only real time or also VATS?

There's no information on this yet. It obviously won't be called VATS, but it's not unreasonable to think that there might be some colonist equivalent that the protagonist has access to. I'm not sure to what degree copyright infringement effects these things, but pausing and targeting specific body parts might be enough to earn them a lawsuit from Bethesda. Maybe? No idea.

If there was a VATS-like system, I think it would need to be more enriching then what we got from Bethesda. I know they probably felt like they had to stick to the roots especially when making such a modern incarnation of the classic series. I only ever found VATS enjoyable when my own skills where falling short and I'd rather role the dice for a chance rather than meet a sure death.

If we do have party members, some sort of pause menu to delicate flanking positions and actions would be a nice start. Keeping the actions points of vats I think is a perfectly fine way to go. I'm sure a lot could be borrowed from jrpgs for the menus, FO3/4 Vats is just way too bare bones.

• Like 1

I’d really like some form of alternative to pure FPS combat. If it’s something VATS-like, so be it (just as long as it is NOT a bullet-time slow-mo borefest, and I can’t underline that ”NOT” part enough).

Perhaps some mechanical thing that allows player initiated automatic aim in form of s target lock with hit chances based on the characters aptitude.

Anything really, but a tired grindy FPS with a possible slow-mo feature to pick you headshots.

• Like 1

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Yeah, I'd greatly prefer there to be some way to resolve game situations other than pure running-and-gunning.  Straightforward FPS gameplay is not really the strength of this studio, and certainly isn't my first choice of core gameplay mechanics as a player.  Frenetic real-time gameplay is just... frenetic.  Not what I want to be subjecting myself to in my limited leisure time. 

I'd look to the tactical pause and other-than-gun abilities of the pre-Andromeda Mass Effects, rather than the 3D-Fallouts' VATS, personally.  Strong support for stealth approaches (as in Alpha Protocol or the Deus Ex games) also works. 

• Like 4

If there was a VATS-like system, I think it would need to be more enriching then what we got from Bethesda. I know they probably felt like they had to stick to the roots especially when making such a modern incarnation of the classic series. I only ever found VATS enjoyable when my own skills where falling short and I'd rather role the dice for a chance rather than meet a sure death.

If we do have party members, some sort of pause menu to delicate flanking positions and actions would be a nice start. Keeping the actions points of vats I think is a perfectly fine way to go. I'm sure a lot could be borrowed from jrpgs for the menus, FO3/4 Vats is just way too bare bones.

^This, so much this!

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

There is a slowdown mechanic about which is talked a bit in here:
https://youtu.be/J3cRpYGVPsU?t=551

Essencially, there is a purple bar underneath health which can be used for slowdown. It drains slowely if you don't move/attack (so you can slow down to comprehend your situation) but drains quicker if you move/attack. According to GameInformer it might give you some attack bonuses as well (though he seems unsure). 

I also think the slowdown is a feature that is either only available or only really useful if you orient your build and play around direct combat. So if you're a stealth character and you can't get by on your gunplay alone. You won't have the time dilation to brute through, you'll be more pressed to employ your builds alternative strategies.

Yup. Time dilation confirmed. Essentially a mix of bullet time and minimal VATS influence in that you see details of the enemies health and armour.

I hope there's still time to change that.

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

I also think the slowdown is a feature that is either only available or only really useful if you orient your build and play around direct combat. So if you're a stealth character and you can't get by on your gunplay alone. You won't have the time dilation to brute through, you'll be more pressed to employ your builds alternative strategies.

Maybe there will be stat which is responsible for your “slowdown meter”. Maybe it will have other applications than just slowing time in combat.

Maybe there will be stat which is responsible for your “slowdown meter”. Maybe it will have other applications than just slowing time in combat.

Well one of the mentioned features is slowing time to assess the situation, there is a skill that allows you to pull stats on the enemies you put your reticule over.

I wonder if the game will have varying damage based on where you shoot the enemy? I do really like Fallout's injury system. If you could hobble a big brute of an enemy so it can only limp over to you while you focus fire on some ranged mobs. That would be some really nice crowd control.

So yeah, I hope there is some tactical crowd control options.

There is a slowdown mechanic about which is talked a bit in here:

https://youtu.be/J3cRpYGVPsU?t=551

Essencially, there is a purple bar underneath health which can be used for slowdown. It drains slowely if you don't move/attack (so you can slow down to comprehend your situation) but drains quicker if you move/attack. According to GameInformer it might give you some attack bonuses as well (though he seems unsure).

Sounds more like Horizon Zero Dawns' slow-motion mechanic than Fallout Vats.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

I thought VATS was a good idea but absolutely hated its implementation. You basically had to use it because of the extreme jank of the engine, and it was painful each time, and the amount of times you had to use it was astronomical, so much fodder from miles around.

This bullet time/SUPERHOT thing looks interesting, you can never be sure until you play it yourself though.

• Like 1

I don't like shooters and I wouldn't play modern fallouts at all if they didn't include vats from old fallouts. It is a crucial feature.

So this topic is very important to me.

Slow-mo will never equal a proper tactical pause. Fallout 4 proved it.

Any kind of "time warp meter" still leaves me with this nervous feeling that it will soon deplete. Action is still going on, bullets are flying, you are still at risk. Active pauses are comforting. You know you can take your time.

At the moment it is my only major concern. Anything else looks amazing to me.

No tactical pause = I take "leader" build and let companions do all the fighting. Maybe will throw grenades. 

• Like 3

Since they won't add an optional top-down rtwp gameplay, I'm not interested in pausing in first person view, slow-mo is a better option in this situation for fps game play or for me. 

What I'm more curious to know is: since in Tactical Time Dilation shots can be snapped to individual body parts, will there be dismemberment? if there won't be dismemberment It would be a bit pointless to hit anywhere other than heads, at least for humanoid targets.

Since they won't add an optional top-down rtwp gameplay, I'm not interested in pausing in first person view, slow-mo is a better option in this situation for fps game play or for me. 

What I'm more curious to know is: since in Tactical Time Dilation shots can be snapped to individual body parts, will there be dismemberment? if there won't be dismemberment It would be a bit pointless to hit anywhere other than heads, at least for humanoid targets.

Some of the...rat things dismember in the preview vid. at least, their head comes off. I know over the top gore is a thing in Fallout but I'm unsure if that's going to carry over in it's entirety. But yeah there appears to be some preliminary stuff. Whether or not that applies to crippling limbs though that remains to be seen.

Yes! We have no bananas.

(Hi, I'm new here, and this technically will be my first post ever on Obsidian.)

I look forward to seeing how the slow mo is handled in regards to improving it via skills, and yet making this game realistic in playability, pause-ability, and replay ability. Hopefully the previous Obsidian games will show what does and does not work.