Open World?/ Does the game have loading screens

Is outer worlds an open world game like New Vegas or is the game linear. Are the planets in the game you visit small sandbox areas or more enclosed?

Does the game have loading screens when entering buildings and when traveling to different planets on your ship?

As far as Obsidian has let on, it's not open world but instead it's split into smaller explorable areas that will have loading screens between them. Also, the ship is supposed to function like the one in Mass Effect where you can explore the interior, load to other areas and chat up your companions, but can't directly pilot. This doesn't mean it's linear though, from what has been said it's actually very non-linear. Too often it is assumed that "no open world = no exploration" when that is simply not true.

• Like 9

"The light inside has broken, but I still work!" -Vending Machine, 2018 AD

As far as Obsidian has let on, it's not open world but instead it's split into smaller explorable areas that will have loading screens between them. Also, the ship is supposed to function like the one in Mass Effect where you can explore the interior, load to other areas and chat up your companions, but can't directly pilot. This doesn't mean it's linear though, from what has been said it's actually very non-linear. Too often it is assumed that "no open world = no exploration" when that is simply not true.

They said that the different areas open op the moment you get the ship. So it appears to be a non linear game.

Closer to Knights of the Old Republic with different hubs.

Yes this is what it sounds like. Different hubs separated by loading screens. I suppose some buildings would have them too upon entering.

Yes! We have no bananas.

They said that the different areas open op the moment you get the ship. So it appears to be a non linear game.

I literally just said that lol

It's hybrid open world

you heard it here first, LOL...

There's no such thing as "hybrid" open-world. A game is either open world (one larger interconnected area that can be traversed without loading screens) or it isn't.

Edited by Kristy
  • Like 1

What we call it is probably less important than what it is. At least as long as we have words to describe what it is. What I'd like is that it allow for plenty of exploration. The original fallout had overland movement and loads into locations, and that was good. I never played Mass Effect, but I did play KotOR. If they're billing it as a sort of spirit of Fallout, that means some element of exploration. How they achieve that and what we call it doesn't matter to me. However, if we can get away from the long load screens of Pathfinder, I would be happy. Dungeon Siege (and especially Dungeon Siege 2) didn't have load screens but were very linear. Great games.

χαίρετε

I never played Mass Effect

You should. It's barely an RPG but still has its merits as a decent space opera thing. It's mostly driven by characters rather than by story itself.

And the ending in the third game sucks.

But until that it's pretty enjoyable.

Edited by DSeyka
  • Like 5

What we call it is probably less important than what it is. At least as long as we have words to describe what it is. What I'd like is that it allow for plenty of exploration. The original fallout had overland movement and loads into locations, and that was good. I never played Mass Effect, but I did play KotOR. If they're billing it as a sort of spirit of Fallout, that means some element of exploration. How they achieve that and what we call it doesn't matter to me. However, if we can get away from the long load screens of Pathfinder, I would be happy. Dungeon Siege (and especially Dungeon Siege 2) didn't have load screens but were very linear. Great games.

This game is confirmed to have loading screens

Edited by Kristy

It sounds like mass effect Andromeda is a good comparison to the kind of thing it will be with each planet being it's own sandbox and then there will probably be other smaller areas.

but hopefully it's sandboxes will be more interesting than Andromeda's.

I really like the developer's comparison to KoTOR 2

• Like 4

I never played Mass Effect

You should. It's barely an RPG but still has its merits as a decent space opera thing. It's mostly driven by characters rather than by story itself.

And the ending in the third game sucks.

But until that it's pretty enjoyable.

The mining mini-game in ME2 was pretty awful as well. Hopefully there won't be anything like that.

Edited by rjshae
  • Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

It seems to have just as much in common with Kotor II. So, plenty of loadimg screns.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Is outer worlds an open world game like New Vegas or is the game linear. Are the planets in the game you visit small sandbox areas or more enclosed?

Does the game have loading screens when entering buildings and when traveling to different planets on your ship?

Since it isn't going to be open world, the gameplay transition between areas is going to be a lot like travelling between the different zones on the Strip in FNV.  I never even realized that the vanilla NV was closed off with loading screens like that. I used the New Vegas Interior mod the first time I ever played FNV (which was heavily modded). So the strip was one continous open region. lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For some reason I am expected alot of load screens but quick ones that only last 10 seconds (on faster pc's).

The game is said to have multiple huds so this wouldn't be too far off.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Developers confirmed once again today that it is not open world. Loading between smaller maps instead of a continuous world. People will probably sweep it under the rug yet again though and continue coming up with unrealistic expectations >.> (sorry ive seen too many dumb youtube comments lmao)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Loading situations won't ruin the game anyway... but is is worth investing in reduced loads....

I think c developers set their sights way too high or way too low sometimes... it's got to be no loading and everything has to be

marshalled around that, or some people go with it has loading so what? 

Players the typical player etc, if they want TOW to be a big success IMO, notice the in between stuff, everyone does, actually...

So lets aim for that. 

As long as you can go anywhere at any time it is open world. Loading screens, hubs and whatnot have no impact on what type of genre it is. There's many open world games that have hubs.

I hope this game is a bit more lineair so we can actually have a proper and engaging story. If the hubs become available as you progress through the game's story (like in Borderlands) then that would be good I think.