Finished it recently. Very, very nice DLC. Lots of lore, sequel hooks, ambiguous information. It's not too long, not too short. Dialogue is good. The dungeon part is pretty straigh forward, it's hard to get off the track. The boss fight is a handful, probably the hardest in the entire game. Would give it 8.5/10 or even 9/10, the same score as for the Beast of Winter.

I did that solo with Herald and he barely scratched me. Megabosses are still much harder.

Your mileage may vary, although it's not only my impression. I passed the megabosses entirely as I was mostly interested in the story. Also, I played solo though the first game and I know that it is quite a different experience, especially management-wise. I must say that my paladin also survived splendidly throughout most of the duration of my attempts to defeat the Oracle. The problem was with the more squishy party members.

What does everyone mean by 'equipping' Concelhaut?

I think they're talking about his Skull that you get as a "pet" (for your pet slot) after defeating him at Berkana's Observatory. Like you can get Nemnok as a pet for your pet slot after defeating him too.

Ah I see, thanks. And he makes comments on things? Is it worth equipping him just for these?

Any tricks or tactics for beating the Frightened Child?  I've tried using the room's doorway to limit the number of mobs but they just overwhelm me (as they have LoS from within the room).  I tried looting all the bodies first to see if that "disarmed" them before the child summoned them.  Fighting outside the room seems to aggro the librarians, though I did flee back to the elevator and that seemed OK for fighting (near the elevator).  The "Imaginary Friend" mobs all the mobs seem to do a lot of damage on PoTD.

Also - is there a trick to operating the Flesh Construct Controller?  I have over the Mechanics check, but every time I "reached into it" I got an injury ...i can't see how to get it to either make the contructs side with you or destroy them ...

Edited by brasilgringo

Any tricks or tactics for beating the Frightened Child?  I've tried using the room's doorway to limit the number of mobs but they just overwhelm me (as they have LoS from within the room).  I tried looting all the bodies first to see if that "disarmed" them before the child summoned them.  Fighting outside the room seems to aggro the librarians, though I did flee back to the elevator and that seemed OK for fighting (near the elevator).  The "Imaginary Friend" mobs all the mobs seem to do a lot of damage on PoTD.

Also - is there a trick to operating the Flesh Construct Controller?  I have over the Mechanics check, but every time I "reached into it" I got an injury ...i can't see how to get it to either make the contructs side with you or destroy them ...

Well, kill the Librarians first. That fight is one of the hardest ones, at least for my solo herald it was. You have to seperate them, then it's easy. If you got summons, you can block the door and attack at range.

• Like 1

I solo'd it with my Assassin/Skaen by eliminating specific friends first.  Chanter, Priest, Druid, Mage all should go ASAP.  Chanter especially as the buff it gives the friend is a random T3 inspiration chosen as needed (it will give itself Robust as it gets lower).  After that kill the Frightened Child and everything else despawns.

Flesh Construct Controller requires that you have read a specific book to know how to interact with the machine correctly.  Make sure you've checked every bookshelf.  Can't remember where you get the manual from.

Edited by guildwriter
  • Like 1

Any tricks or tactics for beating the Frightened Child? I've tried using the room's doorway to limit the number of mobs but they just overwhelm me (as they have LoS from within the room). I tried looting all the bodies first to see if that "disarmed" them before the child summoned them. Fighting outside the room seems to aggro the librarians, though I did flee back to the elevator and that seemed OK for fighting (near the elevator). The "Imaginary Friend" mobs all the mobs seem to do a lot of damage on PoTD.

Also - is there a trick to operating the Flesh Construct Controller? I have over the Mechanics check, but every time I "reached into it" I got an injury ...i can't see how to get it to either make the contructs side with you or destroy them ...

If you tickle the gland in the organic device, you can get the flash constructs on your side.

In my solo run, I made the flash constructs friendly, and then lured the frightened child + companions out into the room with lots of flash constructs, which joined in the fight. That made things a lot easier.

OK, thanks @baldurs and @guildwriter.

I cleared the rest of the map first (couldn't find the manual for the machine).  Then I went back and pulled / kited the imaginary friends pretty much back to the room with the Matauru, pausing only to put Gouging Strike on 1-2 following me. I was able to kite them 1-3 at a time this way and wear them down, solo.  I had been trying not to kill any LIbrarians (I thought maybe that was a thing) and I also though the LIbrarians would turn hostile if you fought near them, but apparently (i) it doesn't matter and (ii) only if you attack them.  So basically I kited and ran and wore them down.  A bit cheesy.  One would have liked a way to facetank the room.  I also couldn't figure out how to do enough spike damage right at the start to eliminate the Child -- and when I had kept trying, it put me too close to the center of the room.  So hit-and-run had to be the tactic; if you enter un-stealthed, they'll aggro on you close to the door.

Still gotta find that manual for the machine, to make it easier on a subsequent run.  EDIT:  so it's located in the Catalog Room of the Central Stacks, which is the *other* area you can visit from the central area where you first meet the imps/Tayn/Llen ... so if you go there first, you can get the Manual before going all the way down to the level in the Collections with the Flesh Golums.

Edited by brasilgringo

OK, thanks @baldurs and @guildwriter.

I cleared the rest of the map first (couldn't find the manual for the machine).  Then I went back and pulled / kited the imaginary friends pretty much back to the room with the Matauru, pausing only to put Gouging Strike on 1-2 following me. I was able to kite them 1-3 at a time this way and wear them down, solo.  I had been trying not to kill any LIbrarians (I thought maybe that was a thing) and I also though the LIbrarians would turn hostile if you fought near them, but apparently (i) it doesn't matter and (ii) only if you attack them.  So basically I kited and ran and wore them down.  A bit cheesy.  One would have liked a way to facetank the room.  I also couldn't figure out how to do enough spike damage right at the start to eliminate the Child -- and when I had kept trying, it put me too close to the center of the room.  So hit-and-run had to be the tactic; if you enter un-stealthed, they'll aggro on you close to the door.

Still gotta find that manual for the machine, to make it easier on a subsequent run.  EDIT:  so it's located in the Catalog Room of the Central Stacks, which is the *other* area you can visit from the central area where you first meet the imps/Tayn/Llen ... so if you go there first, you can get the Manual before going all the way down to the level in the Collections with the Flesh Golums.

Probably it works with a rouge multiclass. Sneak to the child and use conf. blind / hobble strike etc. on it. Wear nemnok's cloak or have a priest cast barring's death door on you, so you can not die. I hope the summoned friends despawn after the kid is dead.

My mechanics was at 20 but I got the wound every single time I reached into the machine, after passing the visible mechanics check.

Huh, weird. I did this part before going to the stacks, and I don’t recall getting a wound. (Though I wasn’t doing a no-rest run or anything, so I just might not have noticed because it wasn’t a big deal.)

I was definitely able to make the flesh constructs friendly before going into the stacks, though.

• 1 year later...
On 12/26/2018 at 2:02 PM, whimper said:

Huh, weird. I did this part before going to the stacks, and I don’t recall getting a wound. (Though I wasn’t doing a no-rest run or anything, so I just might not have noticed because it wasn’t a big deal.)

I was definitely able to make the flesh constructs friendly before going into the stacks, though.

You need to have benevolent disposition to avoid beeing wounded i should think (i saw a check while i was 'inside'), and be sweet, if you hear what Fassina is telling you "it is like bringing milk from a cow, be gently " or something like that, this machine is semi sentient, it is a pet...
To put a bomb inside you need 18 alchemy (insane) and may some other check (never tried, never had 18 alchemy), the two time i done this mission (benevolent maxed) i got no problem to "charm" the flesh construct...

Edited by fced

Pillars of Eternity PS4 - RPG fan - Native language French, so please forgive my poor English speaking ...