure wizard), Xoti (pure priest) and Pallegina (paladin/chanter).

I play on normal (or veteran if it is really too easy) and I want to use only full companions (no mercenaries, if possible no sidekicks) and most likely I will not be able to beat the mega bosses, but I should be able to finish the game with all expansions.

Guest Blutwurstritter

I think this is an oversight since it is pretty nonsensical that she would side with you when you are going to slaughter the bunch in the Brass Citadel even if they started it. Was there ever an official statement regarding Maia's behavior in this case ?

Interestingly enough I've found that if you reject the Hazanui's request to assassinate the Queen, Maia doesn't leave if you subsequently butcher everyone in the Brass Citadel who goes hostile (which is practically everyone).   

I remember testing things out by attacking VTC people (don't remember which exactly) and Pallegina immediately became hostile. More recently, I attacked the VTC headquarters Five Suns Honor Guards but nothing happened. Might have to attack the right people?

I have always liked Palagina as a companion and in my first playthrough with imported save from Poe1, I really felt bad about how things ended up for her after she supported me in Poe1.  So, I supported her and helped the VTC as much as possible although I did side with the pirates in the end.  Again, she still ended up with a pretty sad ending slide and again I felt like her life is ruined just for being my friend.

So, in my second playthrough I dediced to support Huana.  I was really torn over this decision because I knew it would cause Pal to leave me.  The thing is supporting Huana actually gave her a much happier ending.  Apparently her decision to leave me and report back about my decision was praised and rewarded and she ends up living happily ever after.  So, crazy as it sounds, not taking VTC to Ukizo actually worked out well for her.

Keep in mind also that by the time you go off to Ukizo the game is basically over.  You only have like two easy fights on Ukizo so you will have your companions for like 98% of the game. 

Edited by GamerSerg

• 10 months later...

I simply denied Castol my involvement in the VTC final quest due to my relationship with Maia. This made the VTC ending perma-closed, and Pallegina left as soon as I set sail, with a letter concerning my "hostile" approach to the Republics. I had no other picks for the faction siding at that moment, and only sided with the Principi much later (as I intended from the start).

Edited by Messier-31

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...