Imagine making a game with limited resources, a small team, and deadlines, and then having everyone online complain about it lacking third person or not having mind blowing graphics because you focused on making good RPG systems, branching quests, and writing.

Yes, the game looks mildly dated. Probably because it's made by an AA developer.

• Like 4

I don't mind but other people are going to point to this and say the graphics look like they could have come from 2010. The gun and arm model probably isn't good enough, that's really retro.

gamepad controls make me cringe

Slowly turn like you're a tank turret and constantly look at the floor. This is fine.
  • Like 1

The graphics are okay. The art direction is a little weird, but I thought the gameplay preview made it look much better than the trailer did. The next game in the series could benefit from Microsoft's vast wealth if the first game is criticized for the graphics too much.

What I want to know more about is the VATS replacement. In the preview, Game Informer claimed that it just slowed down time IIRC. But it looked to me like the game paused for the first shot in the encounter before the larger battle in front of the bunker entrance. Wishful thinking? I would really like to pause and consider things during combat or stealth or whatever. More than a slow down would offer sometimes.

I like that the art style is weird.

That was the worst thing if any Fallout game, from the very first Fallout to the newest one, the art direction is some of the most boring in the industry imo. If the color palette isn't the issue then the poor design choices are.

The Outer Worlds seems to have personality at least which draws me into the world but that is just what attracts me.

Graphically, I think I said it on another thread, it doesn't bother me that this game looks like it came out around Fallout 4's time but I'd like to see more on the lighting and shadowing, and other things with a closer look. Can't wait for comparison videos to pop up on Youtube of this vs FO76, Rage 2, Far Cry New Dawn :p

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Graphics are great. Don't care about ultra high end stuff. Silent protagonist is the best thing imho. Nothing I can complain about. Some stuff like "slow" combay etc gonna wait and see more to pass final judgement - like systems and mechanics. This game already looks very good. More juicy stuff soon, please :p

"My biggest worry seeing that is having your weapon always out."

Yep, I really don't want to point my weapon at everyone I talk to. 

That and I'm hoping there's the ability to be in 3rd person, at least out of combat.

The gameplay really is a sore spot for me - no matter what angle I look at it from it looks boring. Can a first person RPG really not be anything but a first person shooter with a bullet time when it comes to combat? Are there really no other means of achieving "fun RPG combat" there?

Edited by Undecaf

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

I wouldn't go as far as "boring", but combat does look bit bland. I really like the flaw system, because it spices up the old RPG character progression. I do hope they find something to spice up the combat as well.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I wouldn't go as far as "boring", but combat does look bit bland.

I like that it looks a bit on the "heavy and sluggish" side (i.e. like with the recoil throwing the gun up) rather than fast and messy, but there just doesn't seem to be any interesting systems or quirks to kinda back that up.

I'd really like that they refurbished that bullet-time thing of theirs somehow to be more systemically interesting.

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

I love it.

First-World Open-Shooters with rpg elements are some of my favorite games, even if they don't have much depth to combat.

Borderlands (especially 2 which I consider the best one) was just SUPER simple but addicting gameplay. It didn't have much depth in world, story or gameplay yet it was great. Characters and writing were funny and entertaining.

I guess it's all in what you are looking for but this is more of a case of preference, not actual quality. From what I've seen the quality seems to be there so that's good.

It looks like a world I want to explore, bold, vibrant and odd but original looking. I already know it's going to be what I wanted from Fallout 4. And I like Fallout 4, it just could have been so much more if they hadn't focused so much on the crafting/base crap.

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

what i want to know is: why isn't this video in the pinned announcement thread?

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

I love it.

First-World Open-Shooters with rpg elements are some of my favorite games, even if they don't have much depth to combat.

Borderlands (especially 2 which I consider the best one) was just SUPER simple but addicting gameplay. It didn't have much depth in world, story or gameplay yet it was great. Characters and writing were funny and entertaining.

I guess it's all in what you are looking for but this is more of a case of preference, not actual quality. From what I've seen the quality seems to be there so that's good.

It looks like a world I want to explore, bold, vibrant and odd but original looking. I already know it's going to be what I wanted from Fallout 4. And I like Fallout 4, it just could have been so much more if they hadn't focused so much on the crafting/base crap.

Yeah, this is at least the second best option for me. What I really, really wanted was an isoemtric deep party-based CRPG in the Outer Worlds, but now, having been shown what it seems to be, I'd be quite happy to play a Borderlands 2 like-game, with lots of quirky humour, loads of monsters and baddies to kill with a hefty arsenal to pick from. And the devs, being who they are, surely have made certain that the story is deeper, and the world less open than Borderlands 2. Still, Borderlands 2, is indeed a series of chapters with semi-linear to full-linear story in each of them. Here and there, you get a companion for a while, and here, I suspect, they are more integral to the game and the gameplay. Even graphically, BL2 and TOW are more or less on par. I played BL2 solo this summer, and I enjoyed myself immensely. I'm one of those lucky people that don't experience motion sickness in computer games, not even in flight simulators. However, I do get easily car sick or sea sick in real life. I know, it's so weird. It's like my brain always can tell if it's real life motion or not. I've even been in those hydraulic advanced simulator thingies. Still, I didn't get sick, as I only registered the hydraulic movement for it was, not what the screen tried to sell me. 

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Eh, it looks fine I guess.

Open world first person shooter may not be my favourite but that's OK. Gameplay wise it seems to be utterly ordinary for the subgenre, not much mechanical innovation going on.

The aesthetic turns out to be a lot less Gilded Age and a lot more typical hodge-podge scifi with gigantic pauldrons and whatnot. I'm happy the outer planets at least include lush places and not brown-and-grey, but with Boyarski in charge it's surprising that the art direction is all over the place.

Given that the gameplay will probably be good but nothing earthshaking, the question is setting and writing. Here's hoping they can get back to FNV form there.

Edited by Tigranes

I'm one of those lucky people that don't experience motion sickness in computer games, not even in flight simulators. However, I do get easily car sick or sea sick in real life. I know, it's so weird. It's like my brain always can tell if it's real life motion or not. I've even been in those hydraulic advanced simulator thingies. Still, I didn't get sick, as I only registered the hydraulic movement for it was, not what the screen tried to sell me.

Sane exact thing here.

I've never played a game that made me feel motion sickness in any way. Yet, if I'm in a car that I'm not driving (riding in passenger), I tend to get get car-sick. I think it started after riding a roller coaster that pulled alotta G's, because it was only after that which I ever got car-sick. Some kinda post trauma.

• Like 1

[Youtube]

At the 25:50 timestamp, both Leonard and Tim acknowledge that Outer Worlds will be "a hardcore RPG". They also mention that they have different kinds of humour (L's dark and gross, and Tim's lighter and sillier, and that the game will have become better for it.) This is a very cool interview with Leonard, where he, amongst many things, tells us about how he wanted to make Diablo 3 much more of a CRPG, and that is why Blizzard hired him. But obviously, they scrapped that idea. Interesting that Blizzard and Interplay were pretty close-knit back then.

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Eh, it looks fine I guess.

Open world first person shooter may not be my favourite but that's OK. Gameplay wise it seems to be utterly ordinary for the subgenre, not much mechanical innovation going on.

The aesthetic turns out to be a lot less Gilded Age and a lot more typical hodge-podge scifi with gigantic pauldrons and whatnot. I'm happy the outer planets at least include lush places and not brown-and-grey, but with Boyarski in charge it's surprising that the art direction is all over the place.

Given that the gameplay will probably be good but nothing earthshaking, the question is setting and writing. Here's hoping they can get back to FNV form there.

Yeah, and given the demo, other than the less than appealing aesthetic, the writing isn't very good and already loaded with tough guy/gal speak. On the other hand, the C&C looks to be promising. Just a mixed bag so far, but it is the first showing so we must cut them some slack.

At the 25:50 timestamp, both Leonard and Tim acknowledge that Outer Worlds will be "a hardcore RPG".

I'm pretty sure they can deliver when it comes to reactivity and narrative design. But I'm a tad worried about the gameplay, since the FPS medium they've chosen doesn't really lend itself well for.... "hardcore" systems and mechanics these days (or... it probably would, if there was intent to do it well). Gameplay, RPG systems and how they work are really my only concern with this game.

• Like 1

Like others, I'd also like to add my concern over the combat mechanics and the character build systems, and the variety and options we'd get.

SPOILER WARNING!!!

Oh, and if you, like me, get tired of reading a bunch of articles, here's a nice guy that really summarizes almost all that we know neatly and informatively in like 17 minutes:

Limited to 2 companions, you can't dump stuff in their inventory, and you can pick leadership skills to make them better.

Enemies will scale to your level, but some areas will have tougher enemies, always.

Honestly, while the game doesn't look like it'll have the deepest combat, or story, it definitely looks like it'll be quite an enjoyable ride. And after hardly playing anything but story-driven isometric CRPG's over the past few years, that may be exactly what i need