New new Obsidian game, what is it?

Wormerine

We know more about Obsidian secret project.

However, there is a new secret project in works according to gamespot. 

https://youtu.be/58qKmxO_YfQ?t=1225

when I was walking around their [Obsidian's] studio they did say that they were working on another project. They were, I think, pulling the lead programer out of this [Outer Worlds] to go work on their new project.

What could it possibly be? First Obsidian game under Microsoft banner? 

Edited by Wormerine
  • Like 1

Chris Avellone said that Chris Parker wants to make a Skyrim of his own. (Most likely would be set in Eora)

Sawyer wants to make his medieval/tactical RPG. Could be set in Eora as well if they choose not go with "full medieval" setting.
There's also that ½ of a project that Feargus mentioned in the interviews earlier this year / last year that could have secured some interest from a publisher before the MS deal.

Probably way too soon for Pillars of Eternity 3 to hit production.

• Haha 1

Hate the living, love the dead.

I'm convinced it is Sawyer's project, because I can't see Sawyer staying with Obsidian if they don't do right by him.

Also, just my $0.02, but I don't think there will ever be a PoE3. Sorry. I think there will certainly be a game set in the Pillars setting, but it won't be called PoE. It will be a big-budget AAA open world third-person ARPG.

• Like 2

I think there could be a Pillars 3, but I think it's not Microsoft's priority. It would be a feather in their Windows Exclusives Library of games possibly. Eora could also serve as the basis for Obsidian's own take on TES. If only PoE3 was made, I could imagine that getting greenlighted as a sort of goodwill. If a larger scale game would be made, I'd expect acquiring Dark Rock LLC was maybe part of the acquisition but It wasn't.

Which means I lean towards thinking that out of Obsidian's current IP portfolio (add Dark Rock), that they'd plan on cultivating The Outer Worlds. (Hell TOW2 was already referenced in context of there being enough the team wants to do that constraints will probably prohibit them from touching on the first entry.) Whatever is made for Microsoft is most certainly a new IP. Is it Josh's? Not necessarily, I think he was looking for a slight break after PoE1&2. I'd imagine Sawyer's historic rpg being at least the second project that Microsoft greenlights, but if nobody else has as fully formed of an idea as Sawyer than yeah maybe that will be the next project.

• Like 3

I'm convinced it is Sawyer's project, because I can't see Sawyer staying with Obsidian if they don't do right by him.

Also, just my $0.02, but I don't think there will ever be a PoE3. Sorry. I think there will certainly be a game set in the Pillars setting, but it won't be called PoE. It will be a big-budget AAA open world third-person ARPG.

Someone on Codex said that Sawyer has been playing a lot of Skyrim lately. Research or just good/bad taste in games?

• Like 4

Hate the living, love the dead.

He posted two tweets about it. Wouldn't insist that this means he played it a lot.

But it can be a hint that he's doing some "research". ;)

If only the next pillars game would be classless. Archetypes (predefined set that you might alter) are ok though.

Also: I liked Skyrim. It depends a lot how you play it. Josh plays it the stealthy assassin way as far as I could see. Exactly why I liked my Skyrim. It was like Thief + Oblivion. ;)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 3

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

He posted two tweets about it. Wouldn't insist that this means he played it a lot.

But it can be a hint that he's doing some "research". ;)

If only the next pillars game would be classless. Archetypes (predefined set that you might alter) are ok though.

Also: I liked Skyrim. It depends a lot how you play it. Josh plays it the stealthy assassin way as far as I could see. Exactly why I liked my Skyrim. It was like Thief + Oblivion. ;)

I didn't care for Skyrim and could not finish the game. But I very much understand why many people love that game and I appreciate their reasons for loving it.

Not being party-based and being first-person are THE game interest killers for me.

It usually isn't my cup of tea either - but the immersion with Skyrim, playing a sneaky char, was so strong (played it on a big screen on the PlayStation) that it was giving me heart attacks on a regular basis. ;)

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

It usually isn't my cup of tea either - but the immersion with Skyrim, playing a sneaky char, was so strong (played it on a big screen on the PlayStation) that it was giving me heart attacks on a regular basis. ;)

Very interesting. This kind of information always fascinates me as a behavioral scientist. For me it is precisely first-person that severely breaks immersion (it is very jarring and unnatural to me) and isometric that keeps me immersed and engaged.

To @Wormerine's OP, it's great that we now have confirmation of the next new game project from all four RPG studios I keep close track of:

Obsidian

Now - The Outer Worlds

Next - confirmed new project; RPG?, new IP?

inXile

Now - Wasteland 3

Next - confirmed new RPG project with a new IP (recent Brian Fargo interviews)

Larian

Now - D:OS2

Next - Project Gustav RPG using a licensed IP

CDPR

Now - Cyberpunk 2077

Next - confirmed new RPG project not from The Witcher franchise

Larian's game should be the first of these to be revealed; Obsidian's the last since they've just revealed TOW.

• Like 2

I keep hearing this other CDPR rpg that isn't a Witcher game. I'm not sure I've seen any proof of that. I do know they mentioned they'd like to continue the franchise and explore someone other than Geralt.

I look forward to what InXile has cooking as well.

I keep hearing this other CDPR rpg that isn't a Witcher game. I'm not sure I've seen any proof of that. I do know they mentioned they'd like to continue the franchise and explore someone other than Geralt.

It is mentioned (and subsequently covered in some online stories) in CDPR's corporate filings: two big RPGs to be released between 2017 and 2021. the first we know is Cyberpunk. The second, CDPR has commented it is not a Witcher game and that's all they will say about it.

It is mentioned (and subsequently covered in some online stories) in CDPR's corporate filings: two big RPGs to be released between 2017 and 2021. the first we know is Cyberpunk. The second, CDPR has commented it is not a Witcher game and that's all they will say about it.

I know about the 2019 and 2021 release windows that they keep talking about in investor meetings. I just hear a lot of ad-hoc rumors about a new IP when the only thing I've heard from the mouths of the developers is that they want to do more Witcher just without Geralt.

BG3 is all that we really care about! Admit it, 'tis true, deep down in your heart, there's this yearning… :p

There actually isn’t. Like not even the little. We have isometrics to choose from for now, and phrase “Baldur’s Gate3” worries me. I got over it and got re-married couple times already. Not you are claiming to resurrect my first wife, but she is also not my first, and expect me to be excited about it. 18 years ago I would. Now I sit with a shotgun on my porch and suspiciously watch what this abomination will do.

One second thought, this analogy doesn’t really work.

• Like 6

BG3 is all that we really care about! Admit it, 'tis true, deep down in your heart, there's this yearning… :p

There actually isn’t. Like not even the little. We have isometrics to choose from for now, and phrase “Baldur’s Gate3” worries me. I got over it and got re-married couple times already. Not you are claiming to resurrect my first wife, but she is also not my first, and expect me to be excited about it. 18 years ago I would. Now I sit with a shotgun on my porch and suspiciously watch what this abomination will do.

One second thought, this analogy doesn’t really work.

I agree with this and actually think the "produce" that Beamdog is churning out like the "enhanced" editions and Siege of Dragonspear are actually stifling the genre. Baldur's Gate is finished, it was completed, let it lie. There are other games now, and if the genre is to survive and grow we need to be nurturing them instead.

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams