Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

No romance!

• Please log in to reply
209 replies to this topic

BillyCorgan

BillyCorgan

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 226 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

So, no, it hasn't been liberated from Bethesda at all, really. 

The romances are often ridiculous and breaks the rhythm and personality of the characters ... it's childish and irrelevant, at least as it's done in recent years ...
If it fits strongly in the narrative I do not see any problem with that, but when it's making **** to fill a stupid specification, it's better to do without and focus on the heart of the game! Good choice i guess!

... Man was made to love.

So love IRL and let's designer make the Game they want to do. That's all.
Romance in games is not necessary for all the case...

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7733 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Kickstarter Backer

Actually, just wanted to work in the FNM song lyric but got it wrong it is "man was born to love"

Edited by Malcador, 07 December 2018 - 12:47 PM.

evilcat

evilcat

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 909 posts

Lack of kinky gay romances is a drawback.

Dont get this hate on romances, they could be not as good as, and generally "i would do it better", however same could be said about sidequests. Bad sidequest are wasting money from good mainquest, why not kill all the sidequests? Not everytihing need to be solved with violence or acquiring goods, if some players care about acquiring love of their companions, good for them, that is an expansion of the game.

Nevertheless there other games and if there is demand there will be supply.

Just keep being you.

wolfrider100

wolfrider100

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 245 posts

I'm fine with there being no romance, this just makes me more hyped for this game.

Edited by wolfrider100, 07 December 2018 - 12:48 PM.

• dlux, BillyCorgan, Sanjid099 and 1 other like this

algroth

algroth

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1321 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Inb4 fans demand Outer Worlds 2 have romances because they want to shag Ellie, and Outer Worlds 2 includes romances, but not for Ellie. dbdhcc6-d7eb1eb0-9c3e-4f40-a250-8a1d6965

Icesong

Icesong

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 53 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Yes! Reduced ability to define my character!

• Sondergaard likes this

dlux

dlux

Righteous Paladin of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 685 posts

Good. Romance in video games is extremely controversial. It is better not to bother with it and just make a good game.

• Guard Dog likes this

Eelectrica

Eelectrica

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Steam:Eelectrica
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Good. Dev time wasted on romances is time not spent on actual content.

Edited by Eelectrica, 07 December 2018 - 07:32 PM.

injurai

injurai

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2246 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Yes! Reduced ability to define my character!

There is always someone who tries to paint allocation of finite resources this way. Their justification is well reasoned.

Personally I can't believe they won't let me define myself as a poor line-cook trying to impress my chef for a promotion. Can't believe they don't facilitate that important aspect of my character's identity.

“We really wanted to focus on you role-playing your character,” Boyarsky said, “developing the unique personalities of your companions as fully fleshed out people.”

Romance, he said, has a tendency to funnel gameplay and temper the decisions players make in the game in unusual ways. For that reason, they opted to leave it out.

“We had to pick what we were going to put our time into,” Boyarsky said. “Other people have explored the romance angle in different ways. We felt like sometimes it kind of waters down your roleplaying for your character because it turns into this mini game of how do I seduce this companion or that companion. So it was just one of the things we felt wasn’t really what we wanted to focus our time on. [...] We’re really trying to be focused on a specific experience so that we can polish that experience and give players the best version of that experience that we can.”

Edited by injurai, 07 December 2018 - 07:55 PM.

• AwesomeOcelot and Vitalis like this

Selky

Selky

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 89 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer

I'm completely fine with this after Deadfire.

• BillyCorgan, Heijoushin, wolfrider100 and 3 others like this

slopesandsam

slopesandsam

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I thought romances were a cute addition when they appeared in Dragon Age: Origins, but it annoys me that they seem to have become a staple of the genre.  They always cause me to stop thinking of the companions as characters, and start thinking of them as systems to be gamed.  It breaks my immersion.

• mkreku, BillyCorgan, injurai and 7 others like this

Vitalis

Vitalis

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 299 posts

I'm completely fine with this after Deadfire.

I think that's why they did them in Deadfire.

Ogi79

Ogi79

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 39 posts

GOOD! I hate  good story water down  with  "romance"crap. You want romance?  go outside in pub or whatever and romance whoever you want.

Hedronn

Hedronn

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 4 posts

There is real life for romances... I don't feel like they are needed in any game, especially in what looks to be ToW with his twisted universe, crazy and tongue-in-cheek humor and so on.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 597 posts

I thought romances were a cute addition when they appeared in Dragon Age: Origins, but it annoys me that they seem to have become a staple of the genre.  They always cause me to stop thinking of the companions as characters, and start thinking of them as systems to be gamed.  It breaks my immersion.

They go back well before that

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 597 posts

I like a lot of personal interaction with NPC. Complex friendships, alliances, rivalries, even enemies is good. PoE did this right. I hear Deadfire too but despite pre-ordering & installing it I haven't gotten around to it yet. But the romance options in games are often contrived, poorly handled, and center far too much on solving the romance target's problems. The PC & NPC never come in as equal partners. I can think of very few that were done right. I liked Morrigan's in DA because she came into it with an ulterior motive which made for a good twist. Other than that, none were overly interesting. 

I like how Skyrim did it. No real effort was put into it, you can marry pretty much anyone and they all say the same stuff anyway. You could do it or not do it and not feel like you are missing something. Plus no one could complain about being left out. (unless you had a wood elf fetish) But Skyrim was a different kind of game than I think OW will be. You didn't just play Skyrim, you lived in it. Getting married in games that sell you houses is logical. I suspect in OW we're going to be moving around a lot

I like how FONV & PoE handled interpersonal relationships & friendships with companions  and wrapped them up with game play choices. I got far more enjoyment from that. So more of that from OW is good for me. 

• injurai likes this

Wormerine

Wormerine

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2800 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I like how Skyrim did it. No real effort was put into it, you can marry pretty much anyone and they all say the same stuff anyway. You could do it or not do it and not feel like you are missing something.

:-D That's best summary of Bethesda RPGs I have every seen. "You could do it or not do it and not feel like you are missing something". 

• kirottu, Guard Dog, ShadySands and 6 others like this

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 597 posts

I like how Skyrim did it. No real effort was put into it, you can marry pretty much anyone and they all say the same stuff anyway. You could do it or not do it and not feel like you are missing something.

:-D That's best summary of Bethesda RPGs I have every seen. "You could do it or not do it and not feel like you are missing something". 

:lol:  When you realize nothing is good you don't have to worry about missing something good!

HoonDing

HoonDing

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 9318 posts

good thing theres no romance

just look at everyone

uglyyyyyy

• Malcador likes this

teknoman2

teknoman2

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1367 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

i'd rather have no romance at all than romance made to just check a box in the list of features. the only game that i actually liked how romance was done was Alpha Protocol. Dragon Age, Mass Effect and many others, all had canned romance dialogue options; you just had to choose who you wanted to go for and just pick the obvious lines to get to the result.

• Vitalis likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users