Hello my friends  :dancing:

I want to make solid sword and shield warrior that tank and can do a good amount of damge to.

I tought about Goldpact Knight / Devoted .

Goldpact Knight for +3 armor and devoted for + penetration..

About items i thought:

shield - Nerian's Ward to get demage reduction (i dont want large shield because i need acc).

sword - Gladiator sword or Modwyr (Modwyr  can be nice because dmg go to elements fire / freeze).

Now i need advices about the combat (any combo ? ) and about all other items and stats..

Its important that the shield  and sword will not changed..

I tought about 1h sword = more %crit chance, so maybe unique items that make AoE dmg on crit or somthing with crit dmg.. ?

*The build need to surive solo PoTD.

Please your help :dancing:

Hi friend,

That's a pretty decent build and very good choice for defense / offense.  

Since you're doing PoTD you might want a little more diversity with what weapons you choose.  I would recommend going with Unbroken instead of Devoted.  There are some opponents that might take little or no damage from swords (like Iron Constructs) and since you're playing Solo, those will take a long time to go down.  Unbroken makes you a little harder to hit (which is a good thing, really, for PoTD).

I'd also use the Cadhu Scalth Large Shield and max Metaphysics to get the highest damage reduction possible from all sources, max Athletics to get highest deflection possible).  The benefit you get from Cadhu Scalth far outweighs the -8 Accuracy from using Large Shield.  Modwyr definitely is the best sword for a sword/shield build.  If you go Unbroken you can also use Sabres like Aldris Blade that gives you 10 health if you crit on hit.  I did some testing and Aldris Blade is better because you'll survive longer.  Grave Calling isn't bad either, and in my testing it does higher damage across the board as long as you're not fighting against cold/freeze immune.

For the rest of your items you need the best of the best.  I'll post my set up later when I get home but the most important to wear are items that:

1.  Give you the highest damage reduction (crit damage included), defense possible,
2.  Protection / resistance from as many afflictions as possible,
3.  Regen
4.. Stride / Flanking
5.  Health / Constitution

The great thing about Goldpact / Unbroken build is that when you get to level 15 onwards with the best gear in game you'll have almost all your defense stats higher than 120 which makes you almost impossible to hit.

In Combat, you'll want to place the Brand Enemy ability right at the start of the fight to add to the overall damage you do.  Since it's a build that you basically almost never get hit there's little to do except make sure to trigger Lay on Hands when your health is critically low.  I just spam Eternal Devotion the rest of the fight to kill enemies faster.  I take the mob stance and Exalted Endurance to survive longer.

Hope this helps and good luck.

• Like 1

Great feedback.  While Unbroken comes with +1 armor, it's engagement bonus probably isn't that useful solo, nor its +10 acc on disengagement attacks?  Plus you get a -15 reflex penalty?  Wouldn't the extra Pen from Devoted be more in line with solo POTD (and if I'm not mistaken, Devoted can use Unarmed without penalty for crush damage etc.). 

There was some good discussion of solo POTD with Goldpact/* in this thread:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/105898-class-build-bloodsail-the-pirate-paladin/?hl=bloodsail

However it's a little out of date, hopefully someone will update.

@brasilgringo

My thoughts on whether to go with Unbroken vs Devoted boils down to playing style.  I totally dislike very micro-management style of fighting so higher defense works better for me.  

But on one hand being able to kill faster in PoTD might be the better way to go.  I just don't like getting tied down to one weapon and getting penalized using others throughout the game.

Maybe no subclass for fighter might actually be better to avoid the pros and cons of sub-classing altogether.

If you want tanky AND decent damage, you'd be better of with a Paladin OR Fighter combo with Trickster. Rogue adds a lot of damage and the Trickster abilities increase your defenses a lot as well. With Permanent Distraction you get free sneak-attacks all day long. Fighter/Paladin is durability focused overkill IMO.

Edited by Haplok