What difficulty scaling for first run-- but as an RPG / PoE1 expert?

Hi!  About to start first run now that the last dlc and patch 4.0 is out.  I have played Poe1 5 times and infnity engine games for 20 years.  I know may way around these kinds of games.

I like to be challenged but not frustrated.  I like having to reload once and at most twice for boss fights.  I like finishing off mobs with creativity needed but not grandmaster level strategy.  

I usually play on the veteran level of most games, even to start.  Almost never the highest level, and almost never the normal level

So, as I get ready to start a shifter/fighter run for Deadfire, I cant decide what to choose in terms of difficulty and scaling.  I think veteran and upscale for critical path only is the way to go for a good challenge but not a headache inducing one (I am a completionist though, so I wonder if I should upscale all?)  

Any advice?

Thank you!

• Like 1

Guest Psychovampiric Shield

PotD and scale everything (only) up. The game is not difficult and if you find intro island hardcore at this setting, rest assured difficulty drops thereafter (unless you mod the game, in which case it drops anyway, but less dramatically).

Another hint though: if you know X from PoE 1 and X is also in PoE 2, it may behave differently. Debuffs are good example.

If you're as good as you say, anything else than PotD with level scale up should be too easy for you.

Ha!  I'm pretty good but it does take a little bit to learn things the first time through a game...  which is why I am leaning toward Veteran scaled up... maybe save PotD and challenges for run 2.  But folks seem to be saying go full PotD, so maybe...

• Like 2

I would go Veteran and upscale all. If you are a completionist I would also download mod to reduce XP gain.

I am not 100% sure how balanced the game is now. I found expansions just right on Veteran - somewhat challenging, couple deaths, but never overwhelming.

The biggest problem in Deadfire is tendency to overlevel content - therefore xp mod.

I am not sure what game considers as crit path, I would just suggest to upscale all.

Dear OP,

Whichever difficulty level you choose, bear in mind that the first island is likely to be a lot more difficult than anything you meet after that. For me, the hardest fight has been on that first island, right before I was able to pick up a certain companion. Nothing has come even close after that.

• Like 2

Dear OP,

Whichever difficulty level you choose, bear in mind that the first island is likely to be a lot more difficult than anything you meet after that. For me, the hardest fight has been on that first island, right before I was able to pick up a certain companion. Nothing has come even close after that.

No enemy in the entire Deadfire Eora is stronger than the ones in this fight.

• Like 1

sign.jpg