Please, widescreen support (21:9) !

oh, it's very simple, in some engines the view model has its own field of view, on others it's tied with the general FOV settings, take Obivion, for example, you change the FOV, you change your field of view and the view model as well, in this game they made the conscious decision to lock the view model FOV, this is not a new engine, this is Unreal, so there are options to lock or unlock that...

Why in all that is holy they decided to continue locking that, I have no Idea... as I said before, right now all he can hope is that the fix this in the October Steam release but.. most likely not... this is a very, very easy fix, most likely they won't even bother fixing that when they release it on Steam, take this thread for example, last time someone said something to us was... 6 months ago, yeah...

Was holding out hope that they would finally release an ultrawide fix alongside the first DLC, but looks like no dice. I think it's safe to assume that at this point it's not going to happen, so it'd be appreciated if the devs would at least come out and confirm that the fix isn't coming so we can all move on with our lives. I'm tired of holding off on playing the game on the off-chance that an ultrawide fix does come down the line later on. If it's not happening, then please be honest and say as much instead of keeping us in the dark.

On 1/7/2020 at 4:44 PM, Shyla said:

Hello everyone. I want to let you know that we have been listening to everything that you are saying on these forums and that adding support for ultrawide screens is something that the team is continuing to investigate. Once I know more about what actions are being taken, I will share it with all of you. We appreciate all of the reports you are sending in, and we want to thank you for your patience while the team continues to investigate.

On 1/17/2020 at 4:28 PM, Shyla said:

I apologize for the amount of time this is taking us to resolve because I do understand how frustrating this is. Once I have something definite to share with you all I will. Thank you for your continued patience; we appreciate it while we continue to work on this.

Hi Dev team,

would really welcome any update on ultrawide. It was a positive development back in January that there was at least an acknowledgment of the issue, but after several patches and a DLC release there is still zero communication if this will ever be fixed. I am not holding my breath, would love to play the game, but in it's current form it's simply unplayable on ultrawide.

Thank you

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2020 at 7:47 AM, _brontosaurus said:

True ultrawide support when?

On 10/4/2020 at 7:47 AM, _brontosaurus said:

True ultrawide support when?

Never? Kind of amazing that these devs are tone deaf to PC gaming community. This is where PC gaming is headed, not flat 16:9 4K or "8K": 

https://youtu.be/1yRhk8iB2YU

I'm upgrading from my AW3418DW (120 Hz, IPS, 1800r curvature, 3440x1440) to this, super excited. I come here every month or so to see if any progress has been made and nope! Of course not. Over it many, too many good games on the back-burner to worry about this. 

My question is, how did a AAA title in 2018 not have support for anything other than 16:9? I truly do not understand this. And implementing wider aspect ratio's isn't even a hurdle from a technical perspective (if done from the beginning). I think the problem is that Obsidian assumed there would be no demand for anything other than 16:9, or very little demand, and chose to not even support it during the early stages of development and now the engine is built around 16:9 and what is required is more than changing a few lines of code, they would need to spend time to fix parts of the game that are 16:9 aspect ratio dependent, presumably certain cut-scenes etc. 

My disappointment is immeasurable. But, I will remember this debacle with any future Obsidian titles. 

Going forward, Obsidian, hear this: NO ULTRAWIDE SUPPORT = NO PURCHASE. 

Let's keep this alive, the game just got a new DLC, someone at Obisidian must be checking the game for new bugs, who knows? Maybe this will be the day? Or perhaps not, still... just remembering that it's 2020 and all top gaming monitors are UltraWide so... 

19 hours ago, Moraisu said:

Let's keep this alive, the game just got a new DLC, someone at Obisidian must be checking the game for new bugs, who knows? Maybe this will be the day? Or perhaps not, still... just remembering that it's 2020 and all top gaming monitors are UltraWide so... 

I just upgraded from my 21:9 panel to 32:9 (AW3418DW to Samsung Odyssey G9), I have zero hope of ever playing this game. Just checking in here as it's currently on sale for 50% off. 

The fact that they used to reply to this forum saying a fix was coming and have completely stopped replying once they updated the game with ultrawide support for loading screens and cut scenes makes it pretty clear that was their intended fix and nothing else is coming, especially since DLC and other updates have occured. 

I'd highly recommend anyone with an ultrawide monitor who already unfortunately owns the title, that they download a mod that has been available since Nov 2019. It's super easy to use, and I believe only requires a minor .ini tweak. There's also other graphical issues with the game anyways that require further .ini tweaks or mods to be installed anyways, so might as well do those at the same time too. 

Obsidian/Black Isle and that whole group was one of my favourite developers since the early Fallout days, and subsequent Fallout New Vegas days. This whole situation has really knocked them down a peg in my opinion. Since I doubt they'll fix this, I'm really hoping this is an isolated incident and that they get back to being the incredible developers I had believed they were for all future titles.

As I posted back in April (see below), even after the they claimed to have fixed the problem there are still glitches related to playing in widescreen. The image in my post was taken without using any mods, just the game in windowed fullscreen (or whatever they call it, I gave up on the game and forget the names of the view options). Of course, the real solution would still be to provide actual fullscreen support for widescreens, but even if they want to claim it's fixed because game assets were updated the glitchy scope I showed is clear evidence their "fix" wasn't complete.

Really a bummer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/28/2020 at 8:50 PM, Weathers said:

WOW. I didn't even think it was possible, this trainer works flawlessly at 32:9 (Samsung Odyssey G9), I'm so glad I lingered around here for so long, finally being able to play this game uncropped @ 32:9, it's amazing. I highly recommend anyone following this thread to try this trainer. You can tell the difference with it by pressing F8 to toggle it on and off. It zooms in so much it's ridiculous with it off!  Cut-scenes are uncropped, I've played for 5 hours yesterday (beginning of game, Edgewater) and so nothing glaringly anomalous with the trainer (the skybox clips a little on the sides only in Edgewater town @ 32:9 but you have to look for it) 

Thank you so much Weathers for posting this and thanks to Rose who made the trainer!

If any devs are reading / following this thread, please have a look at the trainer, that's all you need to do to implement Ultrawide support in the game!

Edited by vulcan78

• 1 year later...

I've been an Obsidian fan for as long as I can remember but after firing up this game again for a playthrough in 2022, I have to say I am once again disappointed by the lack of UWQHD compatibility and that this leaves a poor taste in my mouth. The decision not to prioritize this smacks of "lack of appropriate valuation by senior out-of-touch executive" since pretty much every enthusiastic gamer I know these days (not to mention most developers) uses some form of ultrawide (except perhaps the older dudes), and the fact that easily-implemented hacky, but imperfect, solutions exist, indicates that not even the LEAST developer effort was deemed necessary to expend on this.

In short, gross. Ever run a 3440x1440 in forced-stretched 2560x1440? You really should, because it's friggin' gross. Please consider supporting this on your next engine or game since it seems like a lost cause at this point here.

It's extra bizarre because the game is GORGEOUS and it continues to look that way in 3440x1440 via manual editing of the .ini file (albeit with top and bottom cropped too much, wonky FOV, and permanent inescapable dialog loop if you so much as open the Settings!)

Edited by Peter Marreck