Please, widescreen support (21:9) !

On 2/1/2020 at 2:44 PM, ComradeMaster said:

I think you're a bit delusional there, buddy boy.  As a fellow PC Master Race I see plenty of potential in 1080p, 1440p, and 2160 (4k) monitors that haven't been fully utilized yet.  You're like the alternative Rock/Punk Band who keeps squealing about how their music is secretly better yet nobody outside their niche really gives a **** despite giving it an honest chance.

Actually 4:3 is the best. 

But youre right, the niche rock band analogy is spot on, especially when we consider that 4:3 is hands down the superior aspect ratio. 

Look at how pointless the extra horizontal viewing area is in The Division for example: 

The fact is YOU DON'T NEED THAT AND THAT'S INFERIOR TO 16:9. 

The niche rock band analogy fits PERFECT and makes so much sense!

Thank you for proving to all of us at 21:9 or higher that 4:3 is the best! 

How could I have remained so deluded for so long! 

I'm throwing this panel into the garbage where it belongs and going with a 4:3 monitor. 

Edited by vulcan78
video spam removal

Hello everyone. Unfortunately I still don't have news on a resolution for this, but I did want to let you know that we are still working to find the best solution for this issue. We have not forgotten and we are still working on this. I'll be sure to let you know when I know more regarding this. 

Also, thank you for your continued patience on this issue, we appreciate it.

On 2/5/2020 at 9:23 PM, Shyla said:

Hello everyone. Unfortunately I still don't have news on a resolution for this, but I did want to let you know that we are still working to find the best solution for this issue. We have not forgotten and we are still working on this. I'll be sure to let you know when I know more regarding this. 

Thank you! Still waiting to play this game! Would love cutscenes rendered in 21:9 aswell if at all possible. So many games skip that step unfortunately!

• 2 weeks later...

As someone who codes for a living the time that it's taking to resolve this issue is rather embarrassing for my profession, it's a simple aspect ratio fix, unless the engine is so deeply hard-coded to 16:9 that the steps to fix it are just not viable, it can happen, there are a lot of game engines that are just so poorly written that there is just no way to fix it.

You have game engines that tied the physics to the frame-rate, you had that one Call of Duty that had the mouse sensitivity tied to the frame rate, heck, even iD Tech 3, the engine that powered Quake 3 had a bug where certain frame-rates would make you jump higher, but yeah... don't expect to receive an update, last patch was two months ago and not a single mention of another patch, that's about it, I guess.

There was mods released within 2 weeks of the game release that do a somewhat decent job of fixing the ultrawide issue. If one random person could do a so-so fix done that quickly, it definitely means its doable with this game and not an issue with the game engine. They're just not prioritizing this issue. Seems they don't really care and just want to placate us with 'working on it...'. I used to be a huge fan and lover of Obsidian, but their poor handling of this has drastically changed my opinion of them and their games. If they care so little about their own game, then why should I continue to sink in time and care about it too?

I want to point out I bought a $5 indie game that was released 3 years ago. Even that game had ultrawide support in it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2020 at 1:52 PM, Pric3d said:

Any update from the devs on this issue?

I doubt it going to happen.

Every game has 21:9, this is 2019-2020 after all. Many games release without but within a week or two they have 21:9 support. Fresh in my memory is Disco Elysium quickly added 21:9 within a couple of weeks.

Obsidian doesn't care. They're off courting Consoles.

Edit: Just patched to 1.3, Still doesn't support Fullscreen 3440x1400. In Windowed Fullscreen still has black boarders in cut scenes.

Edited by Accursed
Just patched....

• 3 weeks later...

Ultrawide support for loading screens and cinematics. Gameplay still only supports widescreen in "Windowed Fullscreen" mode as covered earlier in this thread. Even if you have a machine capable of taking the performance hit from running at a high resolution outside of actual Fullscreen mode, the game is broken in small ways that can be really distracting.

For example, see my attached image of what happens when you use a sight on a weapon. If you're playing a sniper (and I am), you see this a lot and it gets old. The sight is tiled on the far-left and -right sides of the screen. I've stopped playing until actual, complete widescreen support is added. It's ridiculous this still isn't fixed, but I'm hoping the updates to the loading screens and cinematics indicate they plan on adding complete widescreen support.

However, if tweaking the loading screens and cinematics so they aren't stretched (loading screens) or cropped (cinematics) is what Obsidian considers fixing widescreen, they're missing the point.

ow_rifle_zoom-small.png

• 4 weeks later...

Hello there,

Just began my first run, thanks for the gamepass; run it on a 32:9 screen, and this is zoomed in like hell; is this game now supports ultrawide since the last patch or not ?

Thanks

On 5/5/2020 at 9:05 PM, bubu said:

Hello there,

Just began my first run, thanks for the gamepass; run it on a 32:9 screen, and this is zoomed in like hell; is this game now supports ultrawide since the last patch or not ?

Thanks

Doesn't seem like it is for regular gameplay in fullscreen, I'm not sure I still haven't played it yet even though I've wanted to since release.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nope. It's still not fixed, which means I'm still not buying the game. It's a real shame, but as people have previously stated, it's 2020 and it's not like it's an esports game where the extra FOV gives you an advantage!

2 hours ago, Siyfion said:

Nope. It's still not fixed, which means I'm still not buying the game. It's a real shame, but as people have previously stated, it's 2020 and it's not like it's an esports game where the extra FOV gives you an advantage!

Yep, unbelievable, looks like I'm permanently skipping this game. 

Too many other compelling titles to play a game with broken FOV on my 21:9 ultrawide. I won't even get this at 75% off, I won't even play it for free. 

How they thought it was acceptable to release a game without 21:9 support in 2020 is beyond me. 

Horizon Zero Dawn? 

Day 1 ultrawide support. 

I will be sure to scrutinize any Obsidian titles in the future, no 21:9 support on those, no money from me. 

What's also awesome is that now all of my posts here require moderator approval, instead of paying a dev or two to implement proper ultrawide support apparently it's cheaper to pay moderators to simply censor criticism from their official forum. 

What a joke Obsidian is and has become. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2020 at 9:23 PM, Shyla said:

@Shyla Could you please clarify whether you are working on 21:9 specifically or even wider aspect ratios too? (32:9 was mentioned above; mine is approximately 3:1 [4360x1440 px].)

I asked in the Patch 1.3 topic, but got no answer.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, 42td said:

@Shyla Could you please clarify whether you are working on 21:9 specifically or even wider aspect ratios too? (32:9 was mentioned above; mine is approximately 3:1 [4360x1440 px].)

I asked in the Patch 1.3 topic, but got no answer.

Thanks!

They aren't ever going to address this issue. Addressing the issue entails paying a single programmer to change a few lines of code for 20 minutes. That they haven't done that yet means they will never do that. 

Just give it up and remove this game from any wish-list that you have it on. 

Edited by vulcan78

Is the support for this game dead? I guess all we can hope is for someone to fix it when the game launches on steam.

Now, seriously, we just need someone to fix the viewmodel, that's it, just that, nothing else...  yes, there are other issues but the viewmodel is the worse one.

16 hours ago, Moraisu said:

Is the support for this game dead? I guess all we can hope is for someone to fix it when the game launches on steam.

Now, seriously, we just need someone to fix the viewmodel, that's it, just that, nothing else...  yes, there are other issues but the viewmodel is the worse one.

On 8/19/2020 at 2:41 PM, _brontosaurus said:

How the hell is this still not patched?

What's crazy is that this is the longest running thread at the top of their Outer Worlds Technical Support forum, they have to be aware of our dissatisfaction with no ultrawide support, the question is, can they actually fix the issue from a technical perspective without having to re-write the entire rendering code or is this truly an issue that can be resolved in 20 minutes with a single programmer and they are just lazy. 

It would be great if someone from Obsidian would take this thread seriously and give us an honest answer but they don't do that, they just keep us hanging here going on two years. This is my last post here, I'm  unsubscribing from this thread, I don't have any faith that this game will ever be fixed in this regard and I'm also bothered by the fact that they can't give us an honest answer and are holding everyone up / keeping everyone in limbo expecting this to be fixed. 

They aren't going to fix it, they either can't from a technical perspective or they truly don't give a **** about a minority of the playerbase who has something other than a 16:9 panel. It's sad to say but the only language they know is money. By this logic, it's not worth spending a single dev an hours worth of labor to fix this game for maybe 500-1000 players waiting for ultrawide support. Yes, this math doesn't actually work ($50 of labor cost to sell the game to at least 500 players @ $30 on sale = $15,000) which leads me to conclude that there is some fundamental problem with the engine and implementing ultrawide support means having to remaking the entire game and they are embarrassed because they either didn't think to add ultrawide support at the outset of development or they didn't think there would be a demand for it. Give the length of this thread, there clearly is demand for it, but now they can't fix it and because they are embarrassed they can't come out and say "hey, we ****ed up, we can't implement ultrawide aspect ratio support because it would require remaking the entire game and all of the cut-scenes" so they just keep dangling us along with bull**** cookie cutter answers "we are currently looking into this issue!". 

Done and unsubscribed from this thread, it's been over a year now and going on two and honestly, **** this stupid game, too many other games in my backlog, this is a tremendous waste of time and energy.