Hello everyone,

now that Forgotten Sanctum is out, I'm planning on doing a new playthrough. 

In my previous save (got to around level 14 before deciding to wait for all the DLCs), my party didn't have a lot in terms of offensive spells. It just seemed that it was hard to get enough accuracy. My party was Eder as a tank (fighter/rogue), MC as a gun based holy slayer, Maia as a gun based ranger, tekehu as a healer (mostly) and Serafen as a damage/CC witch.

In my new save I want to be more spell focused - especially with the new blood mage subclass which seems great.

Before I begin my save - are my fears of never connecting on my offensive spells unfounded? What are the important things to do to make sure that an offensive spellcaster actually connects?

As always: buff ACC (for example with Devotions), then debuff enemies defenses (for example with Miasma of Dull-Mindedness), then cast damaging spells (for example Shining Beacon).

Bonus points when using weapon modals to lower enemies defenses a lot (Flail, Club, Morning Star).

Also make sure you buff your PEN and debuff enemies' AR. Nothing is more annoying than to hit with a spell and then severely underpenetrate.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Are there any types of spells (or specific spells) that are particularly good/important or bad on POTD, when it comes to the actual damage spells?

My favorite buff/debuff spells so far have been Secret Horrors and the druid spell that gives everyone healing and +2 AR.

What is the best way of increasing PEN on spells, besides the elemental traits?

Being Tenacious (inspiration) is a good way to raise your universal PEN.

Also lowering enemies' AR with stuff like Hel Hyraff or Expose Vulnerability or simply a weapon modal (mace) is beneficial for everybody.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods