There are always twits who think that by hating things which are popular they are so much smarter. They are usually from the RPG Codex coincidentally.

They've never had romance options in their games so I don't see why Obsidian feels the need to advertise this fact in every game. At this point I think they are trying to appeal to said above twits.

Between being Windows 10 exclusive and more of the same appeal to fanboy philosophy, my interest is completely zero now.

they didn't advertise anything, they were asked "is there romance?" and they responded "no". they never put a huge banner saying "look at out game, it has no romance, how cool is that?"

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

There are always twits who think that by hating things which are popular they are so much smarter. They are usually from the RPG Codex coincidentally.

They've never had romance options in their games so I don't see why Obsidian feels the need to advertise this fact in every game. At this point I think they are trying to appeal to said above twits.

Between being Windows 10 exclusive and more of the same appeal to fanboy philosophy, my interest is completely zero now.

What the hell are you on about? The game is coming out for both consoles and Windows. See here: 

0e629054b0.png

And if you're talking about Linux, well pardon them for not creating an architecture for the %1 of the potential userbase. And one shouldn't really expect to play games on MacOS anyway. Maybe down the line, if the sales are good, it could be feasible.

While I'm not exactly keen on the fact that there's no "romance", I trust them to create characters that feel close to your heart. Say, like, Veronica in New Vegas. And I will probably be adding a mod to alleviate this fact when they eventually come out. Or maybe a DLC? Who knows. 

And it's really hard to create believable romance in an intricate RPG. Mass Effect and Witcher could do it, because well, the main character was more defined. So the designer has a certain framework to start with. And considering these folk aren't exactly swimming in money, I understand their decision.

But it's fine, I guess. You just keep being you. 

• Like 1

I don't think that part is accurate

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I think a great romance as part of the players story can be truly brilliant. The problem is that a "decent" or "okay" romance isnt good enough. Decent graphics? Sure. Okay combat? Thats fine. As long as the story, quests, characters etc are good and compelling. Those are the really important parts. But a great story with great characters would get a lot worse with an "okay" romance imo.

So even though I'd love to see Obsidian pull of an awesome romance (they didnt in deadfire), if they feel they cant do it justice then it is definetly good they're not trying, and focusing on other things instead.

It's quite the contrary, I've played too many games with romances, that's why I'd rather have none. It's not an issue with romances, it's how they're conducted and implemented into games.

So before making yoyrself the "twit", next time, perhaps stop to think if there are other variables to consider (there always are).

You probably don't even know that most Jrpgs and Visual Novels have romances, romances isn't "popular", it's just a bit overused in games without any real depth or purpose other than "satisfying a thirst". Shallow for devs to do, but we all know this is true.

Maybe that's the joke with all these dating games popping up in recent years "Date My Daddy Simulator" and so on, yeah?

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Man - here's a post from you I could totally agree with. And then you go and put this shart in:

but we all know this is true

It's like an obsessive-compulsive disorder or truth-tourette... :sigh: Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 5

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

They've never had romance options in their games so I don't see why Obsidian feels the need to advertise this fact in every game.

Game Informer asked Obsidian directly "will there be romances", to which Obsidian said "no". They didn't advertise it as a feature, it was a question in an interview.

So everyone else has gone into detail why you are wrong so I'm just going to nitpick another portion in which you are wrong.

Deadfire had romances in it, they were done terribly, which is why Obsidian has said that they prefer not to do them in the first place.

*Insert reply about being a twit from RPGCodex here*

I don't like romances in games - but I was very fond of them in real-life (before I got married).

I like RPGs but I loathe RPG Codex.

Yeah: I'm full of contradictions. ;)

Brother? :o

Is that my sister speaking?

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I don't like romances in games - but I was very fond of them in real-life (before I got married).

I like RPGs but I loathe RPG Codex.

Yeah: I'm full of contradictions. ;)

I'm a Sonic fan (old Sonic games, comics, shows) but hate the Sonic fanbase.
  • Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Such unfair hate for the codex here

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

To me having romances in the game is really about if someone on the development team is having passion for it. Nothing is more stale than having "obligatory" romances in games. But the best written ones are plusses for me. With Outer Worlds 'm happy with no romances, but I expect it in the second game, where Microsoft wants it included.

Edited by TheisEjsing
  • Like 3

What the hell are you on about? The game is coming out for both consoles and Windows. See here: 

0e629054b0.png

And if you're talking about Linux, well pardon them for not creating an architecture for the %1 of the potential userbase. And one shouldn't really expect to play games on MacOS anyway. Maybe down the line, if the sales are good, it could be feasible.

While I'm not exactly keen on the fact that there's no "romance", I trust them to create characters that feel close to your heart. Say, like, Veronica in New Vegas. And I will probably be adding a mod to alleviate this fact when they eventually come out. Or maybe a DLC? Who knows. 

And it's really hard to create believable romance in an intricate RPG. Mass Effect and Witcher could do it, because well, the main character was more defined. So the designer has a certain framework to start with. And considering these folk aren't exactly swimming in money, I understand their decision.

But it's fine, I guess. You just keep being you. 

My bad. I meant it would not support other operating systems like Windows 7.

So everyone else has gone into detail why you are wrong so I'm just going to nitpick another portion in which you are wrong.

Deadfire had romances in it, they were done terribly, which is why Obsidian has said that they prefer not to do them in the first place.

*Insert reply about being a twit from RPGCodex here*

To be fair, I found Deadfire so boring I never got far enough to see that portion. Well shut my mouth.

According to polygon

It's like Fallout and Mass Effect had a baby but without the romance

https://www.polygon.com/features/2018/12/7/18129759/outer-worlds-obsidian-entertainment-new-rpg-preview

So, IVF I guess?

Such unfair hate for the codex here

Would you say there are some very fine people there?

Edited by Chairchucker
  • Like 1

I thought romances were a cute addition when they appeared in Dragon Age: Origins, but it annoys me that they seem to have become a staple of the genre.  They always cause me to stop thinking of the companions as characters, and start thinking of them as systems to be gamed.  It breaks my immersion.

They go back well before that

DA:O is the first RPG I played where this was a major feature (I sort of assume they appeared in Mass Effect prior to DA, but I never played the Mass Effect games).  There were other RPGs where they was maybe a romance-themed quest or two, but I'm not aware of earlier games where the romancing of companions was so core to the game.  However, I can't claim to have played every RPG ever, or even most of them.

(Were they in KOTOR?  It's been so long since I played those I don't remember at all.)

They're in KotOR, yeah. And KotOR 2 I think.

They're also in BG2. That's the earliest example I can think of.

EDIT: Correction, there's a kind of romance in the original Fallout. Or possibly Fallout 2?

None of them are particularly noteworthy, IMO.

Edited by Chairchucker

Fallout 2 done it best xD

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"