Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

No romance!

• Please log in to reply
209 replies to this topic

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3237 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Romances take alot of thyme to do right...

I'd rather have that effort go towards something more meaningful like making a talking peanut or a shiny toilet that floods itself. Something unique and different.

bronzepoem

bronzepoem

Kung Fu Master of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'd rather have that effort go towards something more meaningful like making a talking peanut or a shiny toilet that floods itself. Something unique and different.

Have gun but no romance?You must be kidding me.

Big-Ben

Big-Ben

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 245 posts
  • Steam:Big Ben
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Actually no he's right. The stuff Bioware does for instance costs A LOT of money. Like more than you can possibly imagine. I'd much rather have that spent on core gameplay if the money is tight. Approval ratings are not the same. It's way easier to do "You're a good leader" than it is to do "MAYBE I wanna bang you if you follow these 2397842893472934 steps".

• injurai, Sanjid099, misterjimmy and 1 other like this

injurai

injurai

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2341 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

ME also had romance from the very first game, and since there was limited representation in that first entry, they've had to expand the cast and relationships in order to cover all bases. It's a form of feature that creep that scales incredibly poorly.For one romance tends to be modal, you flirt over a long period and then boom a relationship is conveyed different. It eats up a lot of the long term character development branching that can be written for characters, because now you have this side relationship story that needs similar branching factors to whatever quest this character is undertaking. Most people don't see this content, and when they do it tends to be rather samey. I know it was for ME2.

The other issue is that either you write characters who's sexual orientation disappoints the fanbase, or you make the character player sexual and it undermines the character from having a well defined identity. These characters aren't merely collapsed quantum states, they have lives before meeting the protagonists that needs reflected. If they are discovering themselves that should be something that isn't solely being a reflection of the player's own desires. That just leads to awful writing and I think most fans pick up on how unsatisfying and groan worthy it is.

I think the best way to have romance in an rpg is between party members, and the player get's to basically be match-make and/or crotch-blocker. But even then, limit it to a love triangle or something that you can interfere with. And the player's interference should probably be a function of actually trying to pursue some greater goal.

• AwesomeOcelot and Vitalis like this

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3237 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Have gun but no romance?You must be kidding me.
Actually I'm 100% serious.

There isn't one Crpg I've ever played where romances made more sense than your standard lazy open world action game romance. So there's that.

However, I always remember stuff like a cool lookimg gun, a nice car or a weird room that makes me stop and say to myself (yes. I do talk to myself): "Wow, I wonder who thunk this up. This is crazy". That's the kimd of stuff I want to see stiffy!

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7862 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I dunno, I think romances use cinnamon.
  • Guard Dog, ShadySands, Big-Ben and 3 others like this

LittleAmadillo0

LittleAmadillo0

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 166 posts

I dunno, I think romances use cinnamon.

A good romance requires thyme, cinnamon, and vanilla.

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3237 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Oh my.

This season on Romance Chef with John Stamos!
  • Guard Dog and LittleAmadillo0 like this

jf8350143

jf8350143

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 213 posts
No romance is not a good thing, but also not a bad thing. It just depends on whether the devs want to do it or not.
  • Sondergaard likes this

Foamhead

Foamhead

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 74 posts

There are always twits who think that by hating things which are popular they are so much smarter. They are usually from the RPG Codex coincidentally.

They've never had romance options in their games so I don't see why Obsidian feels the need to advertise this fact in every game. At this point I think they are trying to appeal to said above twits.

Between being Windows 10 exclusive and more of the same appeal to fanboy philosophy, my interest is completely zero now.

*Edit*

By Windows 10 exclusive I mean in terms of PC. I should have been more clear that I was not including consoles.

Edited by Foamhead, 09 December 2018 - 05:20 PM.

teknoman2

teknoman2

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1368 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

There are always twits who think that by hating things which are popular they are so much smarter. They are usually from the RPG Codex coincidentally.

They've never had romance options in their games so I don't see why Obsidian feels the need to advertise this fact in every game. At this point I think they are trying to appeal to said above twits.

Between being Windows 10 exclusive and more of the same appeal to fanboy philosophy, my interest is completely zero now.

they didn't advertise anything, they were asked "is there romance?" and they responded "no". they never put a huge banner saying "look at out game, it has no romance, how cool is that?"

cheesealmighty

cheesealmighty

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 10 posts

What the hell are you on about? The game is coming out for both consoles and Windows. See here: 

0e629054b0.png

And if you're talking about Linux, well pardon them for not creating an architecture for the %1 of the potential userbase. And one shouldn't really expect to play games on MacOS anyway. Maybe down the line, if the sales are good, it could be feasible.

While I'm not exactly keen on the fact that there's no "romance", I trust them to create characters that feel close to your heart. Say, like, Veronica in New Vegas. And I will probably be adding a mod to alleviate this fact when they eventually come out. Or maybe a DLC? Who knows. 

And it's really hard to create believable romance in an intricate RPG. Mass Effect and Witcher could do it, because well, the main character was more defined. So the designer has a certain framework to start with. And considering these folk aren't exactly swimming in money, I understand their decision.

But it's fine, I guess. You just keep being you. 

• PantherX14 likes this

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 603 posts

I don't think that part is accurate

• ShadySands likes this

Insolentius

Insolentius

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Between being Windows 10 exclusive...

CN.png

• the_dog_days and PantherX14 like this

Dryden

Dryden

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I think a great romance as part of the players story can be truly brilliant. The problem is that a "decent" or "okay" romance isnt good enough. Decent graphics? Sure. Okay combat? Thats fine. As long as the story, quests, characters etc are good and compelling. Those are the really important parts. But a great story with great characters would get a lot worse with an "okay" romance imo.

So even though I'd love to see Obsidian pull of an awesome romance (they didnt in deadfire), if they feel they cant do it justice then it is definetly good they're not trying, and focusing on other things instead.

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3237 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

It's quite the contrary, I've played too many games with romances, that's why I'd rather have none. It's not an issue with romances, it's how they're conducted and implemented into games.

So before making yoyrself the "twit", next time, perhaps stop to think if there are other variables to consider (there always are).

You probably don't even know that most Jrpgs and Visual Novels have romances, romances isn't "popular", it's just a bit overused in games without any real depth or purpose other than "satisfying a thirst". Shallow for devs to do, but we all know this is true.

Maybe that's the joke with all these dating games popping up in recent years "Date My Daddy Simulator" and so on, yeah?

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 14862 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Man - here's a post from you I could totally agree with. And then you go and put this shart in:

but we all know this is true

It's like an obsessive-compulsive disorder or truth-tourette... :sigh:

Edited by Boeroer, 09 December 2018 - 10:14 AM.

• ShadySands, Heijoushin, Sanjid099 and 2 others like this

the_dog_days

the_dog_days

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1194 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

They've never had romance options in their games so I don't see why Obsidian feels the need to advertise this fact in every game.

Game Informer asked Obsidian directly "will there be romances", to which Obsidian said "no". They didn't advertise it as a feature, it was a question in an interview.

Vitalis

Vitalis

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 343 posts

So everyone else has gone into detail why you are wrong so I'm just going to nitpick another portion in which you are wrong.

Deadfire had romances in it, they were done terribly, which is why Obsidian has said that they prefer not to do them in the first place.

*Insert reply about being a twit from RPGCodex here*

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 14862 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
I don't like romances in games - but I was very fond of them in real-life (before I got married).

I like RPGs but I loathe RPG Codex.

Yeah: I'm full of contradictions. ;)
  • injurai, Daled, draego and 3 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users