Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

No romance!

• Please log in to reply
209 replies to this topic

uuuhhii

uuuhhii

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 360 posts

My only wish the group making OW would be honest and do not come up with coward excuses about "content dilution", which is as much corporate bull**** as infamous EA with their "sense of accomplishments". Why not honestly say "romances are trouble not worth the resources spent on them"?

There is a game company - Spiders, which makes games... not to everyone's liking, let's put it like that. Some people (well, a lot) will call them "bad", for me - it's sort of acquainted taste and I do like the company for it's honesty. When they were asked why there is no female protagonist in their last game (The Technomancer), they said openly and directly: it cost twice as much to make VO for the game with two protagonists and we could not afford the second voice set. What's stopping Obsidian from admission "romances are too troublesome"?

Because, let's face it, they are.

Disclaimer: I love romances in the games. If the game has a romance in it, it means I will most likely at least try that game (if I can physically play it, OW as a FPS is not playable to me). Yet, with all my love to the feature, I am not blind to the problems its implementation brings to the development. Romance means emotions, hence, a lot of passionate public opinions. Romance means taste, hence - you can not possible give everyone what they want. There will be tons of accusations, starting from obvious mandatory copy/paste "all fem options are ugly feminists / males are the most boring kind of humans / gay romances are scarce and after-thought" and ending with detailed unfavorable analysis of every moment of each romance. Writing style of a romance will be the most criticized part of the plot. Romanced characters immediately become very limited in development both background-wise and story-wise: you make the companion "playersexual" - it looses the background (no previous relationship can be mentioned, no tastes can be expressed), you specify sexuality - you will never hear the end of it (why this and not that?!). If character is set for betrayal - for a romanced betrayer you will get all sort very expressionate "why-s" and "how-s" (rightfully so, btw :) ). Same with death, leaving, or any independent move, so, you better avoid it. And unlike game-mechanics you can not later balance or fix it, what's done is done.

So, with romances you will get some ecstatic grateful group of enthusiasts, but voices of those left unsatisfied can very well be be louder. Including romances is all risk with questionable profit (moral or material). Is there someone who does not understand it? Then why not say it?

I would still argue that these days people want more from their stories and romances are as good of a promotion feature as high level graphics, but it is still a risk. Honest admission of that simple facts would look better than a corporate political correctness talk.

the developer made bound by flame?

that game has a great ending scene when the ash dragon fly over

can't get into technomancer though

tried mace and failed

BillyCorgan

BillyCorgan

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 226 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Wrong. Half of the answers are there to say that we do not care about "Romance" and trust Obsidian to make a good game (and no need to flirt a pile of pixels to feel better before turning off your PC).

I trust Obsidian to make a good game with or without romances. They make good games, period. And the idea that flirting with an NPC as part of a romance portion of a game has anything to do with "feeling better" is about as accurate as the idea that combat, exploration, inventory management, or quest completion have anything to do with "feeling better".

Yes, you're right... but i am surprised to see that the main concern of the members of this forum since the announcement of the game is ... "romances" (this is the subject that I always see go back and with the most views). Still, is this the fundamental point of the title? I do not think so. I find this request / expectation exessive and ultimately useless. That's all.

Mirandel

Mirandel

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 94 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Wrong. Half of the answers are there to say that we do not care about "Romance" and trust Obsidian to make a good game (and no need to flirt a pile of pixels to feel better before turning off your PC).

I trust Obsidian to make a good game with or without romances. They make good games, period. And the idea that flirting with an NPC as part of a romance portion of a game has anything to do with "feeling better" is about as accurate as the idea that combat, exploration, inventory management, or quest completion have anything to do with "feeling better".

Yes, you're right... but i am surprised to see that the main concern of the members of this forum since the announcement of the game is ... "romances" (this is the subject that I always see go back and with the most views). Still, is this the fundamental point of the title? I do not think so. I find this request / expectation exessive and ultimately useless. That's all.

Can it be because the rest is expected and obvious? It's an RPG - people expect the story and expect it to be good by definition, it's a shooter, so there are certain mechanics that expected and quality of them is expected as well. There are a lot of games now-days, you need to add something extra to stand out from the crowd. Romances is a feature common enough to be recognized and wanted yet, not so ubiquitous to be absolutely expected.

VaultBoi2077

VaultBoi2077

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 8 posts

AC Oydessey did a surprisingly excellent job with PC romances. It's too bad it's not going to be included in the game. Perhaps Obsidian will leave enough coding wiggle room so modders can make that a reality using UnReal 4 engine.

woufff

woufff

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Steam:woufff

I would like the possbility of a romance or a choice of it, IMHO this adds to the roleplaying aspect.  But romances or not romances, I'm quite sure we will see an excellent game here and there may be modders around who might be able to add one, let's wait and see 8)

Jvdicator

Jvdicator

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 9 posts

No romance, please and thanks.

Mikeymoonshine

Mikeymoonshine

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 313 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Deadfire didn't exactly make the idea of romances in an obsidian game more appealing. New Vegas and Kotor 2 did have some of that kind of content though even though it wasn't really romances and I didn't have an issue with it in either game. Other than the mechanics of the gay perk I found to be more like a lgbt character toggle but I doubt that was the intent.

floredon

floredon

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Romance in video games has been pretty cringe worthy imo, glad they decided not to include it.

Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1548 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Romance in video games has been pretty cringe worthy imo, glad they decided not to include it.

This thread has been pretty cringe-worthy, imo.

• Mannock and the_dog_days like this

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 13934 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Both... both...

0 user(s) are reading this topic