What faction did you like it most?

What faction did you like it most?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. What faction did you like it most?

• Huana natives
    • Vailian Trading Company
    • Royal Deadfire Company (Rauatai)
    • Principi sen Patrena

My head says VTC, and this is the faction I supported on my first run, but my heart belongs to the old Principi. They might be scum, but I find the idea of Furrante actually settling down on Ukaizo and founding the New Vailia irresistibly funny. I really didn't expect him to go through with it, thought it was fancy words to convince the Watcher that he has some grander goals than just slavery and plundering. I don't know if I will ever choose this route, but I sure like how it plays out. 

As for the rest, they all have their ups and downs (aside from maybe Aeldys reactivating the storm machine on Ukaizo? Sounds like the worst ending possible to me), but Rauatai's attitude towards the Huana is a huge nope for me, and I don't like Onekaza very much, so... 

rdc

a manifest and fraudulent god prevents any chance o' the huana coming to self realization that they is being tricked into supporting a dehumanizing and corrupt caste system.  the pirates?  well, they are, by definition, engaging in piracy, with all its predictable and attendant evils.  the vtc has no desire to improve life o' the average deadfire kith.  vtc owes allegiance to the ducs and shareholders.  any benefit the huana experience from their relationship with vtc is incidental and will be terminated as soon as is unprofitable.

rdc is only folks considering big picture.  rdc want best for huana if only 'cause rdc wants huana to become rauatai.   if core huana cultural mores were their own and not result, or at least receiving tacit approval  o' the beings deemed divine following engwithan collective apotheosis into "gods," we might feel sympathy for the victims o' colonialism as we is no doubt intended by deadfire writers and developers to sympathize.  engwithan manipulation offends and we see no possible self-generated liberty possible with the current dynamic.  huana beliefs ain't based on faith, 'cause their gods is not only manifest but active and responsive.

sure, the rauatai is self-interested oppressors, and in long run their yoke will be discarded on the ash heap o' history, along with the detritus o' so many other dead tyrants.  even so, the rauatai will leave behind infrastructure and they will end the caste system. good enough.

regardless, following our initial pirate run,  we have fully thrown our support behind the rdc. have seen the horror and channeled our inner colonel kurtz.  our resolve is unassailable.  am a man filled with love for the huana... am moral, but we got the strength to do what needs be done, without feeling, without passion, without judgement.

HA! Good Fun!  

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

All of them suck,

am thinking this were the intent and the point o' the faction choice.  were no clear villains and unimpeachable heroes.  obsidian wanted the faction choice to be a selection 'tween relative evils. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The Japanese Prussians - a.k.a. the Royal Deadfire Company.

They brought us the Belt of the Royal Deadfire Cannoneer in PoE. You gotta love them for that. ;)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 3

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

All of them suck,

am thinking this were the intent and the point o' the faction choice.  were no clear villains and unimpeachable heroes.  obsidian wanted the faction choice to be a selection 'tween relative evils. 

HA! Good Fun!

This has been the standard trope for all factions in PC RPGs for the better part of a decade or more.  What I'd say is that while I might have been okay with one faction or another, I don't like ultimatums.  Therefore I rejected all of them.  The RDC especially when they tried to force me to be an assassin for them and then subsequently kill me when I refused.  

Redecorating Atsura's office was especially fun.

Edited by guildwriter

This has been the standard trope for all factions in PC RPGs for the better part of a decade or more.  What I'd say is that while I might have been okay with one faction or another, I don't like ultimatums.  Therefore I rejected all of them.  The RDC especially when they tried to force me to be an assassin for them and then subsequently kill me when I refused.  

Well, what would you have, rather than ultimatum? Those are political factions we are talking about, and from different countries. For them it's win or loose game, and when they see opportunity they don't hesitate to act. Certainly not something comfortable to ally with, but it does feel believable. To bad game ends soon after that, and there is no chance to explore benefits of supporting one faction/detremend of not taking sides and letting factions tear Deadfire apart. 

All of them suck,

HA! Good Fun!

Did not they all wanted you to kill someone?

Principi I did not even count as a choice - bandits are bandits. Huana - technically - do have the rights on Ukaiso, and the idea of nation forming out of separated groups is attractive, but political murder as a tool with a Watcher as a murderer ... Sorry, my Watcher is no assassin. And Valians and Rautai are both too disgusting in their "gold vs steel" games (and murderous as well). If not for the last quest there could be a choice, but with it - no, I do not see my Watcher choosing anyone ever.

Edited by Mirandel

I think we're all losing sight of the most important factor here. 

The Vailian Trading Company owns the only working toilet in the Deadfire. 

How are the other factions even an option?

converse, perhaps vailians is the only kith who p00p?  oh, and just 'cause it is a Gromnir thing to do, we will note how peculiar is the word toilet.  gots a french origin and meant cloth? not 100% sure on the french.  original usage had it referencing fabrics wrapped 'round noggin during shaving and other tonsorial pursuits.  eventual came to reference the room where the privy were located.  the toilet as a specific object into which one relieves oneself is a rather modern usage and by definition speaks to the flush device. as such, am not sure if the vailian privy qualifies as a working toilet.  however, how the quest in question evokes a bit o' trainspotting imagery, am agreeing the "toilet" is indeed worthy o' recognition. 

following is only for those who can get into pg movies unaccompanied by an adult:

HA! Good Fun!

Well, what would you have, rather than ultimatum? Those are political factions we are talking about, and from different countries. For them it's win or loose game, and when they see opportunity they don't hesitate to act. Certainly not something comfortable to ally with, but it does feel believable. To bad game ends soon after that, and there is no chance to explore benefits of supporting one faction/detremend of not taking sides and letting factions tear Deadfire apart. 

I don't think the ultimatum approach is desirable for all factions ("realism" is a bad target but that's a different discussion).  To me one of Deadfire's issues is that there are design patterns that get overused and there isn't enough texture when it comes to certain things in the game.  Mannerisms get expressed in text rather than also changing up the kind of choices the player is offered.  But this is a discussion for another time.

I probably wouldn't have minded as much if the different factions weren't jobbing out their really dirty work to me as a prerequisite for their support.  I'm not getting compensated nearly enough to sacrifice my relationships/ethics with the other factions for that sort of thing (especially as I don't agree with any of the factions all that much).  So I butchered anyone who tried to force my hand (or thought deserved it anyways like the Principi) and did things my way.

I agree that another act would have been ideal as the true story is really the setting of Deadfire and the actions you take affecting the world.  

• 1 month later...

I chose to help Huana tribe, but I like a lot Vailian Trading Company ;)

I think that your poll question is a bit loaded.  Don't take that wrong.  It's not a criticism.  

I think that there are (at least) two different ways to look at the question "which faction did you like most?"   You can look at it as asking which faction did you like the most from a political point of view (within the game, of course).  And then you can look at it as asking which faction did you enjoy playing the most because it had the most interesting characters or most interesting story lines, etc.

I myself could see how the Principi could be fun to side with in some ways.  OTOH, they also seem like the most obviously evil faction, due to some of their actions, etc.  They are pirates, after all.  I would just be hard pressed to enjoy siding with them because I like the good guys, though in PoE2, even the other three factions are rather tainted, each in their own way.

VTC: works with slavers, takes bureaucratic advantage of Huana villagers.

Principi (Furrante): works with slavers

RDC: rampant amoral imperialists

Huana: abhorrent caste system (unless the wheel somehow really does guarantee that all Roparu are reborn into a better caste, but even then).

That leaves Principi (Aldys). A lot of people misread her ending slides, but after plundering Ukaizo she essentially makes it impossible for anyone to go back, which is the only ending where the balance of power in the Deadfire isn't totally upended by any one faction (aside from there being more pirate activity).

It makes repairing the wheel harder, but Eothas says kith are on the cusp of outpacing the Engwithans using their own technology anyway. Also, none of the other faction heads calls me "lovesome," so that's a factor.

Edited by Purudaya

All of them suck,

HA! Good Fun!

Part of me wishes that there was a somewhat obvious "least worst" choice. 

Somewhat obviously, I'd think that neither of the Principi options would be anything other than bad.  It was just a choice of which flavor of "bad" you preferred.  The charming slaver supporting pirate or the anti-slavery, insane pirate.

The Valians are also charming for the most part, but on some level they support slavery, whether it's officially or just certain leaders.  And while they're certainly capitalists and that doesn't bother me, something gnaws at me over the thought of mining the luminous adra.  It's hard to compare it to any natural resource on Earth.  The adra seems so special and a part of what makes Eora "Eora" that mining it and converting it to adra dust seems sort of sacrilegious.  So, that's a turn off for me.

I can sort of sympathize with the Rauatians. They live in a land wracked by storms and have to import most if not all of their food.  At the same time, they're certainly imperialists who are out to "civilize" the Deadfire's natives.  And they're not above using nasty means to do it.

The Huana are probably the most noble of the bunch, even if they can be a bit pushy at times.  I guess it's safe enough to say that some of their edginess comes from feeling like everyone's out to take what belongs to the Huana.  The thing is that they don't really seem to be strong enough to stop from being conquered.  The only thing that prevents it at the moment is the balance of power between the contending forces.  But if the Valians or Rauatai gains an advantage over the other in the Deadfire, they'd probably be easily able to conquer the Huana. I don't really see the Principi being in any position to stop this, though arguably they might prefer it to remain as is, since having either the Valians or Rauatai in control of the DF could mean an end to the Principi.

Part of me would like to just say screw it and go it alone.  Of course, one of my personal things would be that I'd want to destroy the storm machine on Ukaizo because from what I can see, it affects more than just the Deadfire, but a large portion of that part of Eora.

I sided with the Rauatai in my first run.  I'm not entirely sure which faction I'll side with this time, though it won't be the pirates.  I'm leaning towards the Huana though.  Or going it alone.

VTC: works with slavers, takes bureaucratic advantage of Huana villagers.

Principi (Furrante): works with slavers

RDC: rampant amoral imperialists

Huana: abhorrent caste system (unless the wheel somehow really does guarantee that all Roparu are reborn into a better caste, but even then).

That leaves Principi (Aldys). A lot of people misread her ending slides, but after plundering Ukaizo she essentially makes it impossible for anyone to go back, which is the only ending where the balance of power in the Deadfire isn't totally upended by any one faction (aside from there being more pirate activity).

It makes repairing the wheel harder, but Eothas says kith are on the cusp of outpacing the Engwithans using their own technology anyway. Also, none of the other faction heads calls me "lovesome," so that's a factor.

VTC you don't have to work with slavers. If you resolve the slaver situation by killing everyone Castol basically doesn't even acknowledge anything; plus you can always go along with the coup that unseats him.

Also, "leaving the balance of power" is itself not a great moral option, because it's not like the status quo is particularly good. Also, the principi literally make money from plundering property that isn't theirs.

That being said, only with the Principi can I get a whole room full of people completely sloshed and also recruit a perpetually drunk character (who finally in SSS and FS got some interactivity). Also only faction where I can gain tons of reputation just by giving someone candied nuts. So whatever, let's greet the end of the world with drinks in hand.

Edited by thelee
  • Like 1