First-person shooter :(

Why, Osidian, why?! What have we - people with motion sickness - ever done to you to deserve that?! First Cyberpunk 2077, now you. Second sci-fi game I will have to skip next year. And again, from the company I trusted and never expected such a blow :(   

Please, at least consider the addition of third person view too for your next game! Can not say how it translates to the sales but it sure makes a lot of people happy.

• Like 6

An adjustable FOV slider should theoretically alleviate this. Considering this is unfortunately not a thing on a lot of these games I understand the frustration. A game with a console FOV like 60 or something is bound to cause problems. Widening that up to ninety or even one hundred should help significantly.

Yes! We have no bananas.

Ye 3rd person option would be god send to have as option, adjusting the FOV slider is very rarely a fix to the problem when motion sickness takes over.

I wish nothing but good for this game and studio but sadly I have to skip this game unless there is some way to get 3rd person option to work, be it by just tweaking .ini files or what ever.

There is hope for this because the camera rotates if you idle long enough so it might just be matter of simply adjusting numerical values from camera, or like in games such as Borderlands, modders made it possible to change the camera. This was done by cheatengine so that might be issue on itself. I just hope the devs would go that extra mile and add OPTION for camera change.

And hey, theres always Fallout76 to play... hahaha... I made myself sad :(

• Like 3

Ye 3rd person option would be god send to have as option, adjusting the FOV slider is very rarely a fix to the problem when motion sickness takes over.

I wish nothing but good for this game and studio but sadly I have to skip this game unless there is some way to get 3rd person option to work, be it by just tweaking .ini files or what ever.

There is hope for this because the camera rotates if you idle long enough so it might just be matter of simply adjusting numerical values from camera, or like in games such as Borderlands, modders made it possible to change the camera.

I suppose it depends on how the character is designed. Borderlands are multiplayer game, which means that from outside they had to look somewhat decent. Even if the character is fully modeled (important question - can you see your legs in OW?) he might look very much like this:

https://youtu.be/yPSCeVSM0Sg

• Like 2

There is hope for this because the camera rotates if you idle long enough so it might just be matter of simply adjusting numerical values from camera, or like in games such as Borderlands, modders made it possible to change the camera.

I suppose it depends on how the character is designed. Borderlands are multiplayer game, which means that from outside they had to look somewhat decent. Even if the character is fully modeled (important question - can you see your legs in OW?) he might look very much like this:

Would agree for any weird TPP - still better than no TPP at all.

• Like 2

It’s tough subject. I generally prefer if game stick to one camera option and it well, but if FP camera makes you sick it is a completely fair request to implement one.

I don’t think Obsidian can afford implementing another camera option poorly, I have seen suggestions to implement out of combat camera only. I would be surprised if Obsidian would do that. Bunch of people will play the game, and if camera if wonky, it will be seen as a broken feature, not as an option for people who really really need it.

If it is possible at all, a good solution might be to make camera easily moddable - even if animations a wonky, or armours aren’t build to cover character character properly - something to allow community to add that feature, even poorly, without putting pressure on Obsidian to deliver a completely new way of playing the game.

I don’t know, it sucks. One thing I can be thankful for, I guess, is not having a motion sickness.

I would just hope Obs adjusts the view and its functionality to be less rudimentary, and less like a simple commonplace first person shooter-looter.

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

That is true! But the main character could be using same animations as the NPC characters do, now ofcourse it is not that simple, if it would be people would just do it themselves at home. But there is always hope to make it work at home and the fix, all though how janky it might be, is the medicine most of people who suffer from motion sickess need

What the hell? Two of my three favorite developers announced a first person-only RPG this year (the other is CD Project). I just need a Piranha Bytes FPS announcement to jump out of the window. It is still not a dealbreaker, I'm just disappointed.

+1 for mentioning Piranha Bytes even though I disagree with you. More FPS for the people!

• Like 1

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Indie dev studio makes game for people like me.

We buy game.

Indie dev studio is bought by multinational corporation.

We don't buy game.

Corporate financial officer comes up with explanation for lack of profit focusing on how too many people work at the subsidiary dev studio.

Meanwhile, different indie dev studio makes game for people like me, and the cycle continues.

Edited by lowdegger
  • Like 1

We buy game.

We don't buy game.

Corporate financial officer comes up with explanation for lack of profit focusing on how too many people work at the subsidiary dev studio.

Meanwhile, different indie dev studio makes game for people like me, and the cycle continues.

So much stupid.

Microsoft acquisition has been recent, as far as the word goes they are still figuring things out, and Outer Worlds doesn't have anything to do with Microsoft. That project has been long on the making. Decision to limit camera options for purely FTP has been made by Obsidian due to budget limitations. Who knows, maybe with big backing of Microsoft it would have 3rd person view, just to match current "Bethesda" model. 

• Like 4

We buy game.

We don't buy game.

So much stupid.

Microsoft acquisition has been recent, as far as the word goes they are still figuring things out, and Outer Worlds doesn't have anything to do with Microsoft. That project has been long on the making. Decision to limit camera options for purely FTP has been made by Obsidian due to budget limitations. Who knows, maybe with big backing of Microsoft it would have 3rd person view, just to match current "Bethesda" model.

Will be good when this influx of new posters/fans diminishes. A couple of weeks more and these irrational posts will drop substantially.

I recall one lesson from ages ago. I held out on buying a game. It was based on ip that i loved, and it was from an rpg studio with some pedigree.

I was crazy disappointed it were first person. I put off buying the game for ages, convinced it was going to be a shallow, depressing experience. One day i finally caved.

The game, ofc, was Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines.

I soon resolved to be more open-minded.

I AM A RENISANCE MAN

Personally, I would only play games like this in first person. 

But I understand people that like 3rd person view, It would be great if there would be an option for them to play like they want. If this would be a 3rd person view game only, I would be making post  asking for a 1st person view...

Obsidian was very good in delivering all kind of options in their latest games which you could toggle on/off if you liked. At least that was the case in PoE1 and 2. 

But OW being a full 3D game, maybe it is not as easy to implement. Or maybe it is too expensive and time consuming?

Look at the Fallout 3 (for start)... I could never ever play it in 3rd person because of (please insert your most negative word yourself) character animations... I literally get nausea even remembering it...

If you can not do it right... do not do it.

I only wish NWN had a first person view... (off to the Beamdog website to ask for it)

Best,

aa

• Like 1

I recall one lesson from ages ago. I held out on buying a game. It was based on ip that i loved, and it was from an rpg studio with some pedigree.

I was crazy disappointed it were first person. I put off buying the game for ages, convinced it was going to be a shallow, depressing experience. One day i finally caved.

The game, ofc, was Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines.

I soon resolved to be more open-minded.

Bloodlines can be played in first or third person so we have options.