Sign in to follow this  
David13

The future of Pillars of Eternity and Tyranny

I hope they are able to make another Pillars of Eternity game in the future as I absolutely love the series even though I completely missed the crowdfunding efforts for both games. But Obsidian has got the legacy of Infinity Engine games just right with PoE and Deadfire. PoE was absolutely great and Deadfire eventually upgraded it although getting into the Pirate setting took quite a while.

But for the 3rd game I'd absolutely love it if it would be set in the Northern (?) icy regions of Eora, or in the area where the Pale Elves live. Thematically the game could be compared to Black Isle's Icewind Dale and IWD2, but with Obsidian's touch, of course. It's more actual now than ever as I just learned that it's "impossible" for Beamdog to remaster IWD2 as it's source code is lost.

Obsidian certainly has interest in IWD like setting as both PoE titles have had an expansion set in the icy regions. I bet there can be a lot more stories to tell in that setting. Also Rymrgrand has to be the most interesting Eoran God definitely. (Not played Beast of Winter yet, but will in the following days).

For example Rymrgrand could become corrupted or just mad and force the Native Pale Elves in the region go on a rampage or invade another area in the north. Then it would be up to the Watcher and his party to fix the situation once again. There could be a new NPC companion, a Pale Elf who is only half mad from Rymrgrand's corruption, the developers could have such great dialogue options with this kind of character. If player character would be a Pale Elf it wouldn't become corrupted as having been out of Rymrgrand's reach for a long time.

There could be a major city within a mountain, an underground area, land based exploration like in Deadfire but instead of a ship you'd have to upkeep your caravan of several vehicles to survive in the harsh environments. For a DLC expansion they could have it set in a completely different regions, which would be a real twist from the usual expansion set in the north.

Another setting would be Old Vailia, but would be difficult to make it work with current characters and importing save states from previous games. It would have to be a prequel, but it also has a huge opportunity to go full on Tyranny with the game with tons of dialogue and politics and intertwining storylines

I woudn't mind seeing an interlude release; something off the main plot line but related to a future third game in the series. That would give them more freedom to explore new directions.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Didn't Feargus state that he wanted to make a Skyrim-like Pillars game sometime in the future. With Microsoft's money, that's definitely a possibility. Heck since they're releasing Outer Worlds before Bethesda's Starfield, they might as well release a Skyrim-like Pillars game before the release of Elder Scrolls 6

I thoroughly enjoyed both PoE and Deadfire. I certainly hope we haven't seen the last of that IP. It was a RPG for RPG fans. A love letter to days and games gone by. Even if something like that does not have a future it was well worth the time and money spent. 

• Like 5

"I care nothing for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it"

Abraham Lincoln

Pillars in Space or bust tbh

• Like 1

"Take your child murderin' god and shove his him up his own ass."-Volorun

"...the vote of a black redhead disabled homosexual transsexual Jew should probably be worth the same as at least a hundred white heterosexual Christians."-Rostere

"i can think of many women i would gladly sleep with, but not a single one that i would want as a girlfriend/wife... neither real nor fictional."-teknoman2

"I'm all for killing dogs in film." - algroth

"Iselmyr is the one who did GOMAD... Aloth is lactose intolerant" -ShadySands

On 7/23/2019 at 9:24 AM, BrokenMask said:

Skyrim like Pillars game wouldn't be a Pillars game though, it'd be Elder Scroll game <_<

“Like Skyrim” might mean anything: possibly just moving away from top down, to FP open (or openish) world. Witcher, Gothic, Deus Ex might be to some extend described “like Skyrim”, whole not being “like Skyrim” at all. 

I would like for them to wrap up current storyline in a classic isometric/top down format before branching out. My attachment to PoEs comes from them being great isometric RPGs. If Obsidian makes a different genre game in PoE world, my interest in it will be more due to it being an Obsidian game, rather then a PoE game. 

h1dczBG.jpg

I really want a PoE 3 to finish the Watcher saga... (On Aedyr please!)

• Like 1

Currently Playing

• Pillars of Eternity
  • Morrowind
  • Stardew Valley

Future Play

• Deadfire
  • Oblivion
  • The Witcher

really having while playing the game but im a little stucked in something but trying to getaway