The creators of The Outer Worlds on learning to make better RPGs

This is interesting : 

When you get to major story points or major turning points in the main story arc, nine times out of 10 to get into the place where you can start using your dialogue skills effectively, you have to have an extra piece of information, maybe have done research on the character, find that item that they've always been looking for because you've talked to people and you find that out. It's not just a simple matter of like, 'I'm going to put all my points into dialogue skills and then whenever I talk to these guys, I get those options.' Once you get those options, they'll get you to where you want to go. 

I like that they invest in your choices and exploration you did in game and react to stuff you have done in the world

Edited by draego

When you get to major story points or major turning points in the main story arc, nine times out of 10 to get into the place where you can start using your dialogue skills effectively, you have to have an extra piece of information, maybe have done research on the character, find that item that they've always been looking for because you've talked to people and you find that out.

Well, that's only good RPG if the 'secret' dialogue option is hidden.  If it is just disabled, then one simply goes to the wiki or uses console commands to acquire it, LOL...

I know, I know, we've all been in situations where we didn't find a 'key' needed to advance the story, and saw the disabled dialogue option and went ah-ha!  Sometimes saved much hair pulling frustration, I get it.  Just wondering, maybe there is a better way though...

I actually always enjoyed FO3/NV hacking. But I'm fine with no minigame when the available ressources can be put to better use elswewhere by the devs.

I would actually like to see a more complex lockpicking system in a form of a minigame. I really liked Oblivion's and moderately liked Risen's approach to lockpicking.

I actually always enjoyed FO3/NV hacking. But I'm fine with no minigame when the available ressources can be put to better use elswewhere by the devs.

Yeah, it’s alright. But I don’t think that not having those damages game in any way. In the end it’s about how skill helps you save resources. I am curious if OW will use Deus Ex system (the higher hacking skill the less lockpicks required) or if it will be a hard cap (need that much skill to lockpick). Personally I though the original DE multi tool/lockpick system was great, as it opened more ways for people who invested in hacking/lockpicking, while still allowing everyone to open each, individual lock with enough resources.

• Like 1

- I am happy that there are no mini games for skills. You need to think about that you will be hacking or lock picking hundrets of times in this game if you take a char with those skills. Things get even more frustrating when you try to hack or pick the same thing several times in a row. I think its better when the game just tells you that you need another tool or that your skill is not high enough.

Its better to drop something if it might annoy many players but very few people will miss it if it is not there. Do you miss a mini game for locks or traps in the original Fallout or the IE games/Pillars of eternity?

- Sometimes its fun to see people do not care about our puzzles.

Well, in the example given there and in many other situations there is a very simple solution to most problems: A headshot with a sniper rifle, my preferred method to deal with enemies in those games. Well, maybe a battery shot in case of a robot ;) .

This is a great article and I am really looking forward to this game. I hope that they can combine the good parts of their former games (TOEE good combat, bad story vs arcanum godd setting/reactivity and bad combat.

But I am afraid of the result if they manage to combine the bad parts :bat: .

• Like 1