The future of Pillars of Eternity and Tyranny

I hope they are able to make another Pillars of Eternity game in the future as I absolutely love the series even though I completely missed the crowdfunding efforts for both games. But Obsidian has got the legacy of Infinity Engine games just right with PoE and Deadfire. PoE was absolutely great and Deadfire eventually upgraded it although getting into the Pirate setting took quite a while.

But for the 3rd game I'd absolutely love it if it would be set in the Northern (?) icy regions of Eora, or in the area where the Pale Elves live. Thematically the game could be compared to Black Isle's Icewind Dale and IWD2, but with Obsidian's touch, of course. It's more actual now than ever as I just learned that it's "impossible" for Beamdog to remaster IWD2 as it's source code is lost.

Obsidian certainly has interest in IWD like setting as both PoE titles have had an expansion set in the icy regions. I bet there can be a lot more stories to tell in that setting. Also Rymrgrand has to be the most interesting Eoran God definitely. (Not played Beast of Winter yet, but will in the following days).

For example Rymrgrand could become corrupted or just mad and force the Native Pale Elves in the region go on a rampage or invade another area in the north. Then it would be up to the Watcher and his party to fix the situation once again. There could be a new NPC companion, a Pale Elf who is only half mad from Rymrgrand's corruption, the developers could have such great dialogue options with this kind of character. If player character would be a Pale Elf it wouldn't become corrupted as having been out of Rymrgrand's reach for a long time.

There could be a major city within a mountain, an underground area, land based exploration like in Deadfire but instead of a ship you'd have to upkeep your caravan of several vehicles to survive in the harsh environments. For a DLC expansion they could have it set in a completely different regions, which would be a real twist from the usual expansion set in the north.

Another setting would be Old Vailia, but would be difficult to make it work with current characters and importing save states from previous games. It would have to be a prequel, but it also has a huge opportunity to go full on Tyranny with the game with tons of dialogue and politics and intertwining storylines

• 1 month later...

I woudn't mind seeing an interlude release; something off the main plot line but related to a future third game in the series. That would give them more freedom to explore new directions.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

• 2 months later...

Didn't Feargus state that he wanted to make a Skyrim-like Pillars game sometime in the future. With Microsoft's money, that's definitely a possibility. Heck since they're releasing Outer Worlds before Bethesda's Starfield, they might as well release a Skyrim-like Pillars game before the release of Elder Scrolls 6

I thoroughly enjoyed both PoE and Deadfire. I certainly hope we haven't seen the last of that IP. It was a RPG for RPG fans. A love letter to days and games gone by. Even if something like that does not have a future it was well worth the time and money spent. 

• Like 7

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Pillars in Space or bust tbh

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

On 7/23/2019 at 9:24 AM, BrokenMask said:

Skyrim like Pillars game wouldn't be a Pillars game though, it'd be Elder Scroll game <_<

“Like Skyrim” might mean anything: possibly just moving away from top down, to FP open (or openish) world. Witcher, Gothic, Deus Ex might be to some extend described “like Skyrim”, whole not being “like Skyrim” at all. 

I would like for them to wrap up current storyline in a classic isometric/top down format before branching out. My attachment to PoEs comes from them being great isometric RPGs. If Obsidian makes a different genre game in PoE world, my interest in it will be more due to it being an Obsidian game, rather then a PoE game. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Theonlygarby said:

Personally I'd rather see a first person rpg of tyranny than POE...  Don't get me wrong, I love POE but I feel like Tyranny would be a great fit for first person.   That being said... I know it won't happen.  I can dream.  Can't I?

Not necessarly. Obsidian CEO did express desire in the past for Skyrim style RPG in Eora. That said if PoE3 would continue directly with the story, I would prefer for it to remain within established genre. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Wormerine said:

Not necessarly. Obsidian CEO did express desire in the past for Skyrim style RPG in Eora. That said if PoE3 would continue directly with the story, I would prefer for it to remain within established genre. 

Me too.  I feel like if they go first person with POE that's the end of the isometric POE... Which I don't want.  I suppose they could still do both, just don't see that happening.  

11 hours ago, Theonlygarby said:

Me too.  I feel like if they go first person with POE that's the end of the isometric POE... Which I don't want.  I suppose they could still do both, just don't see that happening.  

Why is first-person the only alternative to isometric? Why not third-person?

1 hour ago, Wormerine said:

Why not indeed. I would take Gothic/Dark Souls PoE over Bethesda-style. 

Also I find melee combat tends to work better in third person. 

Exactly. TOW and CP2070 both look to be amazing games and yet I have to sadly forego playing them because they're in first-person. And it's not even a medical issue for me. Rather, as someone who came to video games late in life and who does not ever play on consoles, first-person is far to jarring and confusing and chaotic and, ultimately, frustrating in the extreme for me. I never know what's happening or what's going on around me, and constantly keep missing stuff. And of course this is all that much more of a problem in combat.

2 hours ago, kanisatha said:

Exactly. TOW and CP2070 both look to be amazing games and yet I have to sadly forego playing them because they're in first-person. And it's not even a medical issue for me. Rather, as someone who came to video games late in life and who does not ever play on consoles, first-person is far to jarring and confusing and chaotic and, ultimately, frustrating in the extreme for me. 

That said shooters work better in FPS 😁. And it definitely works better with mouse and keyboard then a controller.

Might be missing the point, but did you try increasing FoV? If I run a game with smaller FoV then 90, I find confusing, when I move my mouse too aggresively. 

8 hours ago, kanisatha said:

Why is first-person the only alternative to isometric? Why not third-person?

Third person would be cool.  I more so meant not isometric than specifically first person.  If they did pillars like dragon age where you can change the camera view between third and isometric id still count that as an isometric game(or at least a good compromise).  But if it's a game that is just third person then the difference between that and first person is quite small.

Edited by Theonlygarby

An RPG game which is focused on character creation, armor and weapons look great in 3rd person playstyle prospective. It didn't that mean 1st person doesn't look good but if they can provide both 1st and 3rd person camera like Red Dead Redemption 2 then the gameplay will suit huge number of players.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Wormerine said:

That said shooters work better in FPS 😁. And it definitely works better with mouse and keyboard then a controller.

Might be missing the point, but did you try increasing FoV? If I run a game with smaller FoV then 90, I find confusing, when I move my mouse too aggresively. 

Yes increasing fov helps a little bit but ultimately not enough to make it possible for me to get through the game.

Also, totally agree that first-person is appropriate for shooters, especially since I don't care for shooter games anyway so it won't affect me. I just wish developers would do a more faithful job of separating shooters from RPGs. :)

2 hours ago, Zafar1981 said:

It didn't that mean 1st person doesn't look good but if they can provide both 1st and 3rd person camera like Red Dead Redemption 2 then the gameplay will suit huge number of players.   

Give more studios budget of Red Dead Redemption 2 and they just might 😁 Or they will make horse's balls shrink. 

• Like 1

On 10/31/2019 at 11:57 AM, Wormerine said:

Give more studios budget of Red Dead Redemption 2 and they just might 😁 Or they will make horse's balls shrink. 

I give the reference for RDR2 as its a great game else horse shi* game Fallout 4 & 76 also have same feature.  

On 10/30/2019 at 10:21 PM, Theonlygarby said:

Third person would be cool.  I more so meant not isometric than specifically first person.  If they did pillars like dragon age where you can change the camera view between third and isometric id still count that as an isometric game(or at least a good compromise).  But if it's a game that is just third person then the difference between that and first person is quite small.

Why is everybody talking about FPS, Isometric or Dragon Age?

Why not something like Witcher 3 or NWN 2, or even like original NWN, but with better graphics?

FPS wouldn't work in this kind of game, you will need to see range of spells and stuff. There was FPS mage game called Lichtdome and you couldn't see your spell range because of FPS

Truth to be told, Obsidian maybe made NWN2, but somehow dropped the ball on POE. POE felt too slow because devs don't know that RTwP isn't  faux turn based - it's Real Time *with* pause where you don't press pause every one second. That way of playing is just issue command while paused then let AI partially handle the rest while you control one or multiple characters in *real time*. You're supposed to *let it go* while fighting.

• Haha 1