So I haven't played this game since around 1.1 or 2.0, and recently decided to give the new content a go.

I'm a fan of monks, and was wondering if anyone has worked out how to make this Forbidden Fist subclass from the 4.0 beta consistently generate wounds?

I'm imagining an item that debuffs you with some kind of inconsequential status every few seconds, but I don't know if anything like that exists.  Otherwise I can see this monk going entire battles without generating 10 wounds.  Ideas?

Forbidden Fist istself puts an afflcition on you that - when it expires, gives you wounds.

Besides that I think Berserker might be a good idea. Although I didn't check if it counts as "affliction wears out" when I end confusion with a switch to Modwyr. But I guess it can work...

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

So I haven't played this game since around 1.1 or 2.0, and recently decided to give the new content a go.

I'm a fan of monks, and was wondering if anyone has worked out how to make this Forbidden Fist subclass from the 4.0 beta consistently generate wounds?

Primarily the curse from the forbidden fisting, I imagine.

Stacking curses will likely add more wounds.

Nerf Troubadour!

Primarily the curse from the forbidden fisting, I imagine.

Stacking curses will likely add more wounds.

The curse also increases the wound cost of forbidden fist, meaning you'll use up any wounds it generates when you use it.

Edited by Climhazzard

Well so far this subclass has by far the worst wound generation of any monk, think I'll give it a pass for now unless someone posts some mindblowing synergy.

Same for me. I find most of obsidian subclass design really subpar. Often the penalty trumps the benefits ten fold.

If modding couky be easier the community probably do a much better job and far more competent

If your focusing on a tanky setup which is supposed to shrug off afflictons asap I think it's a cool subclass.

You can combine it with those BoW-items that give you advantages when afflictions drop as well as the ones that give you bonuses as long as you have them.

With Ring of the Lone Survivor, high RES and Clarity of Agony most affs last 0 secs...

The curse also increases the wound cost of forbidden fist, meaning you'll use up any wounds it generates when you use it.

Yep. The class text specifies it's a balancing act ;-)

I'm going to test when DL drops (I don't do beta), so I can't really say if it "works".

Nerf Troubadour!

• 3 months later...

Bumping this thread now that Forbidden Fist has been buffed/debugged quite a bit.

I think that the main interest of the class is to provide a "free" source of Tier 3 Constitution debuff (which only level 19 Single Class Rangers and Woedica Priest can do conveniently), which is quite nice to improve short CC effects or as an utility agianst self-healing foes. IMHO this is a very nice.
The drawback is that wound generation is going to be unreliable and quite low, so I won't excpect very active builds.

I think FF needs a bit of Resolve or maybe even maxed Resolve (to lower a bit the curse and gain a bit more wounds), not too much Int (for the same reason) which can be a problem since many builds rely on Int.

Various ideas :

- Wound spenders aren't going to be very effective and Duality's Int might be detrimental. Why not going high AR with Iron Wheel ?

- Crucible of suffering can be activated very reliably. It might be a good idea to stack it with paladin's faith. Steel Garrote/Forbiden Fist for tankiness and CC ?
- Beguiler and Rogue could benefit from free debuff too. Beguiler Single Target CC might work well with FF fist affliction extending... Even if FF is a bit redundant with Toxic Strike, extending its duration might worths it.

Other ideas ?

I've been running a single class Forbidden Fist, built for max deflection (Tuotilo's Palm). He is ridiculously good. Resolve as high as it goes, then PER, then DEX. Both the tankiest and the highest DPS (by far, at level 20) in my team.

Wound generation has never been a problem in the playthrough, ever. High deflection + other defenses means that Enduring Dance is very hard to remove. There are also enemies that give you short-duration hostile effects more often than you think. I remember I solo'd a room of spores at an early level because each of their attacks gives a short burn that restores health + gives wounds (The health restoration is more clutch than you might think) and Charmed was actually beneficial without any teammates.

With Imagined Pain at level 20 he goes from "wound generation isn't a problem" to "more wounds than I know what to do with". Then you just spam Whispers of the Wind til everything dies.

This guy just does not die (almost nothing can hit him and he has Iron Wheel on top), and deletes everything around him. The Forbidden Fist ability is fantastic. He can stun-lock bosses with Skyward Kick. Even slime and Veil-touched get blown up by Resonant Touch.

He is a machine, dawg. It's not fair.

• Like 2

I was thinking about a Forbidden Fist/Soulblade with high INT and RES. Psychovampiric should be a good buff for him, later Borrowed Instincts gives a lot of additional tankyness and accuracy (if Enduring Dance is down I guess).

I want to combine Forbidden Curse with Soul Ignition (first) and then later Disintegrate.

Oh... good idea. What about Stalker's Bonded Grief (>4m distance)? Get some Boots of Speed and Long Stride and go left-right-left-right... *BOOM* 10 wounds.  :)

Edit: did a quick test: doesn't work. I guess only stuff with a duration that can expire counts.

Edited by Boeroer

Anything that gives you +RES could be a reason. I just raised RES to the 35 cap via console - and suddenly Forbidden Fist curse only lasts under 3 secs even with high INT and everything is awesome. You don't really need Clarity anymore. Of course 35 RES is not realistic. But it gives you a hint what additional RES is good for.

You could reach rel. high RES with maxing starting RES to 20, get a Multiclass with RES inspiration (+5), grab some items (+?) and a proper pet (+1) and some duration reductions from items like from Ring of Solitary Wanderer and so on.

Classes with RES inspirations or bonuses are Cipher (Psychovampiric Shield), Priest (Holy Meditation, Champion's Boon, Minor Avatar), Paladin (Hands of Light) and so on.

Can't say if that alone is worth it, but usually you can get some nice synergies with Multiclass Monks.  

Anything that gives you +RES could be a reason. I just raised RES to the 35 cap via console - and suddenly Forbidden Fist curse only lasts under 3 secs even with high INT and everything is awesome. You don't really need Clarity anymore. Of course 35 RES is not realistic. But it gives you a hint what additional RES is good for.

You could reach rel. high RES with maxing starting RES to 20, get a Multiclass with RES inspiration (+5), grab some items (+?) and a proper pet (+1) and some duration reductions from items like from Ring of Solitary Wanderer and so on.

Classes with RES inspirations or bonuses are Cipher (Psychovampiric Shield), Priest (Holy Meditation, Champion's Boon, Minor Avatar), Paladin (Hands of Light) and so on.

Can't say if that alone is worth it, but usually you can get some nice synergies with Multiclass Monks.  

There is the +5 resolve item if you have <1k gold too

Right. Cloak of Poverty - good point.

You can also get a lot of +RES with those necklaces that give you +1 RES per fallen ally (includes summons) - caps at +4.

Then you would already be at +10 with items and pet, +15 with inspiration - if you had 20 starting RES you are already at 35. Sweet.

Then add the other duration reductions like Lone Wolf...

Too bad that afflcitions that get negated by Resistance don't count.

Edited by Boeroer

You can also get a lot of +RES with those necklaces that give you +1 RES per fallen ally (includes summons) - caps at +4.

Last time I checked it didn't work with summons and the description also specifies "party member", not "ally".

Edited by Kaylon

Oh - then that has changed or I must misrember. I thought I used it with a SC Paladin and a Beckoner in the party, combined with Devine Retribution and so on... 

The alternatives are not so nice: Ring of the Solitary Wanderer and Harmony Ring kind of contradict each other... Chameleon's Toch only raises RES for Priest (ok when mutilclassing with one of course) and Druid (played a Forbidden Fist/Animist already - was meh)... what else is out there?