I was just messing around....trying out a Devoted/Bloodmage Battlemage as a Mountain Dwarf...with high Intellect, high Might, Constitution and Intellect you can reuse spells fairly frequently and with Fleet Feet you can compensate for the average Dexterity. I admit I have not done much beyond the first island but it does seem promising; High Intellect+Infuse With Vital Essence+High Might, Highish Constitution+Constant Recovery allows you to use Blood Sacrifice fairly often and regain spells quickly. Any thoughts on this combo?

Concelhaut spells (and unique grimoire) are your friends. Anything that restore health (corrosive siphon & draining magic missile).

Blood sacrifice have a random element. The level of spell restored depend of the dmg. You're sure to restore a low level spell (1-3 I think, not sure about the numbers) but it's more hazardous for late spells. Need more testing, but you should be able to use more low level spells, have a wider range of low level spells to use.

Depends on what you're looking to optimize.  If you want to create a self sufficient perpetual spell casting machine I think that Arcane Knight (Paladin/Wizard) is a better option for the following reasons:

• Constant Recovery is 1/encounter with a set duration.  Exalted Endurance lasts as long as the aura is active.
  • LoH is a 1 Zeal heal and you're already maxing Int.
  • Woedican Paladin can heal off of inflicted targets.  Wizard can set those up easily.
  • Goldpact gives more armor if you want something more frontline.

But again, it depends on what you want to optimize and what kind of RP feel you want (if any).

Depends on what you're looking to optimize.  If you want to create a self sufficient perpetual spell casting machine I think that Arcane Knight (Paladin/Wizard) is a better option for the following reasons:

• Constant Recovery is 1/encounter with a set duration.  Exalted Endurance lasts as long as the aura is active.
  • Woedican Paladin can heal off of inflicted targets.  Wizard can set those up easily.
But again, it depends on what you want to optimize and what kind of RP feel you want (if any).

I totally forgot about that. Duh. Thanks!

I was underwhelmed by the heals coming off Steel Garrote Paladin ability on PoTD once I got outside Port Maje ... running around at level 20 smacking things, I was getting very low heals from afflicted targets.  My might was only around 10-12 I think, which maybe is affecting it, but it was majorly underwhelming on PoTD on an Arcane Knight with spirit lance.  Made me think Steel Garrote wasn't worth it.  A Fighter with Refreshing Defense and Unbending (and Constant Recovery) might be better?

Edited by brasilgringo

I was underwhelmed by the heals coming off Steel Garrote Paladin ability on PoTD once I got outside Port Maje ... running around at level 20 smacking things, I was getting very low heals from afflicted targets.  My might was only around 10-12 I think, which maybe is affecting it, but it was majorly underwhelming on PoTD on an Arcane Knight with spirit lance.  Made me think Steel Garrote wasn't worth it.  A Fighter with Refreshing Defense and Unbending (and Constant Recovery) might be better?

Lay on Hands seems a much better way of keep HP up with the Blood Mage tbqh but I too lean heavily towards a beefy Devoted/Bloodmage to help deal with some of the issues.

LoH is one of the most efficient heals in the game.  Unbending and Constant Recovery don't even come close.  Also remember Paladin has a 3 per 3 second heal aura which costs zero resources.  On top the the fact that Deep Faith also requires zero resources.  

I think Fighter is a solid class, but it's hard to beat Paladin if you just want to optimize your casts.

Edited by guildwriter

From what testing I've done on them, Concelhaut's spells generally have pretty bad efficiency on heal rate.  Unsure on draining missiles and if they're a 1:1 or if like draining touch it's a percentage (20% of damage).  If the latter I would hardly call that a reliable source that would replenish more than you potentially end up losing.

If you can rely on a secondary source of healing and want to stay caster focused, Helwalker is the superior option.