Please, widescreen support (21:9) !

Hi there can you please fix a bug soon with the weapon (Long ranger) as everytime i look down the sight its just static and flickers of lines and light. As i always play as a sniper build. I would highly be greatful if you could adress this. Thank you.

This thread had over 12,000 views and multiple pages of concerns.  Not one useful response from the team that made the game.  Definitely never going to buy anything from these devs, pure laziness in this day and age not to add 21:9 support.  Hell, even indie companies do it.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Trauma_code said:

This thread had over 12,000 views and multiple pages of concerns.  Not one useful response from the team that made the game.  Definitely never going to buy anything from these devs, pure laziness in this day and age not to add 21:9 support.  Hell, even indie companies do it.

Insult to injury is that adding 21:9 support is simple. For the games that I have that don't have 21:9 support in cinematic sequences all that is required is changing two lines of code with a hex editor (Assassins Creed: Odyssey). It's not complicated, we are literally talking about 30 minutes of work tops. 

That they don't do it, that's a nice big fat "**** you" to anyone without a 16:9 panel. 

Them releasing a game that only works with a 16:9 panel is like a dev team making a game that only works with a 4:3 display in ~2005 when the Xbox 360 and PS3 were released and all games were then being made in 16:9 format up from 4:3 format. 

Everyone who can afford to do so is moving from 16:9 to 21:9, it's the next logical format evolution. Games look amazing and can now be pushed at 1440p 21:9 with current GPU hardware, ultrawide format movies fill up the entire display with no black bars, I could go on. This is where everyone is going who can afford to do so. That Obsidian release a near AAA game in 2019-2020 only in 16:9, seriously, clueless and I will never buy this game until it has proper ultrawide aspect ratio support. I don't support lazy devs and I never will. This game isnt worth $10 during a deep sale if the cut-scenes are 16:9 with black bars, stretched 16:9 and / or the gameplay is simply zoomed in 16:9 with the top and bottom missing, i.e. Overwatch, another game I don't own and apparently never will. 

Here's what I've been enjoying all recent titles from 2017 onward on, Destiny 2, Forza Horizon 4, XCOM 2: War of the Chosen, The Witcher 3, Resident Evil 2 remake, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Devil May Cry 5, and now the Division 2 just to name a few. Everything looks absolutely stunning in curved 21:9 and I'm never going back, not for The Outer Worlds or any other game. If it doesn't have 21:9 support I simply wont play it. I have too many amazing games still on the back-burner that I've yet to get to. 

The Division 2 16:9 vs 21:9 

Edited by vulcan78
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just a heads up everyone, a moderator deleted a paragraph long post of mine because it included a single line of profanity laden text directed at Obsidian. The entire post was deleted outright, with no opportunity to simply recover the singe use of profanity. Then I was threatened with a ban. 

Apparently this is how Obsidian is going to address this problem, by the use of censorship. Instead of fixing this glaring technical issue they are basically engaging in witch-hunting and are deleting posts and threatening members with a ban. 

For these reason I elect to never buy this title, even if ultrawide support is added. That this was not added from the get-go, that's just a huge insult to a growing minority of players with an ultrawide format monitor. 

I encourage everyone reading this to boycott Obisidian. They do not care about the PC playerbase. If they did native 21:9 support and higher would be there at launch. It's been what, 6 months now and we don't even have a single reply from them, that they are at least aware of the issue and working on a fix. That the fix in question is easy to make from a design and coding perspective is rather ominous. 

This game and Obsidian are irrelevant to me at this point and I will not be excited for any future titles released on PC. 

Good job Obsidian, instead of at minimum acknowledging that this is a problem and telling us whether or not a fix if forthcoming you resort to paying overhanded moderators to engage in cyber-bullying, Thought Police-esque behavior. 

Golf clap and done. 

This will be my last post here, I don't care if this ever gets fixed. I'm done with this game and Obsidian. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, vulcan78 said:

Good job Obsidian, instead of at minimum acknowledging that this is a problem and telling us whether or not a fix if forthcoming you resort to paying overhanded moderators to engage in cyber-bullying, Thought Police-esque behavior.  

Normally, we don't respond to public callouts but in this case I'd like to clear up a few common misconceptions:

Moderators are unpaid volunteers and we don't have any real contact with Obsidian developers. The notion that we know anything about tech issues or get directed to remove things by developers is simply wrong. My personal interaction with Obsidian devs has a single digit word count. Our single directive is to uphold the forum guidelines that everyone who creates an account here agrees to of their own free will. This includes profanity rules. Your post was removed solely because you failed to honor the rules that you yourself agreed to. Other members reported it, it was found in violation, and received the proper response. 

People often think that it's a strange choice to include profanity rules given some of Obsidian's games, but Obsidian has made multiple products (Star Wars IP, Dungeons & Dragons IP) and will continue to release products (Grounded) that are fit for children and as such the forum guidelines reflect that. We moderators don't know or care about your monitor issue, and even if we did there is literally no way for us to relay that to actual developers. The only thing we care about is that people act respectful and follow the forum rules.

For your tech issue, you are probably better off contacting support than talking to us because we have about as much direct contact with the devs as you do. It is unlikely devs will catch it here. The fact you got a green to respond means it's been noticed, but that's the exception and not the rule. The description of this forum literally says:

"Having a problem with The Outer Worlds? This forum is for players to assist each other with technical questions."

I trust this is clear enough for everybody and to not further derail this thread. If anyone wishes to discuss it further, they can contact our squad leader Fionavar. If you've forgotten or are confused about the tiny handful of forum guidelines we enforce, there's a link to it in the corner of the forum and I'll leave one here: https://forums.obsidian.net/announcement/35-forum-guidelines/

I'm running a 32:9.

Ultrawide does work, you just need to manually tweak FOV from the GameUserSettins.ini file to ~145, otherwise the image is too "zoomed". (CustomFieldOfView=145.000000)

Bad Workaround I know. Somehow it seems to be a thing that in-engine cutscenes render at 16:9 regardless of the game.

Edited by Sipu

Hello everyone. I want to let you know that we have been listening to everything that you are saying on these forums and that adding support for ultrawide screens is something that the team is continuing to investigate. Once I know more about what actions are being taken, I will share it with all of you. We appreciate all of the reports you are sending in, and we want to thank you for your patience while the team continues to investigate.

• Thanks 1

On 1/8/2020 at 1:44 AM, Shyla said:

Hello everyone. I want to let you know that we have been listening to everything that you are saying on these forums and that adding support for ultrawide screens is something that the team is continuing to investigate. Once I know more about what actions are being taken, I will share it with all of you. We appreciate all of the reports you are sending in, and we want to thank you for your patience while the team continues to investigate.

Thanks I guess? How did at minimum 21:9 support not make it into the development process? It's 2020, ultrawide support should be standard unless youre making a game for Android. 

Seriously fail. 

Now those of us with something other than garbage tier flat 16:9 can wait around until, mid-2020 or 2021 before the game properly supports UW? Oh well, the upside is that by then I will be able to get the game for $20. 

Next time ultrawide support out of the gate, it's literally 30 minutes of work and you can get $60 from those of us who want to buy the game during the excitement. Now I will just wait until it goes on sale. 

Golf clap for stupid decisions. 

How much money did you save not implementing ultrawide support from the get go? 30 minutes of dev time at what, $50 an hour? Ok, now how many thousands of us with ultrawide monitors didn't buy the game at full price at launch and will now just wait until it goes on sale for $20 because the excitement media press buzz has died down and we have AAA titles fast approaching on the horizon, all of which WILL have ultrawide support right at launch: Doom Eternal, Cyberpunk 2077 etc. 

Moral of the story is hmmmm, I don't know, implement basic features at launch? 21:9 and higher support IS A BASIC FEATURE. 

You mean to tell me NO-ONE on your dev team uses a curved 21:9 or 32:9 panel for gaming and was like "hey we should implement ultrawide support right at launch for the PC release"? 

I find that hard to believe. 

Get with the times man, seriously. 

Do yourself a favor and get a curved 21:9 panel. 

There's NO going back to flat 16:9, EVER. 

Edited by 213374U
video spam removal

@vulcan78 This is definitely a situation that we are learning from and will take the knowledge we have gained and apply it to the future. I do appreciate your comment and the fact that you took the time to share with us, and I want to apologize for the inconvenience this has been. As soon as I know what we will be doing in regard to this, I will let you and others know.

• Thanks 1

On 1/8/2020 at 7:04 PM, Shyla said:

@vulcan78 This is definitely a situation that we are learning from and will take the knowledge we have gained and apply it to the future. I do appreciate your comment and the fact that you took the time to share with us, and I want to apologize for the inconvenience this has been. As soon as I know what we will be doing in regard to this, I will let you and others know.

@Shyla   Thanks for the update!!

On 1/8/2020 at 11:04 AM, Shyla said:

So, yeah as someone that bought it on day one, was disappointed at no wide screen support, and has been waiting for it to be added so I can play it in full wide screen support glory, I also wanted to add my 2 cents. 21:9 ASAP please.

I apologize for the amount of time this is taking us to resolve because I do understand how frustrating this is. Once I have something definite to share with you all I will. Thank you for your continued patience; we appreciate it while we continue to work on this.

Definitely a big +1 for ultrawide support! There have been mods available since November, and .ini file tweaks I've been forced to do to make ultrawide work. Ultrawide isn't super niche anymore in 2020, so I shouldn't have to result to work arounds unless it's a super small budget indie game. Since a nobody like me has had working ultrawide since Nov, I'm curious why the developers are taking so long. 

Are there any updates for native support of ultrawide without all the work arounds on our end?

10 hours ago, Matt BK said:

Definitely a big +1 for ultrawide support! There have been mods available since November, and .ini file tweaks I've been forced to do to make ultrawide work. Ultrawide isn't super niche anymore in 2020, so I shouldn't have to result to work arounds unless it's a super small budget indie game. Since a nobody like me has had working ultrawide since Nov, I'm curious why the developers are taking so long. 

Are there any updates for native support of ultrawide without all the work arounds on our end?

If I can add ultrawide support to say, Assassins Creed: Odyssey, by changing two lines of code with a hex editor, taking 5 minutes tops, how long would it take a dev to do this properly on their end? 30-60 minutes tops? 

Half an hour of work but they cant do it. It's just too much. 

On 1/26/2020 at 3:33 AM, vulcan78 said:

f I can add ultrawide support to say, Assassin

They utilise different engines, but I'd wager changing code should be relatively easy- It's obviously down to rubbihsh quality control or a group of devs/busines managers that don't care. 

On 1/8/2020 at 2:11 PM, vulcan78 said:

Thanks I guess? How did at minimum 21:9 support not make it into the development process? It's 2020, ultrawide support should be standard unless youre making a game for Android. 

Seriously fail. 

Indeed. This thread was out there before the game even came out. 

I am glad that finally there is at least an update on this issue. I tried to play the game as is but lost interest very fast due to the visuals being so bad on UW. Glad the game was on Gamepass, otherwise I would have refunded the game right away.

Still puzzled, that a game with so much potential as OW gets released in 2019 without support for UW.

Also looking for aspect ratio correction. As it is right now my 32:9 aspect ratio is almost unplayable at my native resolution, it is way too zoomed in as is, even at 120 FOV. Combat feels unnatural and I am unable to see certain parts of the model. I just don't understand how it was an oversight at the beginning and through the game development. I can understand my aspect ratio 32:9, but 21:9 which is getting fairly common now and at another extent 49:9 (Eyefinity/Surround) has been out for years and I am certain there are a number of people with multiple monitor setups that should have tested the game.

Only conclusion is that the game was just made for console and they said to hell with PC. If that's the case why should we support those developers then? I will never buy FPS or shooter games on a console so I suppose I'll be forgoing future purchases from Obsidian.

20 hours ago, Warsaw said:

Also looking for aspect ratio correction. As it is right now my 32:9 aspect ratio is almost unplayable at my native resolution, it is way too zoomed in as is, even at 120 FOV. Combat feels unnatural and I am unable to see certain parts of the model. I just don't understand how it was an oversight at the beginning and through the game development. I can understand my aspect ratio 32:9, but 21:9 which is getting fairly common now and at another extent 49:9 (Eyefinity/Surround) has been out for years and I am certain there are a number of people with multiple monitor setups that should have tested the game.

Only conclusion is that the game was just made for console and they said to hell with PC. If that's the case why should we support those developers then? I will never buy FPS or shooter games on a console so I suppose I'll be forgoing future purchases from Obsidian.

Exactly. Great question. Why are we supporting Obsidian? 

If you have ultrawide, don't support them. 

My back-log is so extensive, I literally have like 15-20 titles spanning from 2015 to present that I've yet to play or finish, nearly all of which have flawless native widescreen support. I don't need this game. 

If you have an ultrawide monitor, send Obsidian a message and don't buy the game. 

Seriously though 21:9 support should be standard considering it takes next-to-zero effort, manpower or money to implement. 

If I can fix UW support by changing two lines of code in 5 minutes then how long would this take on a developers end? 

I mean accounting for the fact that yeah, they may have to rework the UI elements for aspect ratio's above 16:9, this isn't hard. We are talking about this literally being a 1 hour problem for a developer to fix. 

The only reason I can think as to why this isn't fixed is that, as the old saying goes, "there is no such thing as bad press when it comes to trying to sell a product", they are hoping that piddly stupid little controversies keep this game active among various PC technical outlets (i.e. Digital Foundry etc.) "they still haven't fixed ultrawide support". I mean I have no other explanation. 

I can tell you this though, at 6 months past release with only one comment amounting to "We heard you" made 2 months ago with nothing new since I am basically going to boycott the title on those grounds. 

**** this game. 

Straight up. 

I have SO many games on my back-log, I don't need it. Like there's nothing revolutionary or special about this title. 

Maybe they will implement ultra-wide support 2 years down the road, I won't care. I can't imagine how much money they lost that would have come from those of us sporting 21:9 / 32:9 panels that refused to buy (I'm sure it's way more than the cost of one engineer working for one hour at $50 an hour to implement ultrawide support). 

The profit Obsidian would have made from myself and at least, I don't know, 500-1000 others with ultrawide panels who refused to buy the game would be enough to pay 20 engineers working on this issue 24 hours a day for two months straight. 

It's SO easy to implement, I'm not being sarcastic at all when I say that we're talking about 1 hour of time from one developer tops. 

Edited by 213374U
video spam removal

@Shyla 

On 1/18/2020 at 10:58 AM, Shyla said:

I apologize for the amount of time this is taking us to resolve because I do understand how frustrating this is. Once I have something definite to share with you all I will. Thank you for your continued patience; we appreciate it while we continue to work on this.

Is there any update at all on this? If the developers aren't going to address this, It would be great if you could just let us know to save us waiting. 

Already lost interest in this game, I don't care if they fix it now or not.  Never buying a game from this company purely on principle.  I'll also go out of my way to save this forum link for anyone on the fence in the future to let them see how devs give lip service but couldn't care less about supporting their consumers.

On 1/7/2020 at 10:41 PM, vulcan78 said:

There's NO going back to flat 16:9, EVER. 

I think you're a bit delusional there, buddy boy.  As a fellow PC Master Race I see plenty of potential in 1080p, 1440p, and 2160 (4k) monitors that haven't been fully utilized yet.  You're like the alternative Rock/Punk Band who keeps squealing about how their music is secretly better yet nobody outside their niche really gives a **** despite giving it an honest chance.