New new Obsidian game, what is it?

Wormerine

He posted two tweets about it. Wouldn't insist that this means he played it a lot.

But it can be a hint that he's doing some "research". ;)

If only the next pillars game would be classless. Archetypes (predefined set that you might alter) are ok though.

Also: I liked Skyrim. It depends a lot how you play it. Josh plays it the stealthy assassin way as far as I could see. Exactly why I liked my Skyrim. It was like Thief + Oblivion. ;)

My preference would be isometric party-based CRPGs, but I have played Elder Scrolls games since Daggerfall, and I was really blown away at the scope of everything, the weather effects, etc. It's very relaxing. And yep, I play Skyrim just like Sawyer and Boeroer, and I really like it. It's relaxing. In one later playthrough of mine, I did it all over with a Dishonored powers mod installed. Great times!

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

BG3 is all that we really care about! Admit it, 'tis true, deep down in your heart, there's this yearning… :p

There actually isn’t. Like not even the little. We have isometrics to choose from for now, and phrase “Baldur’s Gate3” worries me. I got over it and got re-married couple times already. Not you are claiming to resurrect my first wife, but she is also not my first, and expect me to be excited about it. 18 years ago I would. Now I sit with a shotgun on my porch and suspiciously watch what this abomination will do.

One second thought, this analogy doesn’t really work.

For some morbid Ravenloft-y reason, I really think it works drowned-zombie-revenant swimmingly.

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

• 2 weeks later...

I think this is ABSOLUTELY the perfect time to develop a Pillars of Eternity ARPG. They're already releasing their own Science-fiction RPG (Outer Worlds) before Bethesda's own Starfield. They might pull the same stunt by releasing their own Pillars ARPG before Elder Scrolls 6 :p

If this happens then it'll definitely bring in more competition between the two developers for creating the better game. I can only see good things coming out of this!

Edited by Sanjid099
  • Like 1

I think this is ABSOLUTELY the perfect time to develop a Pillars of Eternity ARPG. They're already releasing their own Science-fiction RPG (Outer Worlds) before Bethesda's own Starfield. They might pull the same stunt by releasing their own Pillars ARPG before Elder Scrolls 6 :p

If this happens then it'll definitely bring in more competition between the two developers for creating the better game. I can only see good things coming out of this!

I still maintain they should follow through with a proper Pillars 3. Especially while they have the momentum. An open-world arpg is certainly the best step for the IP afterwards.

• Like 4

I'll tell you what it isn't... It isn't good.

That's rather rude.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

BG3 is all that we really care about! Admit it, 'tis true, deep down in your heart, there's this yearning… :p

Give over. The Baldur's Gate story is DONE! No more, i don't trust Beamdog, Bioware or Obsidian to make it anyway.

A new RPG in the forgotten realms not called Baldur's Gate however... Let's see Waterdeep, or Thay or something. KARA TUR

• Like 6

nowt

@daven That would be so fab! And my tongue-in-cheek jab aside, I actually meant that more in the vein of your suggestion: a big and exciting Forgotten Realms campaign to play over and over, hopefully.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Not the secret project most likely but I do hope that Obsidian has a bag of dream projects they want to do and now that they have the resources of Microsoft, they actually get to make one of those happen. Would be pretty amazing to see. 

• Like 1

I'm convinced it is Sawyer's project, because I can't see Sawyer staying with Obsidian if they don't do right by him.

Also, just my $0.02, but I don't think there will ever be a PoE3. Sorry. I think there will certainly be a game set in the Pillars setting, but it won't be called PoE. It will be a big-budget AAA open world third-person ARPG.

Someone on Codex said that Sawyer has been playing a lot of Skyrim lately. Research or just good/bad taste in games?

I hope its research on what NOT to do in an open world RPG. The draw of games like Oblivion and Skyrim is, for some reason which I don't understand, their 'exploration' potential. I've never cared for exploring in video games, at least not as a main activity and honestly there is nothing really to explore in those games anyway. Its all just the same dungeon copied and rearranged into different shapes.