20 minutes ago, Wormerine said:

Why? Because both parties aren't white or because both parties are female? If one character was white female and other was white male would anything change about the conversation? Would that make it alright to you?

It would not look half as ridiculous. How many other Chinese or Indian NPC with proper Chinese/Indian names and looks does this game has? My most optimistic bet is ~3-5 for either.

But this couple is so "special and international" in every way imaginable that it is textbook ham. It breaks suspension of disbelief.

Edited by Daidre

30 minutes ago, Daidre said:

It would not look half as ridiculous. How many other Chinese or Indian NPC with proper Chinese/Indian names and looks does this game has? My most optimistic bet is ~3-5 for either.

But this couple is so "special and international" in every way imaginable that it is textbook ham. It breaks suspension of disbelief.

The world is full of people who aren't white and aren't straight. 

42 minutes ago, Mikeymoonshine said:

That's still millions of people. 

And how many of them are currently in interracial celibate relationship with a person of the same gender? I think thousands would be really optimistic for a humanity as a whole.

It looks like an only reason token Indian girl was included into the game and main cast of characters is to make her a half of a token (double token!) couple.  It is some ultra-tokenism that is supposed to:

lead to less bigoted attitudes

Oh, and I forgot, there are lot of hints that she is also mildly autistic or something similar.

Edited by Daidre

18 minutes ago, Daidre said:

And how many of them are currently in interracial celibate relationship with a person of the same gender? I think thousands would be really optimistic for a humanity as a whole.

It looks like an only reason token Indian girl was included into the game and main cast of characters is to make her a half of a token (double token!) couple.  It is some ultra-tokenism that is supposed to:

They don't have to be a statistical majority to be represented in media. I know asexual people who were happy to see an asexual character not portrayed in a negitive way because that pretty much never happens. You already have it the way you want in most media, why are you getting upset over one character that doesn't represent the majority of people? 

Also calling a character a "token" just for being Asian isn't a good look. Asian people are actually the largest racial group on the planet. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mikeymoonshine said:

Also calling a character a "token" just for being Asian isn't a good look. Asian people are actually the largest racial group on the planet. 

She is in the game world judging by NPC names and how they look. 

There is gonna be some minor spoilers about companions, so if you don't wanna be spoiled, stop reading.

I would be fine with no romance if my companions weren't so ****ing boring. I actually want to personally kill them after I get them as companions. But I can't, I don't know why but they become immune to my bullets specifically and can disappear into ****ing thin air with all my **** they equipped once they I tell them to **** off. 

Nyoka stops being amusing the moment she stops being drunk, I thought her interactions would have been her slurring and stuttering, but the moment she got sober, she got so ****ing boring. Aside from that, the crew wanting to join your ship without pay really bugs the **** out of me, what did I do? Went and talk to someone for one second, and suddenly they want in on my spaceship? How the **** you even know I have a spaceship? Does my spaceship have a key? Am I wearing it around my waist that it seem that obvious I am a captain? How do you know I even have enough cabins? Did I advertised I needed crew? Maybe I am a bum just like you. I would be incredulous if anyone in that world told me they have a spaceship, much less assume they had one. 

The quest to get companions is really dumb too. Ellie, she joins because I got her acquaintance out of trouble, not best friend, not lover, acquaintance, she herself didn't sound like she was any thrilled or interested when I said "Oh your buddy's not gonna get hunted down by the board now." She's like "Oh guess I am indebted to you now, so I am just gonna make my way to your ship unless you say no".  It actually feels like I am just going around picking up bums off the street. Speaking of bums, Felix. The only character trait I can think of him other than him calling my character "boss" is he thinks Pi equals to pie. Is that amusing? I don't know. 

Maybe it's because I haven't gotten to their companion quests yet but I have finished the Vicar's and him discovering stoicism by getting high was actually laughable, not like good writing or anything but just plain laughable. I am actually amazed that the Vicar got high and realized stoicism is a thing. That was it. His spiritual journey was him claiming to look for a scholar who knows French but actually wanting to kill the guy who lead him to search for the book blah blah, it seems as if the number of companions in this game ruined the quality of companions. 

Oh yeah, I actually forgot about Parvati. Amazing, I did her quest to the half way or quarter way point, no idea, but I actually forgot how it even happened, she said she wanted tips from Tennyson abut I am not sure if I zoned out of what was being said or there was something about space telekinesis that wasn't explained in-game but suddenly she was talking about flirting with her, how did getting tips about engineering turn into that? I didn't hear anything explicit during our initial introduction, how did it came to that? I was too confused and bored to finish playing that questline anyway. She reminds me of a 1920s shoe-shining boy "Hey, mister, is that shiny enough for ya?" "Gee whiz mister I am sorry for the trouble"

I would actually rather have ADA as a pocket companion that actually have companions in this game. She's actually amusing and well-written. 

Speaking of dialogues, the quality and variety of dialogues has really gone down compared to New Vegas. It's still passable but the sort of aggressive and peaceful dialogue you can have doesn't seem to be as well-written. The game didn't look that good, I wasn't expecting much, it still delivered on my bare minimum but man, it doesn't need that many companions, I just needed interesting ones. I can literally pick four off the first two places I go to, I don't even earn the respect of my crew, they just tag along like bums. 

Honestly I would prefer to have no companions than have bad ones, definitely gonna do a solo run later. 

1 hour ago, Daidre said:

No need for "suspension of disbelief" when it comes to having a multi-ethnic couple unless you're some sort of homophobe and white supremacist nut. 

Most of humankind is made of Asians. Deal with it. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Daidre said:

She is in the game world judging by NPC names and how they look. 

I feel like the Devs tried to have several characters from every group in the game. Probably because they were trying to represent the entire world, maybe still more of a focus on white people but it is still a western game so you can expect those biases. We weren't shown the entire game world tho, only certain sections of it. The NPC's we interact with are not supposed to be all of the people in halcyon. They are just a selection of them. 

Discuss the post, not the poster, please. It'd be a shame if the topic degenerated into a poo-flinging contest. And no, despite what you may have heard, flinging poo is not a particularly compelling show of intelligence.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

6 minutes ago, Mikeymoonshine said:

Flamboyant? Your bias is showing mate. 

You can buy her clothes, beauty products, cake and follow her on the date. It is as creepy as it could be in bias department.  So yes, whole package freaked me out a bit.

Edited by Daidre

• 11 months later...

So....

Now that Obsidian's bribe from Epic to have a year's worth of exclusivity is over and I've bought the game at half the price on GoG, I'd like to revisit this topic....

And to reiterate how weird (and frankly utterly absurd) the argument to have "no player choices on romance options in order to expand player choice is".

Yes, over a year later I'm revisiting this forum to tell Obsidian both how much I hated your decision to give the Epic store a timed exclusive for a FULL DAMNED YEAR was and also how much I hated your decision to remove romance options for "player choice" (translated: these are hard to do right and take actual effort).

The actual game is good so far, about 12 hours in. REALLY GOOD. So I don't want this to come across as just bashing on Obsidian. 

But, yeah, I'm thread necroing because both of those things (and also selling yourself to Microsoft) still bother me a year later. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2020 at 8:38 AM, nocoolnamejim said:

Yes, over a year later I'm revisiting this forum to tell Obsidian both how much I hated your decision to give the Epic store a timed exclusive for a FULL DAMNED YEAR was and also how much I hated your decision to remove romance options for "player choice" (translated: these are hard to do right and take actual effort).

Timed exclusive wasn't Obsidian's decision. I don't remember 'player choice' being the main reason for no romance, I remember the stated reason being... well more what you said in the brackets.