Yes. It was there in release (kind of) and doesn't seem to want to go. Maybe the priority for fixing this is low since it doesn't do much harm. Problem is that that shifted models are a lot bigger and won't fit in the space.

You already posted that question in the bug subforum, didn't you?

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

This might be working as intended. IIRC the devs chose to prevent all VFX from displaying in the inventory (primarily spell VFX, but apparently also the effects of Spiritshift) because they were causing a variety of issues. Disabling them proved simpler than trying to fix all the issues, it seems.

A shame, as some of the VFX is truly superb.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

This was the last straw. In general, this game is more like a giant DLC. The same portraits, the same races, the same classes, the same abilities (with a few weak exeptions). 

Not sure I follow. Same as what, exactly?

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

So - in Baldur's Gate 2 you had a completely different set of races, classes and abilities compared to Baldur's Gate 1?

Also the claim that Deadfire has the same classes and abilities is obviously very wrong. Unless you mean Obsidian should have made completely new classes and abilities like Torchlight II did compared to Torchlight I. In a sequel. With the same world and the same protagonist...

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Besides, many abilities with the same name actually work very differently in Deadfire compared to PoE; combat mechanics in general are fairly different.

"So - in Baldur's Gate 2 you had a completely different set of races, classes and abilities".

Almost completely different set of abilities, 2 new races, 3 new classes (not just tiny cosmetic changes in game mechanics). Bigger world, deeper story. Progress, not regress. 

Edited by baron_saturday

Speaking of progress:

In Deadfire you have a lot new abilites and revamped old ones. You have 50(!) new subclasses in addition to the 11 main classes of PoE. You have multiclassing. Bigger world, more content, full voice over, completely overhauled mechanics, transition from per-rest to per-encounter, ship fights, God's Challanges, Berath's Blessings, Mega Bosses.

All that without an ancient Pen & Paper ruleset and -lore that got playtested and evolved for decades before coming to the computer as CRPG.  

Facts™, not calumnies.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 3

"You have 50(!) new subclasses in addition to the 11 main classes of PoE."

And all these 50 subclasses add almost nothing.

"full voice over" - this I can consider progress, ok.

Everything else - cosmetic changes, and sometimes these changes for the worse. Ship fights, for example, are boring as hell. The story is weaker, companions are shallow as a puddle. 

And shapeshifring bug....

Sure. Abilities for Power Levels 8 and 9 are only cosmetic. Minoletta's Missile Salvo only puts rouge on enemies' faces.

Same with the new abilities for martial classes for all Power Levels. I'm pretty sure stuff like Penetrating Strike and all the upgrades like Mule Kick, Gouging Strike and so on are only cosmetic, too.

All the Subclasses add nothing except they change the behavior of the class abilities (see Watershaper/Stormspeaker/Shattered Pillar, Bloodmage and many more) or even grant different spells (see Priest). Almost nothing...

Story is weaker etc.: just your opinion. I could say Minsk an Boo were silly and shallow as a puddle. Just my opinion.

But ok - the horrible, game breaking Spiritshift bug in the inventory is really bad. I mean how can anybody even play this game when I can't see my Spiritshift model in the inventory? I mean looking at the inventory is so useful during combat - who wouldn't be upset about this?

By the way what are you doing in the inventory during combat?

Edit: this forum has a quoting function. You can either use the quote button under my posts or directly type

[quote]the stuff he said[/quote]

The button in particular may be more convenient than copy&pasting sentences. You can always edit the quote that gets inserted into your post before submitting.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

"Sure. Abilities for Power Levels 8 and 9 are only cosmetic. Minoletta's Missile Salvo only puts rouge on enemies' faces."

Yes, they are. More Minoletta's Missiles? Awesome. Real flight of fancy. And this is PoE 2. Lazy, sloppy work. Why do we need to create something new, just add another Minoletta's Missiles.

And bugs - our true fans would swallow everything. 

P.S. The quoting function is horribale.

I feel dissapointed. Yes, I do understand that I am exaggerating. Yes, it was kinda naive to think that a sequel could create the same strong impression as in original game. 

However, by acknowledging that, I still find too many little "lazy work" moments. How much efforts and resources do you need to add more new portraits? To create multiple versions of fire godlike head (not just several versions of horns with the same iron face)? It would be great to add several new abilities for each power level. Adding new races and\or classes would be even greater. 

And I want to see a big figure of the spirit form in my inventory, of course:)

• Like 1

Portraits and models actually take a lot of art time to make, so they end up being very expensive. I too would like to have more variety there—can never have too much unique art in a game—but Deadfire is a mid-low budget game; I understand why they couldn’t spare the time for more of it.

I feel dissapointed. Yes, I do understand that I am exaggerating. Yes, it was kinda naive to think that a sequel could create the same strong impression as in original game.

However, by acknowledging that, I still find too many little "lazy work" moments. How much efforts and resources do you need to add more new portraits? To create multiple versions of fire godlike head (not just several versions of horns with the same iron face)? It would be great to add several new abilities for each power level. Adding new races and\or classes would be even greater.

And I want to see a big figure of the spirit form in my inventory, of course:)

Fair enough. Was and is still my biggest gripe with Deadfire: why putting so many resources into reinventing the wheel when they could just have left the mechanics as they were and focus more on content?

But as is they reworked all mechanics, tried to streamline everything and listened to the feedback they got on PoE. This all took a lot of time and effort and thus (naturally) there wasn't as much time and money for content related stuff.

And while I like the main game although it's not my fsvorite, the DLCs are top notch in my opinion. Here you can see what happens when the foundation is done and the devs can just come up with stuff and play with it.

Edited by Boeroer

The shapeshifting showed up in the inventory screen for me in an earlier build - but the weapons didn't disappear so my Cat-form had an axe in his knee (poor thing).

It was cool to have but not a game-breaker to miss.  Perhaps it could be modded in (axe-in-the-knee notwithstanding)?

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

It did display - but since the Spiritshift model is a lot taller than the kith model it didn't fit: the head was cut off and other stuff. Same with Form of the Fearsome Brute (Ogre shapeshift).

And since the inventory is of little use during combat anyway they decided to go the easy route and just not show the shifted model there. Which was the best decision (looking at the cost-benefit ratio) in my opinion.

Edited by Boeroer