Gruesomely kill your pets :)

So, this was another disappointment. I thought I would be granted the ability to mix and match pet bonuses but it's just cosmetic, so much for that optimism...

All your complaints make it sound as if you really want to play another game.

Mostly just wondering what happened with this one. New development team or what?

No. And it's neither half nor even a quarter as bad as you claim it to be. PoE had a lot more severe bugs in its early days. And even today there are several things that are left unfixed.

But in every one of your posts about Deadfire you not only point out flaws (which is fine and might be helpful) you also always add a personal spike as if the game itself did hurt your feelings by being different than you expected it to be.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

No. And it's neither half nor even a quarter as bad as you claim it to be. PoE had a lot more severe bugs in its early days. And even today there are several things that are left unfixed.

To wit, I'm just still reflecting how if I go back to PoE1 i have to be very judicious about using consumables because they might not actually do the action to use consumables (despite appearing in their action tool-tip) or if I'm unlucky I could even end up soft-locking the game.

You mean every time you want to drink a potion you spill it all over your frock coat because of the immense anticipation? #ParkinsonsChallenge ;)

I like how my chanter in PoE sings his chants with only one hand and thus gets +12 ACC.

• Like 1

But in every one of your posts about Deadfire you not only point out flaws (which is fine and might be helpful) you also always add a personal spike as if the game itself did hurt your feelings by being different than you expected it to be.

Okay, I'll offer you an explanation.

To me, the first game in any series sets the standard, short of PIRATING the game (was there any demo offered on Steam? Nope.) I have to buy-in to experience anything. Yes, steam has a refund policy, but that goes out the window within 2 hours I believe. I probably spent that time in character creation preparing my solo run due to the game changes alone, nothing out of the ordinary.

I notice things big and small compared to the first game, and I will always compare to the first game as this is now a series and series builds off of the first. From the overuse of the same dialogue portaits for minor npcs to the dialogue where I'm thrust into a conversation with no context and the only responses I get to choose from are ones where it's assumed I have any idea what's going on. (example: Emeini and the red hot cannonball punishment. Was there supposed to be a cutscene where this happened? I didn't see it, I had to google wtf she was talking about to have any idea, there wasn't an INKLING of a clue as to what she was on about) Holes in the lore, holes in consistency, arbitrary gameplay changes for reasons I wish I knew, it's as though they took everything I used in my POE1 playthrough and weakened it.

I want to like this game and generally I do but I'd like it a whole lot more if I didn't have to constantly fill in their holes with google searches. Seriously, every time I play it's a google search for dialogue that made no sense, google search for game mechanics that are unexplained within the game itself (just yesterday, Spell shaping; how does it work? what effect does it have? Oh, it augments power level, okay, what effect does power level have on each spell? Damage? Penetration? New effect? Specifically WHAT? NONE of this information is in-game. Honestly how am I to make an informed decision about my character's progression?)

Maybe you're thinking to yourself, hey a lot of what he's complaining about is nit-picky, the developers clearly didn't do that for that one thing because it's not worth the time. Even when those little things break immersion, that, my friend is the degradation of game quality, if the excuse is just then "Ah, screw it, not that important." I also see the AGE of a lot of these bugs dating back to MAY and they are still unresolved, so yeah, there are plenty of things that make it difficult to be content with this time. Especially when I lot of what I see is due to sloppy workmanship and apparent rushing. Silly things that could and should have been fixed by now.

Also, yeah I remember the potion thing from POE1 and spam clicking it to make it work, no game is perfect but I certainly don't remember having this many issues in the first game, even if I ignored the gameplay changes. The typos, lore, dialogue context, broken dialogue 'trees?', recycled portraits, lack of transparency with tool-tips and descriptions for abilities. The last one a problem that has remained since

4kuZ2Mc.png

This was from their FIG campaign, if that doesn't speak of an emphasis and importance on immersion, I dont know what does.

Or is it okay that they do this because they were campaigning for money and then leave us with what we have? Do I expect too much? Admittedly I did my POE1 full playthrough towards the end of it's development life where things were as nice as they were going to be. I knew first hand buying POE2 without waiting many years could yield problems for me but I was excited to play, steam had their lunar new year sale so I just did it.

Edited by DiabloStorm
  • Like 1

To me, the first game in any series sets the standard, short of PIRATING the game (was there any demo offered on Steam? Nope.) I have to buy-in to experience anything. Yes, steam has a refund policy, but that goes out the window within 2 hours I believe. I probably spent that time in character creation preparing my solo run due to the game changes alone, nothing out of the ordinary.

I notice things big and small compared to the first game, and I will always compare to the first game as this is now a series and series builds off of the first. From the overuse of the same dialogue portaits for minor npcs to the dialogue where I'm thrust into a conversation with no context and the only responses I get to choose from are ones where it's assumed I have any idea what's going on. (example: Emeini and the red hot cannonball punishment. Was there supposed to be a cutscene where this happened? I didn't see it, I had to google wtf she was talking about to have any idea, there wasn't an INKLING of a clue as to what she was on about) Holes in the lore, holes in consistency, arbitrary gameplay changes for reasons I wish I knew, it's as though they took everything I used in my POE1 playthrough and weakened it.

I want to like this game and generally I do but I'd like it a whole lot more if I didn't have to constantly fill in their holes with google searches. Seriously, every time I play it's a google search for dialogue that made no sense, google search for game mechanics that are unexplained within the game itself (just yesterday, Spell shaping; how does it work? what effect does it have? Oh, it augments power level, okay, what effect does power level have on each spell? Damage? Penetration? New effect? Specifically WHAT? NONE of this information is in-game. Honestly how am I to make an informed decision about my character's progression?)

Maybe you're thinking to yourself, hey a lot of what he's complaining about is nit-picky, the developers clearly didn't do that for that one thing because it's not worth the time. Even when those little things break immersion, that, my friend is the degradation of game quality, if the excuse is just then "Ah, screw it, not that important." I also see the AGE of a lot of these bugs dating back to MAY and they are still unresolved, so yeah, there are plenty of things that make it difficult to be content with this time. Especially when I lot of what I see is due to sloppy workmanship and apparent rushing. Silly things that could and should have been fixed by now.

Also, yeah I remember the potion thing from POE1 and spam clicking it to make it work, no game is perfect but I certainly don't remember having this many issues in the first game, even if I ignored the gameplay changes. The typos, lore, dialogue context, broken dialogue 'trees?', recycled portraits, lack of transparency with tool-tips and descriptions for abilities. The last one a problem that has remained since

[snipped image]

Or is it okay that they do this because they were campaigning for money and then leave us with what we have? Do I expect too much? Admittedly I did my POE1 full playthrough towards the end of it's development life where things were as nice as they were going to be. I knew first hand buying POE2 without waiting many years could yield problems for me but I was excited to play, steam had their lunar new year sale so I just did it.

I don't need an explanation why you add sarcastic and petty comments about Deadfire to all your recent posts. I just want you to stop it. :)

It's totally fine with me to point out bugs and show/discuss about flaws and what could have been better. There are def. still a lot of things that can be improved. But those 5-year-old-is-frustrated-because-mommy-bought-him-a-cherry-popsickle-instead-of-a-strawberry-one vibes won't really help to sell the point.

• Like 3

[snipped image]

I don't need an explanation why you add sarcastic and petty comments about Deadfire to all your recent posts. I just want you to stop it. :)

It's totally fine with me to point out bugs and show/discuss about flaws and what could have been better. There are def. still a lot of things that can be improved. But those 5-year-old-is-frustrated-because-mommy-bought-him-a-cherry-popsickle-instead-of-a-strawberry-one vibes won't really help to sell the point.

Perhaps, but I think valid points are going to remain valid no matter what.

Yes, sure. But if people dislike the guy who makes the points because of his douchebaggery the chances that his opinion gets respected, his points get heared and his reasoning is considered will drop significantly.

Yes, sure. But if people dislike the guy who makes the points because of his douchebaggery the chances that his opinion gets respected, his points get heared and his reasoning is considered will drop significantly.

At the expense of everybody else who bought and wants to enjoy this game? I think that would be a fatal mistake on Obsidian's part then, to get caught up in my sassy commentary and overlook the real issues I brought forth.

You get a like for your reasoned argumentation for not liking certain parts of the game.  Only a cat person writes like that. 

Now unlearn everything from POE1 and start enjoying Deadfire! That's an order! The game is not perfect, but it is great. Be a dog person!

• Like 1

Nerf Troubadour!

• 6 months later...