Will this game atone for Pillars of Eternity?

Just because someone doesn't like Pillars does not mean the game devs have anything to atone for, sorry, it's a bit egotistical to think so.

You forget what forum you are on if you think 'egotistical' is a bad thing.

And you are unfamiliar with forums if you think this one is the only one with that problem.

I have been away from forums for a long time, I had forgotten about the behaviour of silly children who think the world revolves around them.

What's REALLY worse? Someone making a thread asking if a game will atone for another by the same dev, or a group of people trying to make the op of a thread seem somehow delusional in a somewhat obsessive fashion?

Why not just respect the OP and answer his question as if you were disappointed with Pillars? Even if you're not disappointed with Pillars, it would make much more sense to try to look at this through his eyes, rather than run him off the forums for merely nothing but then, that seems to be common in gaming forums as well.

If members do not see something they like, circle up and crucify the said offensive poster and his posts! Burn him to the stake now, come on you lasses, do something useful with your lives for once!!!

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

What's REALLY worse? Someone making a thread asking if a game will atone for another by the same dev, or a group of people trying to make the op of a thread seem somehow delusional in a somewhat obsessive fashion?

Why not just respect the OP and answer his question as if you were disappointed with Pillars? Even if you're not disappointed with Pillars, it would make much more sense to try to look at this through his eyes, rather than run him off the forums for merely nothing but then, that seems to be common in gaming forums as well.

If members do not see something they like, circle up and crucify the said offensive poster and his posts! Burn him to the stake now, come on you lasses, do something useful with your lives for once!!!

To be frank I feel some people may have perceived the OP to rather ostentatious and well, that doesn't go over well online. The creation of the topic and vagueness of the post doesn't add much to the credence that OP is being sincere. Speaking for myself I certainly don't feel it's anything other than an opinion I disagree with but because tone can be difficult to tell on the internet I unfortunately don't think the replies in this thread should be all that shocking and people may very well believe that OP is being insincere and perhaps even snobbish.

I most certainly don't mind his opinion even though I disagree with it.

• Like 2

Yes! We have no bananas.

He asked a loaded question and probably shouldn't expect a useful answer from anyone who fundamentally disagrees with the underlying premise IMO.

• Like 1

Yep. I don't think there's any excuse for the community to reply in trolling.

Even if the OP's intent was bait (which it clearly wasn't) members should always keep level head on shoulders - then again, that's why we are not mods.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

I think there is an excuse.

I think that one of the OP's intend was teasing. Even if it wasn't teasing (which it clearly was) it was baiting (which it clearly was). Wait... what?

Now it's opinion vs. opinion.

I win.

Unless you play the "fact" card.

Then I'm facked.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I think that one of the OP's intend was teasing. Even if it wasn't teasing (which it clearly was) it was baiting (which it clearly was). Wait... what?

I win.

Then I'm facked.

No, its not opinion. you just tend to follow me around and use "Unless its fact" on every comment you disagree, nothing wrong with it either :)

OP clearly doesn't like Pillars, him openly stating it doesn't "have to" be negative, only those who enjoyed it will translate it as such. As another member said, text is easily misunderstood but in top of that we have members ego's and e-drama to throw into the mix. This is nothing new on forums, it us after all, the Internet hehe

Most of all, even if members thought it was "bait", you'd figure that they'd be smart enough to ignore it instead of making the forum more toxic, but alas, the "evil OP" already won.

Edited by SonicMage117

Threads go off the rails so easily.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Will it atone for your dislike of PoE? No. Does it even need to? Nope. Will it succeed on its own merits? I do hope so. The prospect of a new, unique sci-fi series is exciting news, at least from my knothole.

• Like 3

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I win.

Then I'm facked.

No, its not opinion. you just tend to follow me around and use "Unless its fact" on every comment you disagree, nothing wrong with it either :)

OP clearly doesn't like Pillars, him openly stating it doesn't "have to" be negative, only those who enjoyed it will translate it as such. As another member said, text is easily misunderstood but in top of that we have members ego's and e-drama to throw into the mix. This is nothing new on forums, it us after all, the Internet hehe

Most of all, even if members thought it was "bait", you'd figure that they'd be smart enough to ignore it instead of making the forum more toxic, but alas, the "evil OP" already won.

Yes, I'm fact-stalking you. It's the truth.

But... which truth...?

tenor.gif?itemid=4878626

Don't think OP was evil. Just teasing. Nothing wrong with teasing - just don't whine when you get nudged.

Oh wait - it wasn't the OP who whined...  

• Like 4

It will even atone for people asking provocative questions and then say that they don't want to provoke.

Amen! [since there were several religious incantations earlier...]

Edited by Bandy

I know that feeling all too well. I haven't played an Obsidian game since Fallout: New Vegas. I have no idea what I've been doing on these forums for all these years since!

• Like 1

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Will Anthem atone for the crap that Dragon Age: Origins was? The answer is "Yes."

A few people who have been around a little while (like nearly twenty years) abandoned this forum after New Vegas, came back for PoE and were disappointed by it. Do not intend to rake over those ashes.

Noticed (a) hype train for this game and (b) Microsoft buying Obsidian and thought it was all quite interesting. Interesting enough to pop back in and say hello / check it out. If I unduly moved anyone's cheese by admitting I thought playing PoE was like being water-boarded by Sawyer's paramilitary gaming cadre, then I apologise fulsomely. 

Oh, and no Romances. That made me chuckle.

• Like 6

sonsofgygax.JPG

As hard as it is for some to believe, not everyone who loved Baldurs Gate enjoyed Pillars. It's just the reality of the situation...

Whenever people leave, "trolls" seem to get the blame but sometimes some of the older members can't accept the fact that other Obsidian fans didn't enjoy an Obsidian fan, thus one pushing out the other. Luck of the draw as they say, the forums can be that way.

If I unduly moved anyone's cheese by admitting I thought playing PoE was like being water-boarded by Sawyer's paramilitary gaming cadre, then I apologise fulsomely. 

While I like PoE I appreciate that sharp but delicate sarcasm. ;)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

there were no romance for poe either.  am guessing if tOW is successful, a sequel will introduce romances... 'cause?

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/106894-countdown-shenanigans-on-obsidians-homepage/?p=2118259

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/106894-countdown-shenanigans-on-obsidians-homepage/?p=2119031

actual game announcement has made us no less ambivalent 'bout the title. and for mc, keep in mind cain were involved in developing poe mechanics.  josh did all the talking, so he gets credit and blame, but cain were much involved with combat development and skills and whatnot. at the very least, is unlikely to be loads o' fighting in tunnels in tOW, so such is gonna disappoint mc.

fallout in space as some has reduced sounds like oversimplification, but setting am guessing will be campy, sci fi cyberpunk with a bit o' firefly/cowboy bebop space western influences and mechanics will be actiony, shooter-rpg(ish) with the new brand o' cainism as 'posed to a gurps-inspired kinda system o' fallout. 

guesses. what else do we genuine know

*shrug*  

am thinking mc is gonna need wait a bit 'fore he gets an answer to his comical loaded question.

wb

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

A few people who have been around a little while (like nearly twenty years) abandoned this forum after New Vegas, came back for PoE and were disappointed by it. Do not intend to rake over those ashes.

Noticed (a) hype train for this game and (b) Microsoft buying Obsidian and thought it was all quite interesting. Interesting enough to pop back in and say hello / check it out. If I unduly moved anyone's cheese by admitting I thought playing PoE was like being water-boarded by Sawyer's paramilitary gaming cadre, then I apologise fulsomely. 

I hope us newer generation of Sawyer acolytes don't displease you too much.

• Like 1